WRT54G Stopped Working

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 26, 2004 4:16:13 AM

Spent over 2 hours on the phone with Linksys and still can't get it
working. Wanted to know if they just up and fail. Symptoms, if I go from
my Westell DSL Modem straight to my ethernet connection on my IBM
desktop, I can connect. If I go from my modem to the router then from
one of the router's ethernet outlets to the ethernet card, I can't
connect. I tried each outlet on the router and swapping ethernet cables.
Want to hear somethin else strange, I swapped to my laptop and it
worked. Went to Best Buy and bought a new ethernet card figuring mine
was an older model, did not help. When I tried to run the net self help
program that linksys recommended, it says it can't communicate with the
router. I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : wrt54g stopped working

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:41:14 AM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 01:16:13 -0500, Michael Greene
<wgreene63@netscape.net> wrote:

>Spent over 2 hours on the phone with Linksys and still can't get it
>working. Wanted to know if they just up and fail. Symptoms, if I go from
>my Westell DSL Modem straight to my ethernet connection on my IBM
>desktop, I can connect. If I go from my modem to the router then from
>one of the router's ethernet outlets to the ethernet card, I can't
>connect. I tried each outlet on the router and swapping ethernet cables.
>Want to hear somethin else strange, I swapped to my laptop and it
>worked. Went to Best Buy and bought a new ethernet card figuring mine
>was an older model, did not help. When I tried to run the net self help
>program that linksys recommended, it says it can't communicate with the
>router. I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.

A tough problem. I like those.

1. Check the lights on the WRT54G and your ethernet card and between
the modem and the router. Are they correct? I know you tested the
cable and each jack, but are the lights indicating a proper
connection?

2. I assume by "stopped working" that it was working before? What
changed? A worm, virus, spyware, or trojan? Sometimes removing these
causes the IP stack to go insane. See:
http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/for_winsockxpfix.html

3. I assume that the unspecified "self help" program is run on the
IBM computah. "cant communicate" does not necessarily mean that it
can't talk to the router. It could be trying to ping through the
whole system. Do some simple diagnostics. Do you have an IP address
from the router?
Start -> Run -> cmd
IPCONFIG
If 192.168.1.xxx, it's working.
If 169.254.xxx.xxx, DHCP failed to deliver an IP address.
If 0.0.0.0, give it some more time to try or give up.

4. If you are getting a valid IP address, point your web browser to
the gateway IP address (which is the router LAN IP address). Do you
get a web page login? If so, the router is working and all you need
to do is configure it for whatever login/password ordeal is required
to connect to your unspecified ISP. From your header, it shows
bellsouth.net, which does use PPPeE in some areas. The router login
replaces whatever you're currently using for a PPPoE client. When
it's working, I suggest you remove the PPPoE client and all the
associated junkware. However, if it really was working before, this
may not apply.

5. Since it works with the laptop but not the desktop, it's a fair
assumption that it's something broken on the desktop, or that there's
some software difference between the two computahs. Are you still
trying to use a PPPoE dialer on both? Can you borrow another laptop
and make it 2 out of 3 to be sure it's the IBM desktop and not the
router?

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:23:27 PM

My router DHCP fails to give a good IP address occasionally, I haven't
worked out why yet. Try ipconfig from a dos window and verify that your PC
localnet IP address is valid for your subnet; if it isn't then try rebooting
the PC and router. Can you ping the router from the PC?

!