Dual Boot XP pro and XP 64bit ???

J_men

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005
I'm getting a A64 soon and was thinking about getting the 64bit beta of XP, but I heard you can only use it for a year, and cos it's a beta it's going to be buggy right?

Is it possible to dual boot operating systems with XP or is that something that can only be done with NT4 and 2000. If it is possible is it as easy as installing the OS from my current version of XP pro???

TheCh0s3n1

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Is it possible to dual boot operating systems with XP or is that something that can only be done with NT4 and 2000.
Yes, it is possible to dual boot OS's with XP (i.e. 98&XP, ME&XP, and other variations)

If it is possible is it as easy as installing the OS from my current version of XP pro???
It can be easy. In a nutshell, this is what it entails:
1. Boot from a DOS floppy and run FDISK
2. Delete, then recreate the partitions (primary, extended, and logical)
3. Install Windows 9x on C:\
4. Install Windows XP on D:\

Important thing is that the installation order should be, oldest OS (first) to newest OS (last).

J_men

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2005
Sure they have to be on different partitions? I had NT4 and 98 running on the same drive on one of my past machines. Is there any way of keeping my current OS other than actually getting another physical hard drive, (will probably do this at some point any way)

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Thech0s3n1 was more than likely describing creating another partition on the same drive from the available space on that drive. This is normally done all the time. You don't need a second drive. You do need to think some about how much space you need to allocate for the other OS.

TRENDING THREADS