2.4 cordless phone and 2.4g network

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

just set up a wireless network runs great, just started voip, and i need a
expandable phone system. was given a att 2.4 dss system with 3 handset,
great. everything works. maybe

will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g
phone system?

More about cordless phone network
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:49:19 GMT, steve spoketh

    >just set up a wireless network runs great, just started voip, and i need a
    >expandable phone system. was given a att 2.4 dss system with 3 handset,
    >great. everything works. maybe
    >
    >will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g
    >phone system?

    Well, the DSS phone should not interfere, the only way to know for sure
    is to test it ...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    yes it is a dss, is that the key?

    "Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:49:19 GMT, steve spoketh
    >
    >>just set up a wireless network runs great, just started voip, and i need
    >>expandable phone system. was given a att 2.4 dss system with 3 handset,
    >>great. everything works. maybe
    >>
    >>will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g
    >>phone system?

    > Well, the DSS phone should not interfere, the only way to know for sure
    > is to test it ...
    >
    > Lars M. Hansen
    > http://www.hansenonline.net
    > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    My panasonic is DSS, and I have no observable problems.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    Lars M. Hansen wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:49:19 GMT, steve spoketh
    >

    >>just set up a wireless network runs great, just started voip, and i need a
    >>expandable phone system. was given a att 2.4 dss system with 3 handset,
    >>great. everything works. maybe
    >>
    >>will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g
    >>phone system?

    > Well, the DSS phone should not interfere, the only way to know for sure
    > is to test it ...
    >
    > Lars M. Hansen
    > http://www.hansenonline.net
    > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
    There may be some speed degradation, or retransmissions, during phone
    use, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints about this.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    In a word, yes. I have an 802.11g router and a 2.4g cordless phone. If I'm
    sitting at my laptop and I start talking on my coordless phone, BLAMMO, I
    lose my wireless network connection. There's little you can do about this.
    Because it's spread spectrum (802.11) switching the channel will be of
    little help, although you should try experimenting. But there's a double
    whammy with that: your cordless phone often switches channels too, and
    automatically. The next time you talk on it, it may have decided that the
    place you set your router is the best frequency range and so you just spend
    your time chasing rainbows. Believe it or not, a number of people I know
    have actually kept their old cheap 900 mhz cordless phones and they have no
    trouble whatsoever.

    Paul

    "steve" <steve@steve.net> wrote in message
    > just set up a wireless network runs great, just started voip, and i need
    > expandable phone system. was given a att 2.4 dss system with 3 handset,
    > great. everything works. maybe
    >
    > will the cordless phones screw up the network, or do i have to get a 5.8g
    > phone system?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    FHSS phones will hose up your wireless. DSS won't.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    Pablo wrote:
    > In a word, yes. I have an 802.11g router and a 2.4g cordless phone. If I'm
    > sitting at my laptop and I start talking on my coordless phone, BLAMMO, I
    > lose my wireless network connection. There's little you can do about this.
    > Because it's spread spectrum (802.11) switching the channel will be of
    > little help, although you should try experimenting. But there's a double
    > whammy with that: your cordless phone often switches channels too, and
    > automatically. The next time you talk on it, it may have decided that the
    > place you set your router is the best frequency range and so you just spend
    > your time chasing rainbows. Believe it or not, a number of people I know
    > have actually kept their old cheap 900 mhz cordless phones and they have no
    > trouble whatsoever.

    < SNIPPED >

    Unlike others, I have yet to experience any conflicts between my
    wireless G products and my 2.4GHz cordless phone. I am on the internet
    several hours a day and Often, I talk on my cordless phone while surfing
    the 'net using my wireless enabled notebook pc on my lap. Lucky me, huh?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message news:Rcptd.96848> <
    SNIPPED >

    > Unlike others, I have yet to experience any conflicts between my
    > wireless G products and my 2.4GHz cordless phone. I am on the internet
    > several hours a day and Often, I talk on my cordless phone while surfing
    > the 'net using my wireless enabled notebook pc on my lap. Lucky me, huh?

    I'd say you did get lucky. Dave Van Horn above, replied that DSS phones
    won't interfere, so it's possible you have an FHSS phone. Frankly, all I
    know is I have a Uniden 2.4gig cordless. My 802.11g signal is good all the
    way throughout the house, but if someone gets on that phone and stands
    between the router and me, let alone I talk on the phone while sitting at
    the laptop, it's all gone. And with my house, being anywhere in the house
    is being between my router and me. I have a three story (with basement)
    house, and the router (linksys wrt54g) sits in the basement, so the signal
    goes up vertically through all the floors nicely. But if I'm upstairs and
    someone's on the first floor, I'm dead.

    Paul
  9. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:08:57 GMT, steve spoketh

    >yes it is a dss, is that the key?

    Yes, that is pretty much the solution.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
  10. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    Pablo wrote:
    > "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message news:Rcptd.96848> <
    > SNIPPED >
    >
    >>Unlike others, I have yet to experience any conflicts between my
    >>wireless G products and my 2.4GHz cordless phone. I am on the internet
    >>several hours a day and Often, I talk on my cordless phone while surfing
    >>the 'net using my wireless enabled notebook pc on my lap. Lucky me, huh?
    >

    > I'd say you did get lucky. Dave Van Horn above, replied that DSS phones
    > won't interfere, so it's possible you have an FHSS phone. Frankly, all I
    > know is I have a Uniden 2.4gig cordless. My 802.11g signal is good all the
    > way throughout the house, but if someone gets on that phone and stands
    > between the router and me, let alone I talk on the phone while sitting at
    > the laptop, it's all gone. And with my house, being anywhere in the house
    > is being between my router and me. I have a three story (with basement)
    > house, and the router (linksys wrt54g) sits in the basement, so the signal
    > goes up vertically through all the floors nicely. But if I'm upstairs and
    > someone's on the first floor, I'm dead.
    >
    > Paul

    Bummer! How do you plan on resolving your issue? Will you try a
    different brand cordless phone? My cordless phone is a GE 2.4GHz (model
    2108GE2-A).
  11. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:27:46 GMT, Doug Jamal spoketh

    >Bummer! How do you plan on resolving your issue? Will you try a
    >different brand cordless phone? My cordless phone is a GE 2.4GHz (model
    >2108GE2-A).

    I have a VTech 2651, which is a 2.4GHz DSS phone, and it does not
    interfere with my wireless network...

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net
  12. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    I'm in need of a new phone, best for here would be one with a separate
    remote charger/handset.
    I dunno 2.4gHz telephony - read that many 2.4 DSS phones use FHSS for added
    security.
    How do we read the box or otherwise determine which DSS phones don't use
    frequency hopping ?

    "Dave VanHorn" <dvanhorn@cedar.net> wrote in message

    > FHSS phones will hose up your wireless. DSS won't.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    > I dunno 2.4gHz telephony - read that many 2.4 DSS phones use FHSS for
    > added
    > security.
    > How do we read the box or otherwise determine which DSS phones don't use
    > frequency hopping ?

    A phone will use one or the other system. Not both.

    Mine said it was DSS on the box.
    If in doubt, bring a receiver, and see if you see carrier bursts. If so,
    it's hopping.
    An Icom IC-R3 is really handy for this.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    "Doug Jamal" <bishiv6AT@yahooDOT.com> wrote in message
    [SNIP]

    > > goes up vertically through all the floors nicely. But if I'm upstairs
    and
    > > someone's on the first floor, I'm dead.
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >

    > Bummer! How do you plan on resolving your issue? Will you try a
    > different brand cordless phone? My cordless phone is a GE 2.4GHz (model
    > 2108GE2-A).

    Actually, I hate to sound defeatist, but I don't intend on solving it. If I
    were running a home business and needed constant connectivity through wind,
    rain and snow, I'd probably do something about it. But we use the laptop as
    a mobile web/browser, email device, mp3 ripper and we have an old fashioned
    wired desktop system that's the real workhorse. If someone gets on the
    phone, we wait until they're off. If it's real important that the laptop
    continue to work, we call that person back on one of our cell phones.
    Eventually we'll probably buy a 5.8ghz phone, and just get off the 2.4g band
    altogether.

    Paul
  15. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    Just curious, why not a 900 mhz phone? That solved it for my household.

    Pablo wrote:

    > Actually, I hate to sound defeatist, but I don't intend on solving it. If I
    > were running a home business and needed constant connectivity through wind,
    > rain and snow, I'd probably do something about it. But we use the laptop as
    > a mobile web/browser, email device, mp3 ripper and we have an old fashioned
    > wired desktop system that's the real workhorse. If someone gets on the
    > phone, we wait until they're off. If it's real important that the laptop
    > continue to work, we call that person back on one of our cell phones.
    > Eventually we'll probably buy a 5.8ghz phone, and just get off the 2.4g band
    > altogether.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers (More info?)

    We don't own one. And we don't intend on buying a new cordless at the
    moment. Like I said, no real rush to fix the problem, it's what you would
    call a workable problem. And again, if I were going to go out any buy a new
    cordless, I'd probably go buy one of the new 5.8ghz.

    Paul

    "Airman Thunderbird" <airman.basic@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just curious, why not a 900 mhz phone? That solved it for my household.

Phones Cordless Phone Wireless Networking