I just ordered a MSI K7T266 Pro!

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Well I finally did it. I made the last decision for my new PC. I went with the newly available MSI K7T266 Pro (MS-6380). I paid $159 including shipping. Now I have to get to ordering all those parts I been holding off on untill now. My complete system will be as follows;
-MSI K7T266 Pro
-Athlon "C" 1.2GHz/ CEK something CPU Fan (AMD recommended)
-Enlight 7237 Mid-Tower with 400Watte Sparkle Power supply
-Extra Case Fan
-256 MB PC2100 CAS/CL 2.5 Crucail not avail, so Samsung ok?
-32MB 5.5ns DDR Leadtek GF2 Pro
-SB X-Gamer, or maybe just SB Live Value.
-46.1GB IBM Deskstar GXP
-50x Asus CD-ROM
-19" KDS AV-195TF
I think thats about it. What ya think?

A revision to mpjesse's signature;
"My Signature Sucks"

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Booky that sounds to be a great system! Congradulations....You must be a gamer like me.

For the RAM are you buying to sticks of 128MB? Also, do you have to put 2 sticks in at a time or can you put just one stick of RAM on that motherboard?

For the sound card you might consider the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Creative gets more press than Turtle Beach but they make better cards. Also the SB family is very old and the Santa Cruz is a new product. Anyhow, just something to consider. I'd like to hear how things work out since I believe I'll be buying the same motherboard, processor, and video card....Chris

It worked yesterday! :lol:

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
"For the RAM are you buying to sticks of 128MB? Also, do you have to put 2 sticks in at a time or can you put just one stick of RAM on that motherboard?"

I plan on 1 stick of 256MB PC2100. I really want crucial but there not available in PC2100 yet so I think I may go with Samsung or Corsair.

"For the sound card you might consider the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz."

Does it support Sound Blaster? My Microsoft Sidwinder Force Feedback says it needs a 100% Sound Blaster compatable sound card to work right. I don't really know what sound has to do with a stick but it says so.

"My Signature Sucks"

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
First of all where did you order it from? I have been waiting 6 months for this board to become available and I want it now!!! Iwill tell them anything they want to hear so that you get a discount on your next purchase.

Second I have read good things about the Samsung memory. Its argueably the best. If you can (Idont rember) put a 256 stick in now and 256 later. I dont think you can go wrong investing in DDR memory.

The Sidewinder and sound (blaster) question may have some merit. I can trace many problems playing games to my sound drivers. Whenever I used to reload my drivers I would have different problems. Once I got it working pretty good and was happy, I found my newest sound drivers. Well that changed things again. I always thought it was a direct X problem. But I do have a sidewinder game pad and blaster compatable? on board sound.

All being said First Thing Monday I want to order one!!!
Pleeease tell me how!

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

mwgorecki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
It has been my expierence that <b>NOTHING</b> is 100% Sound Blaster compatible. If you are a gamer, aren't we all, then stay away from anything not Sound Blaster.

sz
<A HREF="mailto: mwgorecki1@home.com "> mwgorecki1@home.com </A>

G

Before you buy that memory see this!

http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=ddrshootout&page=1&mscssid=&tp=

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I was origionally going to buy from CDExpress, but after reviewing resellerratings.com I decided to go with Allstar Microelectronic Inc. These two companies were the only ones listed on pricewatch as of yesterday night.

"My Signature Sucks"

G

Hey Booky congrats man! u inspired me, i read your post and decided i waited too long also, and took the dive with you!!, got me the MSI KT266 pro raid setup with a 1.333 GHZ 266 TBird!, so congrats and thanx!! whos next to join the group?? hehe
-hottnikkz
PS- Sorry if this post was moronic but i was way 2 excited not to say thanx

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Count me in....I am going to wait for the reviews of the MSI K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) though...

Addtronics 6896 Hot Rod Edition(Modified by Coolcases.com )
Sparkle 350 W Power Supply
GeForce 3
IBM 75GXP 75 Gigabyte Hard Drive
1.33 GHz Athlon Type C
128 MB PC2100 Crucial
Alpha PEP66T Heat Sink
Ricoh 9120MPA CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Still debating the sound cards though....

mwgorecki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I have had good results with Allstar. UPS said they delivered a package, but did not. Allstar was on their butt that day and UPS delivered my package the next day.

sz
<A HREF="mailto: mwgorecki1@home.com "> mwgorecki1@home.com </A>

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Booky,

I want to use an Alpha PEP66T Heatsink with that motherboard. What heat sink did you use? Also is there enough room for a very large heatsink/fan combination on that board in your opinion?

G

Where can I find a review of this MSI board? It looks really good especially with the 4 DIMM slots. BTW, nice f---ing system! I can't wait till I build mine.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Your welcome! I too am excited but can't get too excited untill the board arives on Tue. or Wed.

"My Signature Sucks"

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I am going to use a Taisol CEK747092. I am also getting the 1.33 Athlon. I can't say for sure how much room there will be, but im sure there is plenty. I have not recieved the board yet, due on Tue. or Wed. I am a big overclocker so I don't need a huge HS/Fan, I will use the above one from Taisol. I will pair that with a extra case fan too. Should be plenty to keep her cool.

"My Signature Sucks"

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Great that Allstar is what there ratings say. Im in AZ so I suspect that a 2 or 3 day ship should be it. Also where you sarcastic about saying your glad you got the A7M266 or was that serious? I had to ask hehe.

"My Signature Sucks"

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Well hot dam, to make my system even better I just ordered 512MB of PC2100 from Crucial.com for $217.33, that includes taxes. Free shipping. I love this, its all comming together now.

"My Signature Sucks"

G

How about an update when you guys put your systems together? I'd love to hear how you find that board since I am considering buying one myself but I haven't seen any decent reviews on it yet.

Wayne

mwgorecki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I hope to post with the new system before Easter weekend. I am waiting on the motherboard and CPU right now. The rest is here in my computer room!

sz

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Well I have got my system up and running. It is way fast but I haven't got connected to download 3dmark to run a test. I did have one small problem in beginning and that was that when install the 4 in 1 drivers don't install the agp VxD drivers if you use a PCI graphics card. Hehe I was stupid and did that, only driver I could get to work was standard PCI vga mode. So I reformated and reinstall WIN98SE and the 4 in 1 driver 4.29, all but the AGP VxD and everything works great. Also note that the jumper for the audio is missing so it has to be enabled or disabled in BIOS. I also don't know if it is MB or Case problem but I have my LED for Power and Disk activity pluged into the correct spots but they never light up, so I am going to email them about that. I also ended up getting a 300 watt PS instead of 400 and it seems to be doing fine. I am going to find a AGP card to order tonight and a sound card also. By the time they get here my new house should have internet set up and I can get 3dmark2001 to get a benchmark for you. I'll let ya know what the score is. Oh and I got 512MB of PC2100 Crucial in it and running stable at CAS 2. One more thing is I don't use the PC to PC networking but it comes with everything, even the USB cables.

"My Signature Sucks"