Can't get ME and 98 to communicate

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I am currently setting up my first home network. I have gotten everything hooked up but cannot get half the computers to recognize they are on a network. My Win XP Pro system can access other computers without any trouble. The ME (one) and 98 (two) computers will not even recognize they are on a network when I try file and printer sharing. Any idea what could be going wrong, or what setting I could be missing.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the 98 and me computers wont talk to eachother or they wont talk to the xp machine.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

motofan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
Did you set up the proper protocols like TCP/IP, NetBEUI, IPX... and IP address to each machine?

You can ping 127.0.0.1(local) and ping other computers (disable firewall in winXP) to check if the IP works.

:cool: :smile:
<font color=blue><b>God's in His Heaven
All's Right with The World!</b></font color=blue>

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
I finally gave up and used a DLINK DI-704P router. One minute later all was up and running. This router has it's own printer sharing connection and software-Parallel or serial. Handles the Cable modem too.

Almost instant setup for three computers:
XP
WIN98
plus a laptop infected with Microsoft ME (delivered that way).

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
how is the net layed out? Is there a hub/switch? Like another poster said, is TCP/IP installed? What IP addresses are you using? Dynamic? Static?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I have all the protocols installed and I am using dynamic IP's.

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.