Smartphone/PDA Plan

Hi All,
I just purchased the unlimited plan for my Treo600.
Can someone tell me in non-Verizonese language what this includes?
Does it include SMS messages? Do my SMS messages take airtime?
I was under the impression this included internet, e-mail and messages.
Thanks much,
Paul
14 answers Last reply
More about smartphone plan

    > Can someone tell me in non-Verizonese language what this includes?
    > Does it include SMS messages? Do my SMS messages take airtime?

    -> In most cases the safe bet is to call customer service at '611' and ask
    them.
    611 is always a free call.

    If you had signed up for the "normal" america's choice deal, it's likely a
    feature
    called National Access would have appeared on your bill automatically. This
    enables one to use their minutes for either voice or data period. Easy to
    understand, and cost is the best (if you ask me). This includes both the
    high speed 1x national access data, and QNC 14.4K data, and normal
    voice calls. Whatever you use, you are simply billed minutes. You then
    buy enough minutes to cover your intended usage. This becomes an
    especially good deal every night and weekend when your usage costs you
    nothing (because of unlimited nights and weekends).

    OK, back to the plan you signed up for. It's a data-only plan which means
    you will be billed 25 cents/minute if you make a voice call, and if you
    connect via QNC data. In other words, you have a data-only unlimited
    plan for national access 1x type data.

    Text messages are billed separately on both plans (AC and PDA plan)
    and none are included. You can add a text plan to each line as needed
    for additional monthly charge.

    The exception to this is if you connect via your data service and
    send them email. Note that gateways do exist to convert your email
    to SMS without additional charge to you. i.e.
    <phone number>@mobile.att.net (for AT&T)
    <phone or alias>@vtext.com (for Verizon)

    Note your friend who receives your email message via SMS may
    be billed for that message according to their plan, and they may
    or may not have issues replying correctly to your email address.

    Also, if they send to your email address, the phone will not alert you
    to the new incoming message automatically like SMS does, save
    some special setup with Snappermail configured to check mail
    every X minutes and tells you new mail has arrived...

    If it were me, there is no way in hell I'd ever choose Verizon
    for data. If I needed unlimited data I'd choose T-Mobile who
    has a sensible add-on to their voice plans for unlimited at
    $20/mo. On Verizon, I'd always pick the AC plan and use
    the included data.

    Lastly, this National Access feature for AC users is sometimes
    called "MOU" or minutes of use billing. It's real, it does exist,
    thousands of people (maybe millions) use it. Verizon does not
    advertise it anywhere. This means it may go away or they may
    start charging for it down the road. I've been using free data on
    Verizon for at least 4 years (QNC, then national access) for
    just the cost of minutes, so I don't worry about it.

    -Dan

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    "Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message

    > If it were me, there is no way in hell I'd ever choose Verizon
    > for data. If I needed unlimited data I'd choose T-Mobile who
    > has a sensible add-on to their voice plans for unlimited at
    > $20/mo. On Verizon, I'd always pick the AC plan and use
    > the included data.

    But many people would have a nifty paperweight if they did that. t-mobile
    has the worst network by far within 150 miles of my office.

    > Lastly, this National Access feature for AC users is sometimes
    > called "MOU" or minutes of use billing. It's real, it does exist,
    > thousands of people (maybe millions) use it. Verizon does not
    > advertise it anywhere. This means it may go away or they may
    > start charging for it down the road. I've been using free data on
    > Verizon for at least 4 years (QNC, then national access) for
    > just the cost of minutes, so I don't worry about it.
    >
    > -Dan
    >
    > --
    > Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    > http://cell.uoregon.edu

    The important point is that if you need to add the National Access
    *feature* to your America's Choice plan, you NEVER mention the word
    "tethered" or anything else that suggests that you want to use it
    for general Internet access. Mention only "higher speed Get It Now",
    as that is one of the intended uses of this feature. If you mention
    "Internet access" in any form, then they will direct you to one of the
    expensive data *plans*.

    It is possible that they could configure their system to allow 1xRTT
    "National Access" only for internal apps such as picture messaging or
    Get It Now unless you buy a data package, but that is not being done now.

    There's some history with this that many don't know about. Verizon has, for
    years, advertised and officially supported free data services via their QNC
    connections. It was the main reason I switched from my AT&T TDMA plan (AT&T
    had pocketnet at the time, which is fine, but did cost extra for the casual
    user).

    Verizon has a dedicated data support group, and used to have detailed
    information on their website about how to use the QNC data option. I bought
    a Kyocera 6035 palm phone right when it came out, and used it to access data
    both directly from the device via the built-in PPP dialer and tethered to a
    laptop. All of this was officially supported and I did call the data group
    on occassion when I had problems accessing data while traveling. In the
    "old" days they'd occassionally have to authorize my phone due to
    differences in switching hardware used in different parts of the country.
    In fact, the data support web pages were only torn down in the past couple
    months although they hadn't been linked in since prior to the website
    re-design that occured a year or two ago.

    Anyway, this QNC data option has been there for a long time, and at least
    historically officially supported. To use it folks simply configure their
    dialer to #777, username and password = qnc. They say it's 14.4K but the
    experience felt like 28.8 modem -- which admittedly isn't fast, but worked
    well enough for SSH and basic browsing either with images turned off, or
    using compression software Verizon sold with the data cable called Venturi.

    In fact, at one point Verizon started requiring SMTP authentication to use
    their SMTP sever at mail.airbridge.net. I called the data group, and they
    created a full-blown email account for me for free. I can POP/SMTP or
    access it via their web interface. While this was common practice a couple
    years ago, they won't create email accounts for folks for free anymore. I
    appear to be grandfathered in.

    New AC plans starting after about June of 2002 started getting a feature
    code automatically on their billing statements along with included features
    like 3-way calling, "National Access." Our corporate Verizon rep told me
    about it, and it's one of the reasons I switched from single-rate-west to
    AC. i.e. 1x data from your phone at just the cost of minutes. I had him
    put it in writing for me before I switched plans which he was happy to do.
    Anyway, every billing statement I get lists national access as a feature on
    my account. I continue to use data directly from my phone (Kyocera 7135)
    and tethered to my laptop when I travel for the cost of minutes. I have
    high speed data (T1 or better) most places I go, so I don't use the tethered
    data very often, and not usually to transfer files, just SSH in to get my
    email, read usenet, or browse the web.

    The bad thing is that I've never seen any detailed Verizon web page or
    printed literature promising this feature. I do have literature, and there
    were detailed web pages promising QNC data which continues to work and I
    continue to use. All I have is the feature listed on my billing "National
    Access" and months of past billing statements showing data usage as
    included.

    Anyway, this is something that has evolved over time, and I don't know how
    it will turn out. At the moment, if you are "in the know" about the
    included data, you appear to be able to use it without issue. It's anyone's
    guess if this feature will go away. I can say free data access is one main
    reason I choose Verizon, so if it does go away and they even take away QNC,
    then I'll factor that into my decision to renew with them (or not).
    T-mobile actually has good coverage in Oregon generally at least in the
    places where I would desire data. I already carry a 2nd prepaid phone for
    esoteric analog coverage when in rural areas so I'd keep that if I ever
    switched from Verizon.

    When I was with Voicestream (prior to T-Mobile) they also permitted circuit
    switched 9600 baud data for just the cost of minutes. I had a Nokia 8290
    with infared data through my Toshiba laptop at the time and that also
    worked well for my needs.

    Today I use a combination of National Access and QNC data. I find QNC to
    have lower latency for SSH connections. I also have an Ositech cellular
    modem which I use to get 4800-19200 baud analog data connections while
    roaming off of Verizon's network. Again, these only bill me for minutes of
    use. So yes, for my needs Verizon is the data king, and at minimal expense.
    I have no strong ties to any carrier. If someone else can do it better I'll
    switch. Verizon is the carrier that I've been with now for at least 4 years
    so they've done better than the others I've tried. But yes, their
    advertised data plans don't make sense to me (cost-wise) unless your
    employer pays the bill and you don't care how much it is.

    -Dan

    --

    "Paul G" <pgloe@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > I just purchased the unlimited plan for my Treo600.
    > Can someone tell me in non-Verizonese language what this includes?
    > Does it include SMS messages? Do my SMS messages take airtime?
    > I was under the impression this included internet, e-mail and
    messages.
    > Thanks much,
    > Paul

    Hi All,
    I greatly appreciate the time and detail of your responses.
    I'm sorry to say, this whole thing still has me quite stumped. Let me
    ask this...
    I had a Samsung 530, and Verizon's 400 minute America's Choice plan at
    $39.99. This week I purchased the Treo 600, and was told in order to use
    the internet part of the phone, I would have to purchase an *additional*
    internet data plan. I chose the unlimited PDA/Smartphone plan at
    $49.99...this is a total monthly whopper of a bill.
    I want to use the treo to read my e-mail and access the internet in
    addition to making calls.
    What should I have done differently, or what should I change?
    Appreciate your time and assistance.
    Paul

    Hello Paul-

    I believe you just want the 39.99 AC plan, and dump the PDA data plan.
    You can then check your email and do Internet for the cost of minutes
    provided you either configure the dialer to use the slower QNC data,
    or that you have the "National Access" feature code on your AC plan.

    Modern AC plans should get this automatically. Maybe look at a past
    AC billing statement to see if under features it lists "National Access"

    Anyway, I pay $39.99 for an AC plan, and do not pay any additional
    for data to use with my PDA and tethered laptop. I do use minutes
    when I connect during peak periods, but that's OK with me.

    -Dan

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    Begin Dan Albrich quote:

    ;
    ; Modern AC plans should get this automatically. Maybe look at a past
    ; AC billing statement to see if under features it lists "National Access"

    How modern? I had tried to switch from the National Access plan Paul
    has to an America's Choice plan, and I lost 1X data connectivity in the
    process. When I told Verizon to add the NA/MOU +feature+, I could only
    use one of the three included web browsers, not either of the other two
    nor a third-party browser I had installed.

    This was over this past summer, and I'm using a Kyocera 7135.

    I am again thinking about trying to switch plans, as I need to reduce
    my monthly bills.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Actually, I George W. Bush, this may sound a little West Texan to
    you, but I like it. When I'm talking about George W. Bush, when I'm
    talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are
    talking about me." - George W. Bush, Hardball, MSNBC, May 31, 2000

    With regard to how to get national access.

    1st off, don't obcess with it. Simply configure your Palm phone to use QNC
    data instead. This is done in the PDA preferences screen under "Network"
    It should be a pre-defined drop-down setting, but if not, configure the
    dialer to dial #777, username and password = "qnc."

    From there, the best uses of your palm phone (in my opinion) are Rick
    Whitt's excellent directory assistant. While you're there you may also want
    to grab his minute counter program. http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/

    Other than that, limited email with the included Eudora which does SSL, and
    reading usenet works well via the included Eudora Web, got to google.com,
    click on "full google" then "groups." If you are offered which "pane" to
    read, select #2 which gives you the contents of messages within the thread.

    I sincerely could care less about national access. The only time it makes
    any difference for me is if I am tethered to a laptop, and then only when I
    do more data intensive stuff like transferring a file (and to some degree
    web browsing).

    If QNC is all you have, enjoy it. It's completely free access to data. If
    you want to browse content-based websites, configure one of the web browsers
    on your laptop to not display images. Works great for howardforums or other
    content related sites.

    -Dan

    PS: Every person who ordered an AC plan at my office since about June 2002
    has automatically got the National Access Feature on their account without
    asking for it. Infact, my 7135 came pre-configured to use it. I simply
    openned a browser and it worked on the first try. I then checked my billing
    statement and sure enough it was simply billed as minutes... If you end up
    struggling to get national access added to your account, do some searching
    on "MOU" within alt.cellular.verizon via google, or better search
    pdaphonehome.com under the same topic for more ideas.

    --

    Dan Albrich wrote:

    >> I installed Blazer, which won't
    >> connect on the QNC network.
    > Blazer is terribly slow on the 7135 and barely works in my opinion.
    > It does not, however, care if the user is connected via QNC or
    > National Access. I sometimes use Blazer when I really need to see
    > images, but only for very limited applications. i.e.
    > http://mobile.wunderground.com/

    WebPro V seems to perform pretty well and will handle
    most everything (in the context of PDAs).

    -Quick

    How does one acquire Web Pro V? I did some google searches and all roads
    lead to Palm.com which only have versions compatible with Palm OS 5.

    --

    Dan Albrich wrote:
    > How does one acquire Web Pro V? I did some google searches and all
    > roads lead to Palm.com which only have versions compatible with Palm
    > OS 5.

    errr, mine was extracted from a T3 update (compatible with 4.x).

    -Quick

    > Mine came with Eudora Web, EIS Browser, and something just called
    > "Browser". All in ROM.
    --> I forgot the 7135B has EIS included as well. I have the 7135A. Even
    with most current firmware, no EIS is present on the A series phone
    (or they removed it from the firmware at some point). No matter.

    > ; Eudora web works really well for text based information websites, and
    >
    > I don't want to have to switch back and forth and remember which
    > browser is good for which sites. That's why I installed Blazer. It
    > may not be the best, but it does what I want well enough.
    --> Eudora web sometimes is effectively useless (i.e. links that are
    themselves images with no ALT tags), however, I've *never*
    seen Eudora web lock the phone up. Blazer will lock the phone
    on some websites. Eudora will display a blank white screen if it
    cannot render the page.

    > That was a problem at first. Some sites would even lock up the
    > browser, requiring a soft reset to break free. I've since learned to
    > be more careful and look for PDA/Mobile targeted sites at home before
    > trying to load them on the handheld.
    --> Or, I might add, try Eudora Web. If you can get past the fact
    that it omits images, it really does work in many cases, even on
    sites Blazer cannot load. For example, flight status on
    Alaska works for me in Eudora Web, but Blazer locked up on me tonight.

    > The service apparently cares. Trying to use Blazer on the QNC network
    > resulted in consistent failures to connect. Failures that did not
    > happen when using one of the built-in browsers. I don't recall which
    > one, it was either "Browser" or the EIS Browser.
    --> Hm. Tested Blazer 2.0 tonight on my phone via QNC and it worked
    fine. You might also try dialing your ISP if you have one. I do that
    sometimes too.

    > I thought PalmOne owned it via their acquisition of Handspring.
    --> Maybe so. My main point is that there is no Blazer upgrade available,
    at least
    for Palm OS 4 folks.

    > PQAs are dead with the closing of Palm.net a couple months ago. After
    > verifying that my collection of PQAs stopped working, I deleted them
    > all. I had PQAs for MovieFone, MapQuest, Superpages, and I think the
    > Weather Channel.

    --> That's too bad. Didn't notice until you told me. I can use
    www.fandango.com or yahoo.com movies from Eudora web
    to some extent.

    > ; Yellow and White pages listings.
    > ; --> See Rick Whitt's awesome directory assistant app. If you haven't
    > used
    > ; this, check it out. It even pulls up maps, directions, and the normal
    > ; listing. It lets you copy the entire listing to your addressbook, and
    > even
    > ; dial the number directly.
    >
    > A location or application name would be nice.

    http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are good at
    > heart." - Ann Frank

    There's a pretty good collection of mobile sites
    here:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~ag3/pocketpc/

    The myyahoo movies seems to work for me
    from there...

    -Dan

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    Begin Dan Albrich quote:

    ; > ; Eudora web works really well for text based information websites, and
    ; >
    ; > I don't want to have to switch back and forth and remember which
    ; > browser is good for which sites. That's why I installed Blazer. It
    ; > may not be the best, but it does what I want well enough.
    ; --> Eudora web sometimes is effectively useless (i.e. links that are
    ; themselves images with no ALT tags), however, I've *never*
    ; seen Eudora web lock the phone up. Blazer will lock the phone
    ; on some websites. Eudora will display a blank white screen if it
    ; cannot render the page.

    Hmm. Maybe I'll give it a try the next time I'm out somewhere. (I
    live in cell-hell, no signal.)

    ; --> Or, I might add, try Eudora Web. If you can get past the fact
    ; that it omits images, it really does work in many cases, even on

    Some things require images, like map sites.

    ; > The service apparently cares. Trying to use Blazer on the QNC network
    ; > resulted in consistent failures to connect. Failures that did not
    ; > happen when using one of the built-in browsers. I don't recall which
    ; > one, it was either "Browser" or the EIS Browser.
    ; --> Hm. Tested Blazer 2.0 tonight on my phone via QNC and it worked
    ; fine. You might also try dialing your ISP if you have one. I do that
    ; sometimes too.

    "Dial up"? I know not of what you speak. :)

    ; > PQAs are dead with the closing of Palm.net a couple months ago. After
    ; > verifying that my collection of PQAs stopped working, I deleted them
    ; > all. I had PQAs for MovieFone, MapQuest, Superpages, and I think the
    ; > Weather Channel.
    ;
    ; --> That's too bad. Didn't notice until you told me. I can use
    ; www.fandango.com or yahoo.com movies from Eudora web
    ; to some extent.

    Thanks, noted.

    ; > ; --> See Rick Whitt's awesome directory assistant app. If you haven't
    ; > A location or application name would be nice.
    ; http://home.triad.rr.com/rlwhitt/palm/

    Thanks. Downloaded, and I'll take a look at it.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "These popular sovereigns are at their work, blowing out the moral
    lights around us." - Abraham Lincoln

Verizon Smartphones PDA Internet Service Providers