Sign in with
Your question

Installing Win2K

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 28, 2005 2:12:16 AM

Hello there, I am looking for some help. I have a computer, which had win2k on it, but when it would get to the white bar on the bottom on start up it would reset the computer. So I reformatted the drive and went to reinstall win2k, but no luck. It would stop at the “Starting Windows 2000” and there it stayed. I tried to use the win98 boot disk and ran winnt.exe file under I386. It loaded the files and then restarted to get the same outcome. Please help the drive is good, changed motherboard, I am not sure what is next. Thank you

More about : installing win2k

March 2, 2005 10:39:12 PM

Quote:
changed motherboard

To a new M/B?

If it was factory tested before shipment, when you received it, did you clear the CMOS?

It may be simply clearing the CMOS on the M/B, but more than likely you need to LLF [Low Level Format] the HDD itself, clearing the HDD of all previous boot data.

Then re-partitioning the HDD, reformatting the new partition with the NTFS file system for Win2K, and reinstalling the OP/SYS from that point.

The Win2K installation disk will do the partitioning, and formatting the new partition, but the LLF will need to be done with your HDDs diagnostics disk, if you don't have one you can download a diagnostics disk creator from your HDDs website.

Note: A diagnostics disk LLF is commonly just a zero fill utility, that completely writes over the entire HDD, with zeros, wiping out all previous data and files, including boot records and any data at all you may need to keep, that may be on the HDD.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 03/02/05 07:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 3, 2005 9:10:49 AM

Quote:
A diagnostics disk LLF is commonly just a zero fill utility, that completely writes over the entire HDD, with zeros, wiping out all previous data and files, including boot records and any data at all you may need to keep, that may be on the HDD.

I did a low level format of my Maxtor Diamond Max 10 250G drive. It died shortly afterwards :frown: . I guess it didn't like constantly writing for 24hours (or there abouts)!.

March 4, 2005 12:15:05 AM

Quote:
24hours

No HDD would take that long to LLF unless it was defective beforehand, LLF is not a stress factor for a HDD just a complete writing over of the drive.
!