Motherboard failing or RAM please need opinion!!

Damon0306

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Please I need a quick answer to this problem.

I am running a BH6 motherboard (and if I didnt just blow $$$$ on this slot PIII-850, I would have dumped the board.

Now please don't tell me to save my money and get a Athlon 1.2GHZ setup, I relize this is the way to go, but I just purchased this PIII-850 about 1 month ago, and I want to use this processor for a bit.

First off my motherboard is acting up, It has three PC100, 128MB DIMMS and is maxed out at 384MB for a ABIT BH6.

When I cold boot up in the morning, it sometimes will display only 256MB of RAM, like it is not seeing the 3rd DIMM. If I reboot a few times and eventually see's the 3rd DIMM and all is well.

Recently it has been acting very strange, and sometimes boots showing, 298MB of RAM, or even weirder 312MB of RAM.

I tested all 3 modules on a good NEW tester, were I work and there fine.

IS MY MOTHERBOARD FAILING?? I hate to go out and blow cash on another SLOT-1 motherboard, when in theory I could buy a nice Athlon setup for around $350. BUT I JUST BOUGHT THIS PIII-850 SLOT-1 AND I HATE TO JUST DUMP IT AFTER ONLY 1 MONTH OF USE.

Tell me what you think! Thanx!

G

kingmax has a very good article on this very subject at their wesite. personally i would dump 1 stick of ram and place 1 of the 2 dimms left in the 3rd slot and see if it continues and if not id say one of your mem. modules is bad