WRT54G router and existing Asus ADSL modem.

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a setup problem I am having?

I have the following setup….

I have a static IP 194.xx.xx.xx and have an asus ADSL modem that
provides broadband to my fixed line network of PCS via a 4 port hub.
This setup has been working fine for a number of years.

I have my new WRT54G and I want to put it on the network. I have tried
to put it on the network by taking a line from the 4 port hub into the
‘internet' port of the WRT54G and plugging in a PC into one of the 4
other ports on the WRT54G. I can ping the WRT54G from the PC on
192.168.1.1 and get into the web interface. I have my PC LAN
connection setup as per instructions to DHCP and the PC has been given
an address of 192.168.1.100 as expected. All looks fine

However I'm unsure as to how I can get ‘internet' access on the PC,
and what settings I put in the ‘setup' page for the WRT54G? Should I
be using DHCP configuration? Or static IP? If so,What should I have
for IP, subnet, gateway and DNS?

The ASUS modem has it's own IP of 192.168.80.1. I can't ping that from
the PC through the WRT54G, (I could previously in the original setup).

Any help greatly appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about wrt54g router existing asus adsl modem

    "rw" <ron@stringx.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >

    > I wonder if anyone can help me with a setup problem I am having?
    >

    > I have the following setup..
    >

    > I have a static IP 194.xx.xx.xx and have an asus ADSL modem that
    > provides broadband to my fixed line network of PCS via a 4 port hub.
    > This setup has been working fine for a number of years.
    >

    > I have my new WRT54G and I want to put it on the network. I have
    tried
    > to put it on the network by taking a line from the 4 port hub into
    the
    > 'internet' port of the WRT54G and plugging in a PC into one of the 4
    > other ports on the WRT54G. I can ping the WRT54G from the PC on
    > 192.168.1.1 and get into the web interface. I have my PC LAN
    > connection setup as per instructions to DHCP and the PC has been
    given
    > an address of 192.168.1.100 as expected. All looks fine

    I would plug the modem into the wrt54g wan port and use the 4 lan
    ports on it. If you need more ports plug the hub into one of the
    wrt54g lan ports.
    Set all your pcs to use DHCP in the TCP/IP properties.
    Have the Wrt54g to use DHCP

    > However I'm unsure as to how I can get 'internet' access on the PC,
    > and what settings I put in the 'setup' page for the WRT54G? Should I
    > be using DHCP configuration? Or static IP? If so,What should I have
    > for IP, subnet, gateway and DNS?

    On one of your pcs that can currently connect to the internet,
    assuming win2000 or xp
    go the the command prompt Start --- Run--- Type in CMD ( if
    the window wont stay up go to (programs, accessories, command prompt)
    Type in ipconfig /all
    This should give you a list of DNS servers (2) to enter into the
    wrt54g (if you need to)
    The default gateway is the address of the wrt54g i.e. 192.168.1.1
    The subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

    > The ASUS modem has it's own IP of 192.168.80.1. I can't ping that
    from
    > the PC through the WRT54G, (I could previously in the original
    setup).

    > Any help greatly appreciated.

Asus Modem Wireless Networking