Does Crysis run on Windows 7?

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Not according to tech support at Electronic Arts.
I purchased a download copy from amazon, I don't seem to have Sand Box or the 64bit version.

And according to EA files are visible in Windows XP that can't be seen in Windows 7.
Here's the conversation;

Linda: Hi, my name is Linda. How may I help you?

I downloaded Crysis a 2nd time, but still no sand box from Amazon. I don't believe I got the 64bit version of the game either, as it installed in C;\Program Files (X86) folder. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and my understanding is that Crysis will install the 64 bit version in that case.

Linda: I apologize for inconvenience this cause .
2382014645: Excuse me, but I edited the message I sent to Amazon. There is no Sand Box in the Crysis I downloaded from Amazon
Linda: This game is not supported Window 7 officially
Linda: so game will not run properly
2382014645: Does that mean only the 32 bit version runs in Windows 7
2382014645: You've got to be kidding. I'm supposed to downgrade to Vista?
Linda: Yes, this Crsyis game is not supported on Window 7 officially.
2382014645: Will I see the Sand Box files in Windows XP?
Linda: it should
2382014645: This sounds like a bit like a run around
Linda: no no.
Linda: when Window is not supported, most of the game does not even run.
Linda: and most of the game will miss out from features.
2382014645: Is Crysis 2 supported by Windows 7 or Window 7?
Linda: or face problem in progres

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
This post makes me laugh. Not at you. I laugh at the ignorance of their tech support. hahaha

If you installed the game, you installed the 64 bit version of the game AND the 32 bit. The only difference is the exe that you use. Go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64
Select 'Crysis64'
Your game will now start in 64 bit mode. If you want to reassure yourself that you're in 64 bit mode, hit the tilde key (the key right below the 'esc' key) and type in "r_displayinfo 1". That will bring up something that will tell you whether you're in dx9 or dx10 and whether you're in 32bit or 64 bit.

To summarize: IT WILL WORK ON WINDOWS 7! I promise you. I was playing it earlier in dx10 64bit.

Here's how you get the sandbox on the disk version. I don't know how to get it on the Amazon version. Sorry. :(
click 'start' > click 'computer' > on your dvd drive, right click and select 'open' > open the file named 'sandbox2' > double left click on 'CryEngline(R)2Sandbox(TM)2

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
If you just are wanting to mess around with the sandbox and you can't get it to work on your system, I'm pretty sure the single player demo actually has the sandbox on it. I'm not sure if it's the full editor that's in the game though.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks jednx0. I'm glad someone knows what's going on.

When I launch the game from the shortcut it installed on the desktop, then type"r_displayinfo=1" it says "32 bit". I'll look for C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin64 when I get home, but I suspect this is an abbreviated version of the game.

I guess I'll have to look at the files on my old computer with Windows XP to see the Sandbox. I wonder what else I can't see with Windows 7:)

FinalDrive

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I had nothing but trouble with Crysis on Win7. It would install fine, but would crash on launch or after 30 seconds of play. Tried both 32bit and 64 but no difference. Crysis warhead runs without any issues whatsoever. For me to get Crysis to play properly I have to use my XP install. Kinda annoying since I would like to use all the eye candy now my system can do that.

I have played a LOT of games that are not "officially" supported by windows 7 that run perfectly well. Seems I just happened to be one of the unlucky community of Crysis players that have yet to find a resolution to this problem.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I got a reply from Amazon indicating that Sand Box is not included in the download version. No info yet as to whether to 64 bit version is included.
I bought the game mostly to test the capabilities of my new computer build. I'm getting ~35-50 FPS with The graphics settings maxed out. Is that good? I'm new to this gaming thing and don't know what frame rate is needed to maximize the visual experience, though I'm impressed by what I see so far (not bad for $15). I'll probably be ready to spend the "big bucks" for Crysis 2 when I'm done.

Would the 64 bit version of game be noticeably better in 64 bit Windows 7 ?

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
And the sky is blue. The question assumed fully functioning 32 or 64 bit versions. Are you saying that Amazon is selling a cracked, broken, worn out or illegal version of the game?

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
fyi, I am running Crysis on Win7 32bit (from steam) and it works great..However, there is an issue with AVG and Crysis...you have to add Crysis to the exceptions list in AVG...took me a week to find the article about this.

venjhammet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Crysis runs fine on both Windows 7 32bit and 64bit even without the patch. I had it installed before on Win 7 Ultimate 32bit and it runs perfectly. Now I'm using the Win 7 Ultimate 64bit and it still runs fine on whether I chose it to run on 32bit or 64bit.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Is the original Crysis even available anymore in "hard copy" on disk? I've only been able to find it in download form and that appears to be an abbreviated 32 bit version. I have a little trouble believing that the 64 bit version is really there in in the download, but not visible from Windows 7 explorer. I really like this game and the reviews I've read on Crysis 2 weren't very positive.

Eaquitas Absum

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
I don't understand, it seems so "around the bush" what is the answer, will it or will it not? Yes I do notice one person answered it directly, but it would be nice to find a few more before I buy