Can't get ThinkPad T42 to connect to Netgear MR314 w/ 128 ..

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

Hi there,

For the life of me, I can't get my work laptop (brand new ThinkPad T42 with
built-in Intel wireless adapter, running XP) to connect to my home Netgear
MR314 access point with 128 bit WEP turned on. I also have MAC address
filtering turned on.

If I disable WEP, I can get it to connect. But if I leave WEP activated, I
can't. The MAC address filtering doesn't seem to make a difference. I've
tried setting up 64 bit WEP instead and that didn't seem to help.

I'd rather not disable WEP, and I'd rather not downgrade to 64 bit.

The infuriating thing is that I went through this situation a few weeks ago,
which was the first time I brought home the work laptop. When I first tried
it, I couldn't get it to connect. I tried all combinations of turning WEP on
and off, changing it from 128 bit to 64 bit and back, turning on the MAC
address filtering and turning it off, power cycling the router, etc. -- I
tried a million combinations and finally, in desperation, I rebooted one
more time and miraculously, it worked (with 128 bit WEP and MAC address
filtering ENABLED). I had tried so many things that I wasn't sure what
worked, but at that point the work laptop was able to connect no matter how
many times I rebooted it. I had no further problems for the rest of the
weekend (well, aside from the fact that I was *working* the whole weekend).

Since I had the correct settings (WEP key, SSID, etc.) stored in XP (my
network was listed as the only "preferred" network), I figured that next
time I brought it home, it would already have the settings and would just
see my network.

No dice. I've spent the evening trying all these things again (turning
various settings on and off, power cycling the laptop, router, etc.) with no
luck.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Troubleshooting steps or diagnostic utilities? I'm
stumped and frustrated.

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

I have a T42 and I turned off (Use Windows to configure my wireless
network settings) and use the IBM Access Connections ( it is the
little black looking pc icon in the sys tray). It will walk you
through creating multiple profiles if needed, enter your wep keys etc.
Might give it a try.

"News Reader" <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> For the life of me, I can't get my work laptop (brand new ThinkPad
T42 with
> built-in Intel wireless adapter, running XP) to connect to my home
Netgear
> MR314 access point with 128 bit WEP turned on. I also have MAC
address
> filtering turned on.
>
> If I disable WEP, I can get it to connect. But if I leave WEP
activated, I
> can't. The MAC address filtering doesn't seem to make a difference.
I've
> tried setting up 64 bit WEP instead and that didn't seem to help.
>
> I'd rather not disable WEP, and I'd rather not downgrade to 64 bit.
>
> The infuriating thing is that I went through this situation a few
weeks ago,
> which was the first time I brought home the work laptop. When I
first tried
> it, I couldn't get it to connect. I tried all combinations of
turning WEP on
> and off, changing it from 128 bit to 64 bit and back, turning on the
MAC
> address filtering and turning it off, power cycling the router,
etc. -- I
> tried a million combinations and finally, in desperation, I rebooted
one
> more time and miraculously, it worked (with 128 bit WEP and MAC
address
> filtering ENABLED). I had tried so many things that I wasn't sure
what
> worked, but at that point the work laptop was able to connect no
matter how
> many times I rebooted it. I had no further problems for the rest of
the
> weekend (well, aside from the fact that I was *working* the whole
weekend).

> Since I had the correct settings (WEP key, SSID, etc.) stored in XP
(my
> network was listed as the only "preferred" network), I figured that
next
> time I brought it home, it would already have the settings and would
just
> see my network.
>
> No dice. I've spent the evening trying all these things again
(turning
> various settings on and off, power cycling the laptop, router, etc.)
with no
> luck.
>
> Any ideas? Suggestions? Troubleshooting steps or diagnostic
utilities? I'm
> stumped and frustrated.

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

I'll see if I have that IBM Access thing -- this isn't exactly an
off-the-shelf configuration, so there's no guarantee that anything that
comes installed with a T42 will be on there. The IT folks re-image the drive
with the stuff THEY want on there... but I'll take a look.

Thanks for the suggestion.

"Airhead" <campbell@alliancecable.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> weekend).
> >
> > Since I had the correct settings (WEP key, SSID, etc.) stored in XP
> (my
> > network was listed as the only "preferred" network), I figured that
> next
> > time I brought it home, it would already have the settings and would
> just
> > see my network.
> >
> > No dice. I've spent the evening trying all these things again
> (turning
> > various settings on and off, power cycling the laptop, router, etc.)
> with no
> > luck.
> >
> > Any ideas? Suggestions? Troubleshooting steps or diagnostic
> utilities? I'm
> > stumped and frustrated.

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:53:38 -0500, "News Reader"
<SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote:

>I'll see if I have that IBM Access thing -- this isn't exactly an
>off-the-shelf configuration, so there's no guarantee that anything that
>comes installed with a T42 will be on there. The IT folks re-image the drive
>with the stuff THEY want on there... but I'll take a look.

I've run into exactly the same problem with other laptops and routers.
What's common is that W2K and XP are rather tenacious about retaining
the previous IP address. You go to work, get an IP address from their
system, come home, and it still thinks you're at work. You can see it
happen by running:
Start -> Run -> cmd
IPCONFIG
If it show the last IP addresses as assigned by work, some hot spot,
the hotel, or whatever, that's the problem.

Reboot, snarl, banging on the keyboard does nothing. A few things
that work are:
IPCONFIG /RELEASE
(wait about 5 seconds)
IPCONFIG /RENEW
and then run:
IPCONFIG
to see if it worked.

IBM has it's own profile manager which I assume works, as I've never
tried it. Instead, I use NetSwitcher:
http://www.netswitcher.com
for manageing locations. I have a worse problem. I have to have my
laptop ready and configured for every one of my custmers LANs. Last
time I counted, I had about 70 different configurations stored. Some
have VPN's, some use LDAP directory services, a few Kerberos
authentications, some proxy servers, some multiple protocols, and a
few protocol shims. Of course the names or IP addresses for non-DHCP
delivered devices, such as SMTP email servers, change at each
location. It's a nice mess that NetSwitcher solves. Unfortunately,
for really drastic changes, Netswitcher requires a reboot, so it
sometimes turns into a time burner. I try to switch configuration
before I arrive.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

Thanks. I'll give that a try, too. At work I use a wired connection (and
furthermore, NOT the one on the side of the laptop -- the one on the docking
station -- not sure if those are considered two different interfaces).
Anyway, it is only at home that I want to use the wireless adapter. Does
that have something to do with my problem?

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:53:38 -0500, "News Reader"
> <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
> >I'll see if I have that IBM Access thing -- this isn't exactly an
> >off-the-shelf configuration, so there's no guarantee that anything that
> >comes installed with a T42 will be on there. The IT folks re-image the
drive
> >with the stuff THEY want on there... but I'll take a look.
>
> I've run into exactly the same problem with other laptops and routers.
> What's common is that W2K and XP are rather tenacious about retaining
> the previous IP address. You go to work, get an IP address from their
> system, come home, and it still thinks you're at work. You can see it
> happen by running:
> Start -> Run -> cmd
> IPCONFIG
> If it show the last IP addresses as assigned by work, some hot spot,
> the hotel, or whatever, that's the problem.
>
> Reboot, snarl, banging on the keyboard does nothing. A few things
> that work are:
> IPCONFIG /RELEASE
> (wait about 5 seconds)
> IPCONFIG /RENEW
> and then run:
> IPCONFIG
> to see if it worked.
>
> IBM has it's own profile manager which I assume works, as I've never
> tried it. Instead, I use NetSwitcher:
> http://www.netswitcher.com
> for manageing locations. I have a worse problem. I have to have my
> laptop ready and configured for every one of my custmers LANs. Last
> time I counted, I had about 70 different configurations stored. Some
> have VPN's, some use LDAP directory services, a few Kerberos
> authentications, some proxy servers, some multiple protocols, and a
> few protocol shims. Of course the names or IP addresses for non-DHCP
> delivered devices, such as SMTP email servers, change at each
> location. It's a nice mess that NetSwitcher solves. Unfortunately,
> for really drastic changes, Netswitcher requires a reboot, so it
> sometimes turns into a time burner. I try to switch configuration
> before I arrive.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

Oh, I might add that I don't think I'm even getting to the point where
getting the DHCP lease failing would be to blame (where IPCONFIG/RELEASE +
RENEW might help get rid of an old IP) -- I'm not even getting a connection
at all (I either get a red X through the connection in the system tray or I
get the "there are wireless networks available" notice -- but I don't get
the confirmation that I'm connected to a network, signal strength, etc.)

I've also tried going into the Network Connections control panel and
right-clicking the wireless connection and disabling and then enabling. No
luck there, either.

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:53:38 -0500, "News Reader"
> <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote:
>
> >I'll see if I have that IBM Access thing -- this isn't exactly an
> >off-the-shelf configuration, so there's no guarantee that anything that
> >comes installed with a T42 will be on there. The IT folks re-image the
drive
> >with the stuff THEY want on there... but I'll take a look.
>
> I've run into exactly the same problem with other laptops and routers.
> What's common is that W2K and XP are rather tenacious about retaining
> the previous IP address. You go to work, get an IP address from their
> system, come home, and it still thinks you're at work. You can see it
> happen by running:
> Start -> Run -> cmd
> IPCONFIG
> If it show the last IP addresses as assigned by work, some hot spot,
> the hotel, or whatever, that's the problem.
>
> Reboot, snarl, banging on the keyboard does nothing. A few things
> that work are:
> IPCONFIG /RELEASE
> (wait about 5 seconds)
> IPCONFIG /RENEW
> and then run:
> IPCONFIG
> to see if it worked.
>
> IBM has it's own profile manager which I assume works, as I've never
> tried it. Instead, I use NetSwitcher:
> http://www.netswitcher.com
> for manageing locations. I have a worse problem. I have to have my
> laptop ready and configured for every one of my custmers LANs. Last
> time I counted, I had about 70 different configurations stored. Some
> have VPN's, some use LDAP directory services, a few Kerberos
> authentications, some proxy servers, some multiple protocols, and a
> few protocol shims. Of course the names or IP addresses for non-DHCP
> delivered devices, such as SMTP email servers, change at each
> location. It's a nice mess that NetSwitcher solves. Unfortunately,
> for really drastic changes, Netswitcher requires a reboot, so it
> sometimes turns into a time burner. I try to switch configuration
> before I arrive.

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:48:38 -0500, "News Reader"
<SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote:

>Oh, I might add that I don't think I'm even getting to the point where
>getting the DHCP lease failing would be to blame (where IPCONFIG/RELEASE +
>RENEW might help get rid of an old IP) -- I'm not even getting a connection
>at all (I either get a red X through the connection in the system tray or I
>get the "there are wireless networks available" notice -- but I don't get
>the confirmation that I'm connected to a network, signal strength, etc.)
>
>I've also tried going into the Network Connections control panel and
>right-clicking the wireless connection and disabling and then enabling. No
>luck there, either.

Ugh. I was assuming that you were getting a wireless association
(connection) and were dealing strictly with a DHCP issue. To
troubleshoot a "cannot connect" issue, we need some info on your
laptop configuration.
-Do you have XP SP2 installed?
-Are you running Wireless Zero Config in addition to the
IBM Access Connections thing?
-Is there anything unusual in the Device Manager (more red x's)?
-Does your corporate configuration include a proprietary VPN shim?

If you're getting the message "There's wireless networks out there",
does your wireless routers SSID show up on the list when displayed?
If so, your laptop is hearing the broadcasts. If it takes a while
before the X appears and it fails to connect, it could be:
-Bad WEP key. Use 5 chars for 64bit, 13 chars for 128bit.
-Battle between Wireless Zero Config and your wireless card.
Disable WZC under Control Panel -> Admin Stuff -> Services
or temporarily with:
net stop WZCSVC

Drivel: You might wanna download and run Belarc Advisor:
http://www.belarc.com
It's a free "inventory" program that generates a web page with all
your hardware, software, versions, serials, updates, nicely itemized.
If you don't know what IT shoved into your machine, this will tell
you. From experience, imaged installs tend to be seriously out of
data as to updates and bug fixes.

>"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:53:38 -0500, "News Reader"
>> <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'll see if I have that IBM Access thing -- this isn't exactly an
>> >off-the-shelf configuration, so there's no guarantee that anything that
>> >comes installed with a T42 will be on there. The IT folks re-image the
>drive
>> >with the stuff THEY want on there... but I'll take a look.
>>
>> I've run into exactly the same problem with other laptops and routers.
>> What's common is that W2K and XP are rather tenacious about retaining
>> the previous IP address. You go to work, get an IP address from their
>> system, come home, and it still thinks you're at work. You can see it
>> happen by running:
>> Start -> Run -> cmd
>> IPCONFIG
>> If it show the last IP addresses as assigned by work, some hot spot,
>> the hotel, or whatever, that's the problem.
>>
>> Reboot, snarl, banging on the keyboard does nothing. A few things
>> that work are:
>> IPCONFIG /RELEASE
>> (wait about 5 seconds)
>> IPCONFIG /RENEW
>> and then run:
>> IPCONFIG
>> to see if it worked.
>>
>> IBM has it's own profile manager which I assume works, as I've never
>> tried it. Instead, I use NetSwitcher:
>> http://www.netswitcher.com
>> for manageing locations. I have a worse problem. I have to have my
>> laptop ready and configured for every one of my custmers LANs. Last
>> time I counted, I had about 70 different configurations stored. Some
>> have VPN's, some use LDAP directory services, a few Kerberos
>> authentications, some proxy servers, some multiple protocols, and a
>> few protocol shims. Of course the names or IP addresses for non-DHCP
>> delivered devices, such as SMTP email servers, change at each
>> location. It's a nice mess that NetSwitcher solves. Unfortunately,
>> for really drastic changes, Netswitcher requires a reboot, so it
>> sometimes turns into a time burner. I try to switch configuration
>> before I arrive.
>>

>> --
>> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
>> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
>> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

What type of wireless is on the laptop, my t42 has a intel 2200bg,
using intel 8.0.12.20000 driver. COuld be with the work drive image
that it is using just a compatible driver, if so might help to update.

> What type of wireless is on the laptop, my t42 has a intel 2200bg,
> using intel 8.0.12.20000 driver. COuld be with the work drive image
> that it is using just a compatible driver, if so might help to update.

It seems to be:

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
Driver Provider: Intel
Driver Date: 3/7/2003
Driver Version: 1.1.5.0

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

> Ugh. I was assuming that you were getting a wireless association
> (connection) and were dealing strictly with a DHCP issue. To
> troubleshoot a "cannot connect" issue, we need some info on your
> laptop configuration.

> -Do you have XP SP2 installed?

Nope. XP Pro SP1.

> -Are you running Wireless Zero Config in addition to the
> IBM Access Connections thing?

I do not have the IBM Access Connections thing at all. I am running Wireless
Zero Config.

> -Is there anything unusual in the Device Manager (more red x's)?

Nothing red.

> -Does your corporate configuration include a proprietary VPN shim?

We have the Nortel VPN client, but that's not running right now -- unless it
is always secretly doing something.

> If you're getting the message "There's wireless networks out there",
> does your wireless routers SSID show up on the list when displayed?

Yes, it sees the network.

> If so, your laptop is hearing the broadcasts. If it takes a while
> before the X appears and it fails to connect, it could be:
> -Bad WEP key. Use 5 chars for 64bit, 13 chars for 128bit.

Hmm. My 128 bit WEP key seems to be 26 hex characters.

> -Battle between Wireless Zero Config and your wireless card.
> Disable WZC under Control Panel -> Admin Stuff -> Services
> or temporarily with:
> net stop WZCSVC

Hmm, if I stop this, then I have NO config utility at all.

> Drivel: You might wanna download and run Belarc Advisor:
> http://www.belarc.com
> It's a free "inventory" program that generates a web page with all
> your hardware, software, versions, serials, updates, nicely itemized.
> If you don't know what IT shoved into your machine, this will tell
> you. From experience, imaged installs tend to be seriously out of
> data as to updates and bug fixes.

Wow, there's a lot of stuff on there!

OK, you're not going to believe this -- I swear I'm not crazy -- but it just
started working! The only things I've done today are: I stopped and started
the WZC service (via the services control panel) and then suspended the PC
(because the battery was low and I had to go do something else before
getting back to this issue). When I resumed it, a few seconds later the
wireless network connected (with WEP enabled).

Totally bizarre. I'm afraid to mess it up now... but maybe that's just the
weird voodoo I have to perform -- stop/start the service then suspend and
wake up. Come to think of it, I think the last time I brought this thing
home, it was acting strange, so I gave up for a while, suspended it and then
came back and woke it up and that's when things started working. I didn't
remember that until now. Any ideas on that one? Very strange!

> OK, you're not going to believe this -- I swear I'm not crazy -- but it
just
> started working! The only things I've done today are: I stopped and
started
> the WZC service (via the services control panel) and then suspended the PC
> (because the battery was low and I had to go do something else before
> getting back to this issue). When I resumed it, a few seconds later the
> wireless network connected (with WEP enabled).
>
> Totally bizarre. I'm afraid to mess it up now... but maybe that's just the
> weird voodoo I have to perform -- stop/start the service then suspend and
> wake up. Come to think of it, I think the last time I brought this thing
> home, it was acting strange, so I gave up for a while, suspended it and
then
> came back and woke it up and that's when things started working. I didn't
> remember that until now. Any ideas on that one? Very strange!

OK, I can now do this predictably and repeatably... full reboot and the
thing can't connect. But suspend and immediately resume (which takes all of
about 10 seconds on this thing) and the wireless connection is made
immediately (no need to stop/start WZC). Very, very strange! What on Earth
would cause this? If anyone has any theories, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your troubleshooting suggestions! Now
I'll just remember (maybe I'll stick a post-it on my laptop bag) that when I
go home, I need to reboot and then suspend/resume and away I go... I just
wish I had figured this out before Sunday afternoon on a long weekend when I
had a lot of work to do... oh well. I'll know for next time.

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

While checking for updates for my Intel 2200BG, I looked at the 2100
and you are a few levels down.
There have been quite a few fixes (connectivity issues etc.)

Hear is a link
http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-010623.htm
The latest is 1.2.3.14

Cheers

"News Reader" <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi there,
>
> For the life of me, I can't get my work laptop (brand new ThinkPad T42
> with
> built-in Intel wireless adapter, running XP) to connect to my home Netgear
> MR314 access point with 128 bit WEP turned on. I also have MAC address
> filtering turned on.
>
> If I disable WEP, I can get it to connect. But if I leave WEP activated, I
> can't. The MAC address filtering doesn't seem to make a difference. I've
> tried setting up 64 bit WEP instead and that didn't seem to help.
>
> I'd rather not disable WEP, and I'd rather not downgrade to 64 bit.
>
> The infuriating thing is that I went through this situation a few weeks
> ago,
> which was the first time I brought home the work laptop. When I first
> tried
> it, I couldn't get it to connect. I tried all combinations of turning WEP
> on
> and off, changing it from 128 bit to 64 bit and back, turning on the MAC
> address filtering and turning it off, power cycling the router, etc. -- I
> tried a million combinations and finally, in desperation, I rebooted one
> more time and miraculously, it worked (with 128 bit WEP and MAC address
> filtering ENABLED). I had tried so many things that I wasn't sure what
> worked, but at that point the work laptop was able to connect no matter
> how
> many times I rebooted it. I had no further problems for the rest of the
> weekend (well, aside from the fact that I was *working* the whole
> weekend).
>
> Since I had the correct settings (WEP key, SSID, etc.) stored in XP (my
> network was listed as the only "preferred" network), I figured that next
> time I brought it home, it would already have the settings and would just
> see my network.
>
> No dice. I've spent the evening trying all these things again (turning
> various settings on and off, power cycling the laptop, router, etc.) with
> no
> luck.
>
> Any ideas? Suggestions? Troubleshooting steps or diagnostic utilities? I'm
> stumped and frustrated.

Hey Newsreader, does the companyname of the company you're working for start
with "S" and ends with "t"?

BR's,
Invest

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

I would first go to intel.com and check for the latest drivers. My t42 is
brand new and is 2 levels down.
There have been many fixes in those two levels. A lot of companies are
redoing their drivers to be winxp compatible. Microsoft has a list of xp
compatible hardware but cant geive you the link because it is bookmarked on
my old laptop!

"Invest" <invest@pandora.be> wrote in message
> "News Reader" <SLCUUVKKQKKI@spammotel.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hi there,
> >
> > For the life of me, I can't get my work laptop (brand new ThinkPad T42
> > with
> > built-in Intel wireless adapter, running XP) to connect to my home
Netgear
> > MR314 access point with 128 bit WEP turned on. I also have MAC address
> > filtering turned on.
> >
> > If I disable WEP, I can get it to connect. But if I leave WEP activated,
> > can't. The MAC address filtering doesn't seem to make a difference. I've
> > tried setting up 64 bit WEP instead and that didn't seem to help.
> >
> > I'd rather not disable WEP, and I'd rather not downgrade to 64 bit.
> >
> > The infuriating thing is that I went through this situation a few weeks
> > ago,
> > which was the first time I brought home the work laptop. When I first
> > tried
> > it, I couldn't get it to connect. I tried all combinations of turning
WEP
> > on
> > and off, changing it from 128 bit to 64 bit and back, turning on the MAC
> > address filtering and turning it off, power cycling the router, etc. --
> > tried a million combinations and finally, in desperation, I rebooted one
> > more time and miraculously, it worked (with 128 bit WEP and MAC address
> > filtering ENABLED). I had tried so many things that I wasn't sure what
> > worked, but at that point the work laptop was able to connect no matter
> > how
> > many times I rebooted it. I had no further problems for the rest of the
> > weekend (well, aside from the fact that I was *working* the whole
> > weekend).
> >
> > Since I had the correct settings (WEP key, SSID, etc.) stored in XP (my
> > network was listed as the only "preferred" network), I figured that next
> > time I brought it home, it would already have the settings and would
just
> > see my network.
> >
> > No dice. I've spent the evening trying all these things again (turning
> > various settings on and off, power cycling the laptop, router, etc.)
with
> > no
> > luck.
> >
> > Any ideas? Suggestions? Troubleshooting steps or diagnostic utilities?
I'm
> > stumped and frustrated.
> >
> Hey Newsreader, does the companyname of the company you're working for
start
> with "S" and ends with "t"?
>
> BR's,
> Invest

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.security.misc (More info?)

"Invest" <invest@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hey Newsreader, does the companyname of the company you're working for
start
> with "S" and ends with "t"?

Nope. I guess there are a few large companies that use Thinkpads and the
Nortel VPN...?

> I would first go to intel.com and check for the latest drivers. My t42 is
> brand new and is 2 levels down.
> There have been many fixes in those two levels. A lot of companies are
> redoing their drivers to be winxp compatible. Microsoft has a list of xp
> compatible hardware but cant geive you the link because it is bookmarked
on
> my old laptop!

Hmm. The T42 is pretty new and was intended for use with XP, no? And I would
assume the IT people put together a good drive image... but maybe that is a
flawed assumption.

I'm a little hesitant to install the "generic" (non-OEM) Intel drivers from
intel.com. And they actually block windowsupdate at work because they manage
all updates automatically centrally.

Plus, if I update it and screw something up, what am I gonna say to the
helpdesk people? ;-)

Maybe I'll stick with the weird-but-reliable reboot-then-suspend-and-resume
trick...

TRENDING THREADS