What the hell is going on ?

hmg57

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I'd like to know what causes PCI and/or AGP sharing problems and why some people are still telling me that you can't fill the 5 PCI slots on A7V133 without IRQ troubles. I've read many posts on this forum and it looks like the best solution when this happens is to unplug everything but the vid card and make sure it remains not shared when you add the other cards, is that it ? Thanks for any help !

*** If it still boots, tweak it ***<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hmg57 on 04/03/01 06:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I think it is a performance issue rather than what you can or cannot do. I've had all slots filled happily with no adverse side effect on 2 mobos now...

Just make sure you are using good cards that support PnP and IRQ sharing....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's right. it isn't that it won't work, it's that you won't get the best perfomance that is possible if the devices that share irq's both have to operate at the same time. from what i hear the agp and pci#1 slots both share an irq, so if they both had to access the cpu at the same time it would slow things down. if anyone can give a more technical answer, please explain.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

G

I guess if "performance problems" means blue screens and freeezes because that's what typically happens. When you move them around and they don't share the irq, the computer boots without blue screen and stops freezing.