Sign in with
Your question

computer does not keep time

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2001 2:21:51 AM

I have replaced the battery in a computer that cannot keep up with real time...any ideas what else could be causing it to not keep the correct time?

-terra

More about : computer time

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2001 2:37:27 AM

You changed the cmos battery and it still won't work?

1 - How old is the computer/mb?
2 - Does it reset or run slow/fast?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2001 2:40:28 AM

p3 550 with 64mb ram, 14 gb hd, unknown motherboard.
does run slow for a 550, no reseting and yes I did replace the battery with a new one...and it still doesnt keep the time

-terra
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2001 4:11:23 AM

I think OvrrDrive meant does the clock seem to run slow (takes say 62 minutes to go an hour). If your computer's performance is slow that could be related or a completely different problem. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's clock still being wrong after replacing the battery. Sure you got the right one? If it isn't too expensive, maybe try another?
April 4, 2001 5:09:57 PM

are you regularly using any old legacy games or programs ?? many from the 286 and 386 era commandeer the clock cycle function and halt it during use .. I have an old 16 color golf game that does that

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2001 5:41:34 PM

Heh, yes, I was referring to the clock. If it gets reset everytime you restart, then the motherboard is probably shot. I heard of a problem once like that on the Screen Savers, and they basically said that if you have changed the battery and it still doesn't keep the time, then the system crystal had gone bad and it was time to replace the mb. Unless of course, it doesn't bother you that much. I guess, in retrospect, it really doesn't matter if the time it keeps is slow or fast, if you changed the battery and it is still resetting, I don't think there is anything that can be done.
April 5, 2001 8:55:01 AM

sounds trivial and not too bad unless files can be corrupted due to inconsistant times and dates...I don't know. I probably wouldn't worry too much about the time as long as everything works. Just bookmark a clock website :) 

<font color=red>Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.</font color=red>
Pablo Picasso
April 5, 2001 2:07:00 PM

If time being off is the only problem. There is a utility out there that will sync your computer with the master clock in colorado every so often. You could set the intervals it checks. I don't remember the name, but there were a few of them. If you can't find it let me know and I'll try and dig it up.

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2001 2:22:15 PM

Good one alphateam.. There are a few of those out. I used to use one, I think it was called Atomic clock or something. You could set one of those to either update everyday, or run it manually everytime you log on. Or, just leave the computer on. I always leave mine on, there are arguments that it is better for it anyway.

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2001 4:54:26 PM

Uh...don't really know if this is going to help you or not, but I have a system that does the same thing - kinda...

I have a Tyan mobo with VIA chipset (Trinity 400 S1854). And that sucker has the new PCI spec that is always supplying power to the PCI slots.

Taken from the horses mouth:
"**Note: This board conforms to the new PCI 2.2 spec. This requires 3.3v standby for all PCI slots, DIMM banks, and PS/2 outputs (KB/PS/2 Mouse). Always remember to unplug the AC power cord before adding any PCI cards, memory, or plugging or unplugging keyboard or mouse. Otherwise the motherboard may automatically power up when adding the component."

Well I use a good surge protector like I always have and if I turn the system off by the power switch my system clock may as well eat dirt!

I resloved the issue by using a MASTER Switch/surge protector that sits below the monitor and I turn everything off there except for the 'ol computer. I just use shutdown and let the system knock itself out, but leave the juice running to it via leaving the switch on the surge protector on.

Doing this has done two things: 1) Time is correct - unless one of my little boogers (kiddies) turns everything off by the "big red button daddy?" and 2) a backache - I have to lean over and turn the system on by it's front bezel's power switch!

Hope it helps a little bit at least,
DigiMahn
!