WAP54G V1.1 in Repeater Mode

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 27, 2004 7:53:46 AM

Hi,
I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I realize
I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention anything
on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup does
mention the repeater mode.

Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?

What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?

Regards
Andres

More about : wap54g repeater mode

November 27, 2004 8:44:24 AM

Andres Dagotto thought carefully and wrote on 11/27/2004 4:53 AM:
> Hi,
> I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I realize
> I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention anything
> on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup does
> mention the repeater mode.
>
> Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?
>
> What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?
>
> Regards
> Andres

A firmware update will likely get you the repeater mode option. This
mode was added with firmware v2.07. See below for a cut from the Linksys
WAP54G v1.1 firmware release notes.

Note that firmware v1.09.1 needs to be installed before the update to
v2.07. Don't forget to reboot the WAP after firmware updates.

Also, WEP should be turned off during repeater mode setup. Turn it back
on only after the WAP is working nicely.

Don't know the difference between v1.1 and v2.

Lance
*****
Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Product: WAP54G
Classification: Firmware Release History
Release Date: 06/01/04
Last Firmware Version: v2.07, April 28, 2004

Version 2.07, April 28, 2004
- Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support
- Updated User Interface format and layout
- Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
- Adds AP Client Mode
- Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw 2.02.2
or above)

Attention: Before upgrading to fw 2.07, make sure your AP's current
firmware is 1.09.1
Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge mode in this release
Note: Please make sure to reset/reboot the unit after firmware upgrade
is complete.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 27, 2004 10:44:04 AM

I run 2.06 firmware in my v2 wap54g and it has repeater mode in the
options. Might want to upgrade em

"Andres Dagotto" <dagotto@ar.ibm.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I
realize
> I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention
anything
> on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup
does
> mention the repeater mode.
>
> Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?
>
> What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?
>
> Regards
> Andres
a b F Wireless
November 27, 2004 11:13:53 AM

"Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message

> Andres Dagotto thought carefully and wrote on 11/27/2004 4:53 AM:
> > Hi,
> > I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I
realize
> > I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention
anything
> > on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup
does
> > mention the repeater mode.
> >
> > Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?
> >
> > What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?
> >
> > Regards
> > Andres
>
> A firmware update will likely get you the repeater mode option. This
> mode was added with firmware v2.07. See below for a cut from the
Linksys
> WAP54G v1.1 firmware release notes.
>
> Note that firmware v1.09.1 needs to be installed before the update
> v2.07. Don't forget to reboot the WAP after firmware updates.
>
> Also, WEP should be turned off during repeater mode setup. Turn it
back
> on only after the WAP is working nicely.
>
> Don't know the difference between v1.1 and v2.
>
> Lance
> *****
> Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
> Product: WAP54G
> Classification: Firmware Release History
> Release Date: 06/01/04
> Last Firmware Version: v2.07, April 28, 2004
>
> Version 2.07, April 28, 2004
> - Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support
> - Updated User Interface format and layout
> - Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
> - Adds AP Client Mode
> - Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw
2.02.2
> or above)
>
> Attention: Before upgrading to fw 2.07, make sure your AP's current
> firmware is 1.09.1
> Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge mode in this release
> Note: Please make sure to reset/reboot the unit after firmware
upgrade
> is complete.

There is a different firmware for upgrade for v.1.1 and v.2 so be sure
and select the correct ones for each version.

Version 2.6 added repeater mode for the v2. Here is a cut form the
readme
Version 2.07, April 28, 2004
- Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support

Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this
release

Version 2.06, December 16, 2003 (ver.2 initial release)
- Updated User Interface format and layout
- Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
- Adds AP Client Mode
- Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw
2.02.2 or above)

Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this
release
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 28, 2004 8:32:48 PM

Hi Lance !
I did what you suggested and everything worked !

The sequence was:
1) Normal IP setup with the factory CD and firmware
2) Firmware upgrade to 1.09.1
3) Firmware upgrade to 2.07
4) Hold the reset button for 30 seconds
5) log on into the wap54g via browser
6) configure repeater, as explained in the linksys web site

So, botton line: WAP54G V1.1 can be used as a repeater of a WRT54G

Thanks folks !
Andres
!