WAP54G V1.1 in Repeater Mode

Hi,
I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I realize
I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention anything
on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup does
mention the repeater mode.

Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?

What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?

Regards
Andres
4 answers Last reply
More about wap54g repeater mode

    Andres Dagotto thought carefully and wrote on 11/27/2004 4:53 AM:
    > Hi,
    > I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I realize
    > I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention anything
    > on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup does
    > mention the repeater mode.
    >
    > Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?
    >
    > What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?
    >
    > Regards
    > Andres

    A firmware update will likely get you the repeater mode option. This
    mode was added with firmware v2.07. See below for a cut from the Linksys
    WAP54G v1.1 firmware release notes.

    Note that firmware v1.09.1 needs to be installed before the update to
    v2.07. Don't forget to reboot the WAP after firmware updates.

    Also, WEP should be turned off during repeater mode setup. Turn it back
    on only after the WAP is working nicely.

    Don't know the difference between v1.1 and v2.

    Lance
    *****
    Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Product: WAP54G
    Classification: Firmware Release History
    Release Date: 06/01/04
    Last Firmware Version: v2.07, April 28, 2004

    Version 2.07, April 28, 2004
    - Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support
    - Updated User Interface format and layout
    - Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
    - Adds AP Client Mode
    - Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw 2.02.2
    or above)

    Attention: Before upgrading to fw 2.07, make sure your AP's current
    firmware is 1.09.1
    Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge mode in this release
    Note: Please make sure to reset/reboot the unit after firmware upgrade
    is complete.

    I run 2.06 firmware in my v2 wap54g and it has repeater mode in the
    options. Might want to upgrade em

    "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message

    > Andres Dagotto thought carefully and wrote on 11/27/2004 4:53 AM:
    > > Hi,
    > > I bought a WAP54G to use in repeater mode with a WRT54G. Now I
    realize
    > > I bought a WAP54G V1.1 , and the setup menu does not mention
    anything
    > > on a 'repeater mode' function ... and I also know WAP54G V2 setup
    does
    > > mention the repeater mode.
    > >
    > > Any help ? Is it just a firmware upgrade thing ?
    > >
    > > What is the difference between a WAP54G V1.1 and V2 ?
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Andres
    >
    > A firmware update will likely get you the repeater mode option. This
    > mode was added with firmware v2.07. See below for a cut from the
    Linksys
    > WAP54G v1.1 firmware release notes.
    >
    > Note that firmware v1.09.1 needs to be installed before the update
    > v2.07. Don't forget to reboot the WAP after firmware updates.
    >
    > Also, WEP should be turned off during repeater mode setup. Turn it
    back
    > on only after the WAP is working nicely.
    >
    > Don't know the difference between v1.1 and v2.
    >
    > Lance
    > *****
    > Linksys, A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.
    > Product: WAP54G
    > Classification: Firmware Release History
    > Release Date: 06/01/04
    > Last Firmware Version: v2.07, April 28, 2004
    >
    > Version 2.07, April 28, 2004
    > - Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support
    > - Updated User Interface format and layout
    > - Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
    > - Adds AP Client Mode
    > - Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw
    2.02.2
    > or above)
    >
    > Attention: Before upgrading to fw 2.07, make sure your AP's current
    > firmware is 1.09.1
    > Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge mode in this release
    > Note: Please make sure to reset/reboot the unit after firmware
    upgrade
    > is complete.

    There is a different firmware for upgrade for v.1.1 and v.2 so be sure
    and select the correct ones for each version.

    Version 2.6 added repeater mode for the v2. Here is a cut form the
    readme
    Version 2.07, April 28, 2004
    - Adds Linksys Wireless Guard support

    Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this
    release

    Version 2.06, December 16, 2003 (ver.2 initial release)
    - Updated User Interface format and layout
    - Updated wireless driver to support all versions of WAP54G hardware
    - Adds AP Client Mode
    - Adds Wireless Repeater Mode for WAP54G and WRT54G (requires fw
    2.02.2 or above)

    Note:WPA does not work in Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode in this
    release

    Hi Lance !
    I did what you suggested and everything worked !

    The sequence was:
    1) Normal IP setup with the factory CD and firmware
    2) Firmware upgrade to 1.09.1
    3) Firmware upgrade to 2.07
    4) Hold the reset button for 30 seconds
    5) log on into the wap54g via browser
    6) configure repeater, as explained in the linksys web site

    So, botton line: WAP54G V1.1 can be used as a repeater of a WRT54G

    Thanks folks !
    Andres

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking