Sign in with
Your question

Bad WoW frame rates on GTX 285's

Last response: in Video Games
April 16, 2011 8:21:43 PM

I have 2 SLIed GTX 285s. Much more power than needed to run WoW. But when i fly around in outlands or over a city and such I get around 20-30 FPS. Thats terrible. BUT, Indoors i get like 100-110. Any reason for this discrepancy?
I DO play with graphics on ULTRA, but still shouldn't TWO 285s be enough? or are they too old now?

My System:
i7 950 OCed @ 4.1 GHz
EVGA Classified 3 Mobo
2xEVGA GTX 285s (SLIed)
12 GB Corsair Dominator 1333 DDR3
PSU: 1000wt Corsair

Playing on a 23" Asus LED monitor. 1900x1080 Graphics on ULTRA.

Are these framerates normal? Should I be able to crush wow?

Im running Cata, and everything up to date BTW.
April 16, 2011 11:04:43 PM

I haven't played WOW, but I would imagine that those framerates should be MUCH higher than that... Are you running the newest drivers? I would upgrade to the newest drivers if you can. Also, I would download evga precision if I were you so that you can see if your video cards are being used at full power. The program will tell you your gpu usage percentage. If it's not at 100%, that could tell you if its a bottleneck (no way in hell, unless something is broken) or a driver problem (I think that's much more likely)....
m
l
April 17, 2011 1:14:59 AM

jednx01 said:
I haven't played WOW, but I would imagine that those framerates should be MUCH higher than that... Are you running the newest drivers? I would upgrade to the newest drivers if you can. Also, I would download evga precision if I were you so that you can see if your video cards are being used at full power. The program will tell you your gpu usage percentage. If it's not at 100%, that could tell you if its a bottleneck (no way in hell, unless something is broken) or a driver problem (I think that's much more likely)....

I have Evga precision already. What exactly should i look up in that?

Im gonna download drivers right of EVGA website now.....

Thanks in advance
m
l
Related resources
April 17, 2011 5:06:04 PM

Have you tried it with just one card? I have a 5850 and I get over 30 FPS in Outland, however in say Dalaran at peak time looking outside the bank (Pre cata) my FPS would drop to 20s. Everything on ultra.
m
l
April 17, 2011 6:05:49 PM

Disabling shadows and sunshafts changed my FPS to 30-40 instead.

Im running 2 monitors, kinda forgot to mention that <.<....>.>

I had heaven benchmark, and my FPS was normal.

I dont get it. Any other suggetions?

I heard of someones old drivers messing with their new ones? i HAd an GT 240 before i upgreaded to these cards. but im pretty sure i did a clean install of windows shortly after i installed the cards.

Add Info: on EVGA percision my Clocks are a about 30%...... but my temps are around 70 degrees....

could it be a temp problem??

Thanks!!
m
l
April 17, 2011 6:24:47 PM

Have you tried with the other monitor disabled? You don't have any videos or anything in the background do you?
m
l
April 17, 2011 10:35:31 PM

With everything on ultra, and only one monitor i get 40ish frames while flying. so a small improvement. Only thing in the background was Google chrome. And ventrillo.

Is this just what im gonna get? I kind of assumed when i bought these that they destory wow on maxed settings. Since i heard people doing with 4850s and such.

Anything else im not seeing?
m
l
April 17, 2011 10:40:07 PM

@ 1680 X 1050 with a 5850 I see around 40+ FPS when in outland if I remember right. I would have expected you to get a bit more FPS with you having such a high O/C though. I've heard the game is really CPU based. There's no way the gaming using a logical core instead of a physical one? I thought they fixed that issue in a patch though.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:17:54 AM

I've built and tested several machines for friends and colleagues to run world of warcraft. A common problem that WoW throws at a machine is that inside a densely populated area with lots of other users inside the area (not only just existing in the area, but moving, casting spells, etc. - all things that modify the area) you run into issues where your latency or "ping" actually ends up being the bottlenecking factor in your system.

Think about it this way, for your processor to calculate/render each one of the other users/avatars in an area and for your graphics card to recieve the signal to paint the image onto the screen and actually perform its task, it has to recieve the signal from the game server, which has had to recieve that signal from multiple other locations, all with differing latencies. From this perspective, not only is your latency a limiting factor, but everyone else's latency becomes a limiting factor.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:27:55 AM

We actually built my friend (whose parents happen to own the firm) a new rig last summer with some exess IT budget money to run wow. We ended up putting an i7 extreme edition and 3 gtx 480's into the rig, all cooled on custom liquid, overclocked to its potential, etc. (I don't remember the exact numbers, as it was almost a year ago)

Long story short, we hooked the machine straight into the server which is connected to the company's T1 line, which basically hooked this machine directly into an industrial T1 line on after-hours (did this to download all the software super-fast) and tested out latencies/framerates on WoW. We were able to keep a high framerate in cities, although the framerate did drop a marginal amount.

When we hooked this rig up to his regular cable line at his house, he saw pretty much exactly what you are seeing. His framerates dropped drastically when going in and out of cities.

This really kind of sells me on the point that in certain situations with games like this, your internet connection can play a noticeable role in how well the game plays.
m
l
April 18, 2011 2:43:02 AM

WoW does not work good with SLI, it is a known fact. WoW is mostly CPU based. I had a 3.8GHz I7 920 with a 4870 and got 120FPS flying on an epic mount. Never dropped below 50FPS in Dalaran pre Cata. And my latency sucks.
m
l
April 18, 2011 5:06:09 PM

Me too I've had over 1000 ping and awful connections with normal frame rate. Now I have less then 150 with 5mb down and same FPS.
m
l
April 23, 2011 12:39:10 AM

So of all that data i can get the its probably SLI? WoW just doesn't play nice with SLI?

And plus if it was my connection, i should be ok

Anything else it could be? Im starting to get irritated. I can fly over Uldum without getting like 20-25 FPS......
m
l
April 23, 2011 1:02:08 AM

So i tried just running wiht one card, and it runs BETTER >.<

I get 30-40 even 45-50 frames in places i used to get 20-30......

I am stuck?

Or could a card be bad, and how could i check?
m
l
!