Slowdown starcraft 2 ati radeon 5670

Dominic6

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello,

I seem to have slowdown at intervals playing starcraft 2, with a radion 5670 hd 3d graphics card. even on the lowest settings, or highest settings (not due to units on screen, it just happens whenever it feels. here are my specs: <<< System Summary >>>
> Mainboard : Asus M2N68-AM SE2
> Chipset : Athlon64/Opteron/Sempron (K8 Family) HyperTransport Configuration
> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @ 2700MHz
> Physical Memory : 3072MBDDR2-SDRAM
> Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series
> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD501LJ SCSI Disk Device (500GB)
> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
> Monitor Type : Envision EN-775e - 16 inches
> Network Card : Juniper Network Connect Virtual Adapter
> Network Card : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
> DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2010) please help!

Your processor or CPU, seems to be the problem. You need to have a good, processor, like a Phenom X 4, in order to run the game without having much slowdowns. This is mainly because Starcraft 2 is CPU hungry rather than GPU. So having a better processor may help. Did you install any new patches or downloaded the latest ATI drivers for your HD 5670. Do you have issues with any other games ?

Dominic6

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
no issues with any other games that I have played, doom 3 quake 4, devil may cry 4, I dunno starcraft 2 is the real recent game I have, yes my drivers are up to date. as to patches? patches to what starcraft? well yea I have to to play online. patches up to date in game as well. (as you may know Im not a pro in computers, actually I dont know anything lol) I just found it wierd, that weather I was on low graphics or high, it would still slow down for 30 seconds, then go back to normal for 3 minutes then drop. doesent matter if its in a huge battle or not. could be right off the beginning of the game.

Dominic6

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
not that I know of. here is my processes right now, and mostly every day. (I dont know all of them and which ones I can turn off.

iexplorer.exe.
bluebirds.exe.
SC@.exe (thats starcraft no point turning the program I want off lol
alg.exe (this one says local service not user)
ctfmon.exe
svchost.exe - SYSTEM
soffice.bin
ati2evxx.exe (could that be my ati card?)
scvhost.exe (again?)
jusched.exe
wmiprvse.exe - SYSTEM
msseces.exe
ntuneservice.exe (this should probably be removed alltogehter)
jqs.exe. -SYSTEM
l3trace_initualizer - SYSTEM
spoolsv.exe -SYSTEM
inen_qos_service w322-1-1.exe -SYSTEM
MsMpEng.exe -SYSTEM
CCC.exe (control catalyst center)
Issas.exe -SYSTEM
Services.exe -SYSTEM
Winlogon.exe -SYSTEM
crss.exe -SYSTEM
smss.exe -SYSTEM
soffice.exe -SYSTEM (open office I think for my work)
System -SYSTEM
System idle process -SYSTEM

anyways I think thats all of them, any junk you notice in there?
I also noticed (like i said Im a noob) having task manager up, playing starcraft 2, there is a total of 3144924 for physical memory (must be ram in kilobytes?
when playing the game I have 600,000 available. (can I use that memory for the game?
do you need any other info from me I could pull up while running the game?

Im watching a replay (that sometimes slows down too. and while task manarger is open I have SC2.exe using resources, taskmgr (obviously) internet explorer, cause this page is up. and thats it the rest is system idle process.

viewing my replay i notice that sc2.exe can go up to 66% cpu usage.
hope this helps!

Dominic6

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

this pc is only 2 years old, it needs an upgrade? :(

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
@Dominic6,
I have the AMD Phenom X4 BE 2.6ghz and SC2 ran like crap, I had to OC it to 2.9ghz and now it runs great. SC2 needs more CPU power. I have the black edition and was able to OC to 2.9 on a stock cooler. Your CPU does not appear to be a black edition and you will need to research the best way to OC it.

also, based on the requirements for the game http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=26242&locale=en_US your video card is sub par.

My recommendation is upgrade your video card, upgrade your processor and upgrade your OS...for your hardware look on ebay and craigslist