Buying from Pricewatch companies...

G

There's a great deal for an MSI mobo and 1.2 Ghz processor on pricewatch.com. For anyone who has bought from companies on pricewatch, are they reliable? If while building my comp something screws up, will they help me out? Do they sell good parts?

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, that completely depends on WHICH company you're talking about. Try resellerratings.com

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I just bought an entire system from stuff on pricewatch. The companies I used were great. But i mean, sometimes you can tell when the company seems shady or not. Sometimes they're just nerds who don't care about web design =P Anyways, they sent out everything promptly. One company even overnighted my stuff at no extra cost!

It's better to be pissed off than pissed on :)

G

Thx for that website recommendation, I think I'm gonna order through MWave now.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheFuzz on 04/04/01 08:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Pricewatch is a great utility. BUT the big thing to watch out for is shipping cost. I had a company who had a processer for $10 cheaper than anyone else, but they wanted $28 for GROUND UPS on a 1.5oz $75 Processer. That was just nuts. And there are some companys who won't tell you the shipping cost until after you submit your order. So if a place is cheap and they don't have their shipping stated up front I'd avoid them.

I did have several good transactions with Paragon Computers. www.pargoncomp.com. Their prices might be a couple dollars higher than the rest, but reasonable shipping costs and they are quick too.

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

G

The biggest problem is that it's impossible to tell what kind of company you're dealing with by their website. I know some idiots that know good html... :)

Avoid Components Direct at all costs. I don't even want to talk about it again, suffice to say I finally got my cash back after 6 weeks when the order was never shipped...

Good ones I dealt with and recommend:

Antares Computing http://www.antarescomputinginc.com/Index.htm
Cooler Guys www.coolerguys.com (highly recommend)
Crucial www.crucial.com (very satisfied)

Those are a few that stand out to me... "Your results may vary..."

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."

FLINTSTONE

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I've built 3 puters from "Pricewatch" companies. Never had a problem. I try to phone in all my orders and ask if what I want is in stock and when will it ship etc. I've had great luck with Axion Technologies, Accubyte,Inc., Powerstart Computer Co., to name a few.
I've also had great luck with buying from U-bid.com. Some great prices, but I always check Pricewatch before I bid!!
Good Luck!

rfh1234

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I bought most of my new stuff from z-buy.com because they don't charge for shipping on 99% of what they sell. I got my stuff in 3 days and with the no shipping charge, I ended up paying way less overall for my stuff. I bought my IBM HD 45gb, plextor 16/10/40 burner and a floppy, they all work great, no complaints, although I've heard complaints from 1 or 2 people concerning returns. They are pretty bad there I guess but if you know what you want and don't return then it's a great place to get stuff. Ususally pricewatch has ratings I think in 1 of the columns too