Ever heard of *677

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 8:40:59 AM

I just received a mail message a "sad story" that someone using verizon
wireless contacted emergency help by pressing *677. Encouraging people to
pass-it-on. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or the story? If true, I'd
like to help pass it on; if not, then I'd like to nip it in the bud, because
someone needing help might actually believe it.

Looking for your help to tell me if *677 is a valid calling code, and if not
verizon, any other carrier as well.

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you.

More about : heard 677

October 17, 2004 12:11:55 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 04:40:59 GMT, "dr.wireMORE"
<dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

>I just received a mail message a "sad story" that someone using verizon
>wireless contacted emergency help by pressing *677. Encouraging people to
>pass-it-on. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or the story? If true, I'd
>like to help pass it on; if not, then I'd like to nip it in the bud, because
>someone needing help might actually believe it.
>
>Looking for your help to tell me if *677 is a valid calling code, and if not
>verizon, any other carrier as well.

If you're in an emergency why would you not use anything else other
than 911? That's what it's there for!

a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 4:46:36 PM

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
>I just received a mail message a "sad story" that someone using
>verizon
> wireless contacted emergency help by pressing *677. Encouraging
> people to
> pass-it-on. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or the story? If true,
> I'd
> like to help pass it on; if not, then I'd like to nip it in the bud,
> because
> someone needing help might actually believe it.
>
> Looking for your help to tell me if *677 is a valid calling code,
> and if not
> verizon, any other carrier as well.
>
> --
> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>
> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to
> contact
> you.

It may well be, however it may depend on the state your in (MA) has
such a provision for assistance on their highways and I believe Maine
has another number for cellular callers etc. I do however think that
the 911 is a national number in the USA. I noticed that in Parts of
Canada I travel in the 411 which is Directory assistance here was used
for the emergency services. (it may have changed by now)

Elector
Related resources
October 17, 2004 4:46:37 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:46:36 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>I noticed that in Parts of
>Canada I travel in the 411 which is Directory assistance here was used
>for the emergency services. (it may have changed by now)

Balderdash! 411 has *never* been used for emergency services anywhere
in North America. 911 has been the emergency number for over thirty
years. If 911 wasn't available people were always instructed to dial
'0' for operator. 311 is *starting* to be used in many areas for
non-emergency police. Hardly universal though.

a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 5:05:24 PM

<snip>

> If you're in an emergency why would you not use anything else other
> than 911? That's what it's there for!

We have problems here (Alabama) with 911 from a cell phone going to the
wrong city / county to help, time is lost while the call is transfered. *HP
gets the State police which maybe or not a better choice. I live in Wiston
county home of the first E911 system but not sure we have invested to keep
up, in a perfect world a gps enabled cell phone would send a cell phone 911
call to the correct center.
October 17, 2004 8:23:44 PM

Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in

> 911 has been the emergency number for over thirty years. If 911 wasn't
available people were always instructed to dial '0' for operator.

*677 is also used in Ontario for emergency calls.
http://www.police.smiths-falls.on.ca/phone_listings.htm

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 8:23:45 PM

orwell wrote:

>>911 has been the emergency number for over thirty years. If 911 wasn't
>
> available people were always instructed to dial '0' for operator.
>
> *677 is also used in Ontario for emergency calls.
> http://www.police.smiths-falls.on.ca/phone_listings.htm

*677 = *ONP

This is like the specific star codes many states have set up for the state
police departments.

a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 8:23:46 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> *677 = *ONP

Uh, that's wrong. *677 corresponds to *OPP. Ontario Provincial Police.

Sorry :)

a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 9:39:52 PM

in Massachusetts *677 is for MA State Police

"dr.wireMORE" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
>I just received a mail message a "sad story" that someone using verizon
> wireless contacted emergency help by pressing *677. Encouraging people to
> pass-it-on. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or the story? If true, I'd
> like to help pass it on; if not, then I'd like to nip it in the bud,
> because
> someone needing help might actually believe it.
>
> Looking for your help to tell me if *677 is a valid calling code, and if
> not
> verizon, any other carrier as well.
>
> --
> dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
> Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
> Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
> computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
>
> If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
> you.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 9:39:53 PM

MrRx wrote:
> in Massachusetts *677 is for MA State Police

Yes. *MSP. Although I thought it was just *77.

Ohio wins the prize for dumbest star-code to reach the highway patrol!

*990

a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 10:22:22 PM

Begin dr.wireMORE quote:

; I just received a mail message a "sad story" that someone using verizon
; wireless contacted emergency help by pressing *677. Encouraging people to
; pass-it-on. Has anyone ever heard of this? Or the story? If true, I'd
; like to help pass it on; if not, then I'd like to nip it in the bud, because
; someone needing help might actually believe it.

Well, around these parts (Massachusetts), *77 gets you the State
Police, who can then transfer you to whatever emergency service you
need when you tell them you're on a cellular. This dial code is
cross-carrier, so it doesn't matter if you're on Verizon, Sprint, AT&T,
or whatever.

Plain 911<send> also goes to the State Police when called from a
cellular. My phone has that pre-programmed into the speed dial
position 9.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometime
until we get an objective analysis." George W. Bush, Meet the Press,
April 15, 2000
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 17, 2004 11:44:54 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:46:36 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I noticed that in Parts of
>>Canada I travel in the 411 which is Directory assistance here was
>>used
>>for the emergency services. (it may have changed by now)
>
> Balderdash! 411 has *never* been used for emergency services
> anywhere
> in North America. 911 has been the emergency number for over thirty
> years. If 911 wasn't available people were always instructed to
> dial
> '0' for operator. 311 is *starting* to be used in many areas for
> non-emergency police. Hardly universal though.

On the yellow and blue Emergency Services Vehicles in Montreal they
sign stated Dial 411 for emergency service.
I have not looked in awhile but if I go up there again in the future I
will be looking for the vehicle and will snap a digital photo to see
if I was correct. I also thought the 411 was for directory assistance
that is why it struck me so strange.

Elector
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 18, 2004 3:29:11 AM

In Colorado, the State Patrol (CSP) wanted to encourage people to call when
they see a drunk driver, but didn't think it was 'emergency' enough to call
911. So, they added *DUI (*384), then expanded it to report road rage, *CSP
(*276). I'm sure it got some response when they first intiated it. But I'm
sure it was soon forgotten.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

> This is like the specific star codes many states have set up for the state
> police departments.

October 18, 2004 5:19:53 AM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> Well, around these parts (Massachusetts), *77 gets you the State
> Police, who can then transfer you to whatever emergency service you
> need when you tell them you're on a cellular. This dial code is
> cross-carrier, so it doesn't matter if you're on Verizon, Sprint, AT&T,
> or whatever.
>
> Plain 911<send> also goes to the State Police when called from a
> cellular. My phone has that pre-programmed into the speed dial
> position 9.

Most of the alternate numbers are strictly related to call density
by the various agencies. They all want the calls for staffing
numbers; public safety is a secondary consideration. I spent 20 years
in emergency services and was disgusted by the petty politics that
went on with the advent of 911... Everyone should be bitching...
There should be ONE number with all resources controlled from there.

--
Jim
Anonymous

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:55 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>If you're in an emergency why would you not use anything else other
>than 911? That's what it's there for!

Sometimes, it's quicker to dial *47 (*HP) and reach the highway patrol
dispatcher faster than going through the 911 center, only to have them
transfer you to HP dispatch anyways.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 18, 2004 11:30:14 PM

In article <eom6n01jdu66u981m1dg3g8mog949pvsll@4ax.com>,
The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:11:55 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>Sometimes, it's quicker to dial *47 (*HP) and reach the highway patrol
>dispatcher faster than going through the 911 center, only to have them
>transfer you to HP dispatch anyways.

In California, cellular 911 goes to the Highway Patrol, who can transfer
the call to other agencies as required. The assumption (when this was
set up years ago) was that most cellular 911 calls were from people in
cars. Not a particularly valid assumption any more. And when there is
an accident, they get hundreds of call reporting the incident, meaning
that anyone with an unrelated problem is out of luck.

We also have cellular call boxes every 1/4 mile or so on our major
highways in most counties. These also go to the Highway Patrol, but
the public has been advised to NOT use these to report emergencies,
since they are lower priority than cellular 911, and are assumed to be
used for things like breakdowns.
October 19, 2004 1:16:52 AM

While 911 remains THE emergency number for USA and most of Canada, many
specific highways and police departments with limited enforcement areas and
*shared* 911 facilities use their own 3-digit code to cut down on the transfer
time.

Foorinstance, driving along the Atlantic City <NJ> Expressway, I can get the 911
center that'll hand me off to the state police responsible for that particular
roade, or dial *223 (*ACE) and get 'em faster.

While it is advertised every few miles *along* these roadways, it is *not*
advertised off of them, primarilly to prevent confusion when folks are at their
most confuseable.

So someone dialing random numbers will occasionally hit one of these things.

What else is new? I'd just like to find a way to kill the GPS on my Moto V60i on
some emergency calls and convince them to boost the firmware to let it function
as a general GPS reciever for my laptop.

<I'd probably never use the first, but I want it *there* because I'm pissed off
about *ever* having to give *any information* to law enfoprcement unless I'm a
suspect or victim, and therefore protected. Like the Patriot brout out the
facist in US law enforcers, it brought out the" Take to the streets and protect
our library reading rights<1>" in me>

While a decent GPS reciever for the job is under $100, why duplicate devices? I
drive a small car.

TrAl

<1>WHILE YOU WEREN'T LOOKING because you were under a cloud of FEAR, little of
it justified, the Patriot Act gave the cops the ability to demand libraries turn
over your records to you, ditto book stores and audio/vidio sales&rental shops.

That was just ONE set of rights you lost with that law because the White House,
more than the terrorists had us affraid.

These days, librarians routinely destroy records once books are returned. But
government folks can be a bit strange - Attorney General Ashcroft spent hundreds
of thousands of taxpayer dollars <well, actually BORROWED money, but who's
looking> checking out our foreign embassies for polidactyl cats ("Money cats",
the ones with extra toes) which he linked with some kind of evil demonic force.
He didn't even get his superstition rght, and said he was looking for "calico
cats" which are domestic cats that are mostly white with clearly defined patches
of black and red.

He also spent several tens of thousands to conceal the statue of Justice in the
rotunda in the DoJ building because she had one brass breast exposed.

Maybe the real War Hero will win this time out.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 23, 2004 12:50:56 AM

Bill Radio wrote:
> In Colorado, the State Patrol (CSP) wanted to encourage people to call when
> they see a drunk driver, but didn't think it was 'emergency' enough to call
> 911. So, they added *DUI (*384), then expanded it to report road rage, *CSP
> (*276). I'm sure it got some response when they first intiated it. But I'm
> sure it was soon forgotten.

OT: I remember 800-GRAB-DUI being advertised for DUI purposes on the back of
Ohio Highway Patrol cruisers. Do any other states use 800-GRAB-DUI?

a b F Wireless
October 23, 2004 6:20:38 AM

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:50:56 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>OT: I remember 800-GRAB-DUI being advertised for DUI purposes on the back of
>Ohio Highway Patrol cruisers. Do any other states use 800-GRAB-DUI?

Not that I've ever seen. In SC, it's *DUI and you get HP dispatch.
In fact, a google search yealds the following:

http://www.statepatrol.ohio.gov/programs/GRABDUI.HTML

It seems it's just for Ohio. I don't even remember seeing it when I
was in Dayton last summer, but then, I wasn't really paying *that*
much attention to the back of OHP cars. I think I only saw about 3 or
4 OHP the entire week.

Here's MADD's list of numbers:

http://www.madd.org/aboutus/0,1056,1641,00.html
!