G

The A7M266 (AMD761 chipset) mobo I just got doesn't give a beep at all. The first time it booted, it gave the beep and even had the energy saver logo. Now it doesn't even boot anymore. Any ideas why? I've tried removing parts of the computer to see if it'll at least give me post errors, but none of that's happening either.

I'm suspecting my bios has gone haywire. Is it possible to reset the bios with a jumper?

G

The first thing you should mention is how big is your power supply.. I've seen a lot of posts where a bigger psu did the trick. I have an a7m266 also, and - as luck would have it :) - had to reset my bios two days ago. In the manual near the end of the bios section (page 59), it *mentions* how to reset the cmos if you lost your cmos password; this is the procedure for resetting the bios also. I say *mentions* because it is very breif and doesn't really tell it in a way to be easily understood. To reset it, you have to unplug the computer, pop the cmos battery out, and use a screwdriver to short out the two solder points below and to the right of the battery. In the book, it appears to tell you to connect the jumpers right below the battery, these jumpers are for hooking up a psu monitor, not for reset. You will see two dots of solder that are labeled on the board as 'clrtc' (clear real time clock), that is where you short it. Get a good connection and hold it for about 5 seconds, then plug it back in and try to boot.

If you still have problems getting a post, take a look at your psu. I have a 300 watt and I think that is about the minimum. Make sure you have a good connection on the main power connector and that the cpu is installed correctly.

Trust me, when you get it booted, it will have been worth all the pain... ;)