Gaming on Dail Up?

dominnater

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I live out in the country, and I've tried everything to get fast internet. I used satelite which limited my usage and was expensive, Tried using my cell phone which worked well until we no longer were able to pay for the bill, and now I'm on dial up.

With the first 2 steam worked, while not perfectly, it worked. I had to sit through agonizing updates and loging on every time I powered up the Pc, but its what I had to do to play. Now with dial up though, thats all changed. Now its super slow, That is if I can even log on.

What I want to know is, is there a way I can play steam games like l4d2 without steam? Im not looking to pirate any games, just buy the games and somehow hack them? I don't know but steam is a load of bs in my opinion.

the thing with dial up is its expensive and slow.
it has a low priority at the exchange so often will have a much higher ping which means lots of ingame lag.
there isnt a lot you can do about it other than get a dedicated BB line, the company you are already with will probably be able to set you cheaply as a bundle.

you cant play online games that need steam to be running if your not loged into steam. its a form of copy protection.
the guys that crack games have in the most part left cracking multiplayer because even they know that its not in the best interests of gaming to allow pirates to play online.
after all if they are willing to steal a game they are likley to use hacks and cheats to spoil it for every 1 else who pay's and supports the companies.
often the only time they will crack multiplayer is if they think the company that created the game has acted unfairly towards the community (like crytec did by giving the pc a console game)...

so basically what im saying is no, you cant play online with cracked games in the most part.
get a better net connection, if you do want to play online with your originals.

dominnater

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I dont want to play online, I just want to play single player l4d and games of the such without using steam because it doesn't work well with dial up. I cant get a better connection because in my area dial is the fastest without going satelite or a cell phone company, which I can't do.

you only need steam to sign in. as soon as you sign in you can play the game.
its not actually connecting to anything other than the verification.
so 1s steam is up and running you can forget about it. the game will boot. verify itself and start. in total it will read about 4kb of data from steam, so even on your line it wont be a problem.
if your asking for us to supply you with cracks then thats against the terms and conditions.
really m8 even with a very very slow line your validation would take less than 30 seconds.
you can also try optimizing your connection with apps like tuneup utils. which should speed up your connection some.

yup. you will still need to verify your game via steam but after that you can switch to offline mode. but be aware that you will need to set online mode back on every week at least to update steam and your account. or you will end up with there is no active steam account on this pc message.

dominnater

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
connection is as fast s it will get, any way I can make the updates faster? cause parents don't like the internet to be on all the time cause they use the phone.

Edit: I decided to use cousins fast internet to update steam and game online/download mods

nope i dont defend piracey. some groups have been known to actually understand if they crack games fully the games companies will stop making games. there not complete idiots. most decent crackers will make a point of "if you like it buy it" which means they do have some moral code to which they are adhering.

and please don't get all greater than though as i can guarantee you will have a ripped dvd or some music and its exactly the same thing. copyright theft.

games dont cost more because of piracy, they cost what the game companies think they can get away with charging.
i have been gaming since 1979 and have seen how software companies act. not 1 has gone under because of piracey, they went under because they made poor games.
some companies have gone from a few hundred million to earning 10's of billions all the time complaining piracy is affecting profits... oh please pull the other 1, piracy of games is way less prevalent than of movies and music.

the software companies have never had it so good.

no m8 i dont defend piracey but i also dont defend faceless companies that give the bare minimum they can get away with for the maximum amount of money.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Launching Steam in offline mode worked for me when I was working away from home in an area with no internet access. If you need to log in once in a while so that you don’t get Steam being confused, then a mobile broadband dongle should work (you said you’d used your mobile phone in the past).

If you’re OK not getting updates and DLC, that should work for you.

festerovic

Distinguished

+1 to this truth.