red missing printing hp970cxi

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

hi,
strange problem: I'm using an hp970cxi printer with windows 2000 SP3.
suddenly after changing cartridge it printed ok for a while, then
stopped using the red color.
I've tried to clean etc.etc no change.
since pressing the cartridge on a piece of paper showed red color I
tought was not a cleaning problem, but a driver problem.
so I decide to REINSTALL win200. after that I installed the printer
driver and the test page was ok. trying to print another picture again
the red was missing... and after that also the test page had the red
missing.
So i REINSTALLED for the second time win2000 to check wether it was a
case or not, but at the beginning was ok and now again the red is
missing...
any idea?
thank you

david

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Return the cart. It may have an electrical problem. Get another and
test. If the problem persists then do a complete uninstall of the print
driver and reboot before reinstalling the driver. If you still have the
problem then use a different document. If you then still have the
problem you may have a short in one of the circuit boards in the printer.

"dave" <SPAMdavide.cavaleri@libero.it> wrote in message

> strange problem: I'm using an hp970cxi printer with windows 2000 SP3.
> suddenly after changing cartridge it printed ok for a while, then
> stopped using the red color.

Most likely you have a defective cartridge. This can sometimes occur with
cartridges that are very old or have been stored in adverse conditions.. First
check the warranty date as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014.
If the cartridge is still in warranty (and an original HP cartridge) contact HP
or your dealer for a replacement. If the cartridge is beyond its two year
warranty you need a fresh cartridge.

When purchasing new cartridges look for the "install by" date on the cartridge.
I would look for a cartridge with at least six months remaining before the
"install by" date, which would have at least a year of remaining warranty.

When storing cartridges for an extended time keep them in a cool place and
keep them in position as they would be hanging on a store display for best
results.

Regards,

dave wrote:
> hi,
> strange problem: I'm using an hp970cxi printer with windows 2000 SP3.
> suddenly after changing cartridge it printed ok for a while, then
> stopped using the red color.
> I've tried to clean etc.etc no change.
> since pressing the cartridge on a piece of paper showed red color I
> tought was not a cleaning problem, but a driver problem.
> so I decide to REINSTALL win200. after that I installed the printer
> driver and the test page was ok. trying to print another picture again
> the red was missing... and after that also the test page had the red
> missing.
> So i REINSTALLED for the second time win2000 to check wether it was a
> case or not, but at the beginning was ok and now again the red is
> missing...
> any idea?
> thank you
>
> david
It's very unlikely a driver problem or windows problem. Most likely you
have an intermittent cartridge ink supply. Test it by printing the tri
color page on this link-
http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/primerpages.html

jay

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

HP always says never to touch the copper contacts on the cartridges with
your fingers, but I would swab those contacts with a Q-Tip laden with C-L-R
or some other anti-corrosive, as well as the ones in the print cartridge
carrier inside the printer (after unplugging it first :} ).

If it's a corroded contact, that should clean it up. If it still isn't
working, return the cartridge for a replacement.