Newbie wanting to avoid making a mistake!

G

I have my system running. : )

Asus A7V133
Asus V7700 Geforce 2 GTS w/32meg

I have updated bios to latest version, 1004.
I have windows installed and running.

Should I just install all the stuff on the support CD (Via 4 in 1, Promise Ultra100, PC probe, etc) or is there stuff that I should avoid? Anything that I should get the latest of?

For the video card same question... Should I just install from CD, then check for updated drivers?

Things are going well for my first build. I would rather look like a fool and ask a few stupid questions, then just plow ahead and make a mistake that I would regret.

big-b

mpjesse

Splendid
YES. That CD contains the motherboard drivers as well as the UATA drivers. You won't get ATA100 to work in windows unless you install those drivers.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

RCPilot

Champion
If you want to update the drivers off of the disk, load the ones on the disk first & then update those drivers off the web. You can have problems with them if you don't. There are a lot later BIOS's out there. When I bought my board it had 1004c on it. I've downloaded 1006a, but haven't flashed it yet, this weekend.

Have Fun with your new comuter!

Skinny

G

Do you have the A7V133? I thought the 1006 was for the A7V, am I mistaken?

big_b

RCPilot

Champion
I'm running the very same board as you. A7V kt133. I can never see the latest bios on asus web page. Go to www.amdzone.com & look there. It could have been www.socketa.com.

Well I just did that & could only find 1005d there. Now I can't remember just where I got the 1006a. I know it's out there.

I'm sorry if I lead you astray. I'm at work & did the down load at home.
Skinny

G

> I'm running the very same board as you. A7V kt133

No you're not. You've got an A7V with the KT133 chipset, he's got an A7V133 which has the KT133A chipset. Similar names but different boards. The 1004 is the latest BIOS for him, the 1007 is the latest for you.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the latest bios and 4 in 1 drivers are a must.

the video card question: yes use the cd then get the detonator drivers from nvidia.com

i left off the pc probe. i didn't need it and it would have been another resource hog program running in the background wasting cpu power.

take care of that and you should be in good shape.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>