Super disappointed in fallout3 : (

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
My main gripe, the main quest line is FAR too short. I had no idea the game was going to end when i typed in that code! Let me make this clear, i realize now that most of the game is side quests and exploring, im saying i am disappointed in the main quest line.

I am not a gamer at all, this is actually the first game other than wow i have given a try on the PC, i havent played any other games since super mario.

It just really sucks when i started to get the feeling of getting more powerful (collecting weps/armor/caps) and then i got the carpet pulled out from under me! I had some big plans dude, now i gotta start over. I was lvl 12 and had around 11 hours played into the game, i am sure i would have finished sooner hadn't i found side quests that distracted me from the main one (i didn't even realize what was the main quest until a bit into it, and definitely didnt know the game would "end"!).

Also, i purchased the game of the year addition and i just read somewhere that even after i type the code into the purifier machine, that there was more game to be played. Mine just went right to the credits. Are all of the downloadable content packs side missions, and are they already integrated into the game (downloaded the GOTY edition from steam).

I am not even 100% sure i am going to revisit this game now, which also sucks. I know there is a ton more stuff i could do, but with already knowing the ending it takes a lot of that away from me. I wish a dialogue would have popped up saying "if you do this quest, the game will be over" lol. I just have a lot of games on my radar that look good, and coming back to this game now is going to feel cheapened@!

Man i had such big plans. I was gonna buy all that stuff at tenpenny tower (had almost 5k caps already) that turns your room into a 1 stop shop basically. I was just astounded how fast that was when you just do the main quest, sheesh. Not to mention all the thought i put into the character system and was racking up skills and points and perks and just could not wait until lvl 30 to see how powerful i felt, i dont even know if i will see lvl 30 now.

I know its an old game but many people suggested it for my first real PC game. Bottom line is it is a very cool game but i feel the developers over there dropped the ball BIG TIME on the main quest line.

I am sure some of you are thinking "why didnt you look stuff up on the internet", in a bit of irony portrayed by my premature ending, i dont like surprises.

your not wrong. the game is mainly side quests, but they do allow you to stock up on skills which will make completing the final stages against the super mutants easier.
the main quest is about 6 hours long if you run. the game itself excluding dlc is around 40 hours, add in the dlc and your looking at 50+
mother ship zeta was my personal fav.

if your into action rpg's.
then masseffect and eldar scrolls IV: oblivion are games you will enjoy. there side quest driven games 2 but do have slightly longer main quests. especially oblivion.

AntiCommie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
If you load the Brotherhood of Steel DLC the game wont end after you enter the code. I'd load that and then load your save before entering the code. You can then continue your game without missing anything. Also, try the Pitt DLC. It was one of my favorite areas.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
All I can say is fallout 3 was great. I do admit that I was upset because when I finished the game I didnt have the DLC yet :(. But as others have said load up the DLC the load your last save ( it should have saved as soon as you walked into the last room but before you entered the code) and you can then play more. They did a real good job of making the BHOS DLC feel like it was in the original game :)

bloodlover

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Fallout 3 is more about exploring and side-quests. Load a save game before the ending or load the Brotherhood of Steel DLC and you will be able to play further. My advice would be to forget about the main story till' you reach max. level. Raise your skills, get the perks that you feel are good and enjoy the game.

At least say thanks that you didn;t play the first two Fallout games. Then you would have experienced true disappointment...

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I'm in the same boat. Played the game for many hours doing side-quests and main quest and then finished it. When I got ready to continue with the expansion packs, I realized that I should have been doing them during the quest (and not once it was all over). I figured I'd start from my last save when i'll feel like it but 6 months later, I still haven't "felt" like returning to this game at all. Too many other good games I haven't played.

I also made the error of playing Borderlands after this episode...which is probably why I haven't gotten back to Fallout 3 yet. I think I'll just wait for RAGE...

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Are yuo saying Borderlands was better than Fallout 3? I hope not lol I think of the games released the past few years I got the most gameplay out of fallout 3 by far :)

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

I'm not saying anything. I loved both games. Though quantity doesn't always beat quality.

Fallout 3 had more content (in fact, so much that I have yet to finish it with all it's expansion packs) and maybe a little more in-dept or serious storyline but Borderlands had fabulous cooperative gameplay which is a feature that was non-existent in Fallout 3. It's hard to compare the two (and I'm not even going to try)...which is why I simply admit having enjoyed both games.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah I here the co op is great with borderlands Im to lazy to set up a game spy account lol