Solved

32-programs and 64-bit W7

- I have a fairly large simulation program that runs well under 32-bit Vista as well as XP. It needs no drivers other than the standard video-chip driver in my PC. My question is: will the 32-bit program work under 64-bit Vista and W7?

Thank you very much GAK
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about programs
  1. Best answer
    If it runs on Vista, then it should run on Win7 (any version)
  2. yes
  3. Should work fine, only difference is it will likely install the files to a x86 Program Files folder, but that should not alter how it works.
  4. If you run into an issue with it running or installing try running the installer in compatibility mode, it fixed some issue I was having with a really old piece of software.

To be honest I am amazed at the compatibility and have had so few issues its great.
  5. - thank you all so much. Actually, the Desire simulation program (sites.google.com/site/gatmkorn) installs without an installer and never uses the registry- you just copy the program! biffle
  6. biffle_93 said:
    - thank you all so much. Actually, the Desire simulation program (sites.google.com/site/gatmkorn) installs without an installer and never uses the registry- you just copy the program! biffle

Wow you do not see those that often any more (well Firefox portable and some USB stick applications) I remember on Windows 95 tons of software was just click and run no install.

If it is really ancient software, there is something I found for Vista that works for 7 too its for old OCX and some DLL files. Its a program called Ascentive Library Install Files.

This is for reeeaaally old software lol

http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=MSCOMCTL.OCX

I do not know if installing these files will make your computer less safe or unleash demons from hell but it did help me run a really old program that was designed for Win95.
  7. - the simulation program (Desire, see sites.google.com/site/gatmkorn) is not that old (about one year only). And it needs no installer; you just copy the distribution files to a directory, never use the (expletive deleted) MS registry. I hope for the best!

Thanks again
    biffle_93
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Windows XP Windows 7