Sign in with
Your question
Solved

32-programs and 64-bit W7

Last response: in Windows 7
October 9, 2009 12:21:10 PM

- I have a fairly large simulation program that runs well under 32-bit Vista as well as XP. It needs no drivers other than the standard video-chip driver in my PC. My question is: will the 32-bit program work under 64-bit Vista and W7?

Thank you very much GAK

More about : programs bit

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2009 1:30:59 PM

If it runs on Vista, then it should run on Win7 (any version)
Related resources
October 10, 2009 1:36:35 AM

Should work fine, only difference is it will likely install the files to a x86 Program Files folder, but that should not alter how it works.
m
l
October 10, 2009 4:44:56 AM

If you run into an issue with it running or installing try running the installer in compatibility mode, it fixed some issue I was having with a really old piece of software.

To be honest I am amazed at the compatibility and have had so few issues its great.
m
l
October 10, 2009 2:51:52 PM

- thank you all so much. Actually, the Desire simulation program (sites.google.com/site/gatmkorn) installs without an installer and never uses the registry- you just copy the program! biffle
m
l
October 11, 2009 2:35:10 AM

biffle_93 said:
- thank you all so much. Actually, the Desire simulation program (sites.google.com/site/gatmkorn) installs without an installer and never uses the registry- you just copy the program! biffle

Wow you do not see those that often any more (well Firefox portable and some USB stick applications) I remember on Windows 95 tons of software was just click and run no install.

If it is really ancient software, there is something I found for Vista that works for 7 too its for old OCX and some DLL files. Its a program called Ascentive Library Install Files.

This is for reeeaaally old software lol

http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?...

I do not know if installing these files will make your computer less safe or unleash demons from hell but it did help me run a really old program that was designed for Win95.
m
l
October 18, 2009 1:43:46 PM

- the simulation program (Desire, see sites.google.com/site/gatmkorn) is not that old (about one year only). And it needs no installer; you just copy the distribution files to a directory, never use the (expletive deleted) MS registry. I hope for the best!

Thanks again
biffle_93
m
l
!