No printing online

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Pentium III 733, Windows98SE, IE 6, Printer: HP Deskjet 970 Cxi, Netgear
PCI Adapter FA311, ADSL Modem Alcatel Speed Touch 510

ADSL works fine, and the printer also works fine when not printing online.

But when we are online and try to print a page from a website, the
printer starts printing maybe up to one page and then the whole system
crashes/reboots without any warning. After the reboot there is
information that there's something in the printer's waiting line.
Decision either to cancel or to print in RAW.

The crash also happens, when we are online and try to print something
from Word or Word Pad.

We have already installed the latest driver for the hp deskjet 970 Cxi,
but that didn't help. And as I said the printer works fine when we are
not online. And Norton 2005 says there are no viruses.

Appreciate any information, thanx

Peter Sch.

On the seventh day, Pete wrote...

> Pentium III 733, Windows98SE, IE 6, Printer: HP Deskjet 970 Cxi, Netgear
> PCI Adapter FA311, ADSL Modem Alcatel Speed Touch 510
>
> ADSL works fine, and the printer also works fine when not printing online.

are you using an USB DSL modem? If yes, try to remove your printer drivers
completely and reinstall. If you're a little bit more advanced user you
could monitor the files that get installed with printer driver and modem
and change them one by one to see which one causes the troubles.

> We have already installed the latest driver for the hp deskjet 970 Cxi,
> but that didn't help. And as I said the printer works fine when we are
> not online. And Norton 2005 says there are no viruses.

why is it that all people having problems always have something from Norton
installed? :) *hint*

> Appreciate any information, thanx

I could imagine that either a driver overwrote an essential system file
with a version that causes the crashes or the DSL modem is simply
incompatible but without further investigation it remains pure speculation.

Only solution I can think of right now is to do a fresh installation of
Windows.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
> On the seventh day, Pete wrote...
>

>>Pentium III 733, Windows98SE, IE 6, Printer: HP Deskjet 970 Cxi, Netgear
>>PCI Adapter FA311, ADSL Modem Alcatel Speed Touch 510
>>
>>ADSL works fine, and the printer also works fine when not printing online.
>

> are you using an USB DSL modem? If yes, try to remove your printer drivers
> completely and reinstall. If you're a little bit more advanced user you
> could monitor the files that get installed with printer driver and modem
> and change them one by one to see which one causes the troubles.
>

>>We have already installed the latest driver for the hp deskjet 970 Cxi,
>>but that didn't help. And as I said the printer works fine when we are
>>not online. And Norton 2005 says there are no viruses.
>

> why is it that all people having problems always have something from Norton
> installed? :) *hint*
>

>>Appreciate any information, thanx
>

> I could imagine that either a driver overwrote an essential system file
> with a version that causes the crashes or the DSL modem is simply
> incompatible but without further investigation it remains pure speculation.
>
> Only solution I can think of right now is to do a fresh installation of
> Windows.

Ich danke für deine Hinweise und nehme an, dass wir auch in deutscher
Sprache weitermachen könnten. Aber für den Fall, dass die Sache jemanden
aus der großen weiten Welt interessiert, setze ich mit Englisch fort.
Danke und Grüße aus Salzburg.

I am not using a usb adsl modem. It's the ethernet alcatel speed touch
510. But the deskjet 970 cxi printer is connected to a usb port.

A friend just informed me that there is a known problem with win98se and
USB devices when you are online with ADSL (ethernet). So he advised me
to deinstall the printer and reinstall with parallel connection.

I'll let you know if it works.

On the seventh day, Pete wrote...

> Ich danke für deine Hinweise und nehme an, dass wir auch in deutscher
> Sprache weitermachen könnten. Aber für den Fall, dass die Sache jemanden
> aus der großen weiten Welt interessiert, setze ich mit Englisch fort.
> Danke und Grüße aus Salzburg.

well, of course :->

> I am not using a usb adsl modem. It's the ethernet alcatel speed touch
> 510. But the deskjet 970 cxi printer is connected to a usb port.
>
> A friend just informed me that there is a known problem with win98se and
> USB devices when you are online with ADSL (ethernet).

never heard of such a problem but since that's another option I think it
wouldn't hurt to just try out...

BTW: there are a bunch of PPPoE drivers out there (if that's what you're
using in Austria, not sure though)

> So he advised me
> to deinstall the printer and reinstall with parallel connection.
>
> I'll let you know if it works.

OK, good luck!

Christian Dürrhauer wrote:
> On the seventh day, Pete wrote...
>

>>Ich danke für deine Hinweise und nehme an, dass wir auch in deutscher
>>Sprache weitermachen könnten. Aber für den Fall, dass die Sache jemanden
>>aus der großen weiten Welt interessiert, setze ich mit Englisch fort.
>>Danke und Grüße aus Salzburg.
>

> well, of course :->
>
>>I am not using a usb adsl modem. It's the ethernet alcatel speed touch
>>510. But the deskjet 970 cxi printer is connected to a usb port.
>>
>>A friend just informed me that there is a known problem with win98se and
>>USB devices when you are online with ADSL (ethernet).
>

> never heard of such a problem but since that's another option I think it
> wouldn't hurt to just try out...
>
> BTW: there are a bunch of PPPoE drivers out there (if that's what you're
> using in Austria, not sure though)
>

>>So he advised me
>>to deinstall the printer and reinstall with parallel connection.
>>
>>I'll let you know if it works.
>

> OK, good luck!

Deinstalling the printer (usb) and reinstalling with parallel connection
did the trick. Everything is working fine.

"Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
> On the seventh day, Pete wrote...
>
> > Pentium III 733, Windows98SE, IE 6, Printer: HP Deskjet 970 Cxi, Netgear
> > PCI Adapter FA311, ADSL Modem Alcatel Speed Touch 510
> >
> > ADSL works fine, and the printer also works fine when not printing
online.

> are you using an USB DSL modem? If yes, try to remove your printer drivers
> completely and reinstall. If you're a little bit more advanced user you
> could monitor the files that get installed with printer driver and modem
> and change them one by one to see which one causes the troubles.
>
> > We have already installed the latest driver for the hp deskjet 970 Cxi,
> > but that didn't help. And as I said the printer works fine when we are
> > not online. And Norton 2005 says there are no viruses.
>
> why is it that all people having problems always have something from
Norton
> installed? :) *hint*
>
> > Appreciate any information, thanx
>
> I could imagine that either a driver overwrote an essential system file
> with a version that causes the crashes or the DSL modem is simply
> incompatible but without further investigation it remains pure
speculation.

> Only solution I can think of right now is to do a fresh installation of
> Windows.
>
> --
> mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
> Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>
> Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Hi,

As for Norton Internet Security and mixed WAN & LAN environment: I used to
have the same problem at home if I dared to switch on my USB ADSL modem
after the LAN switch. For some reason, the personal firewall would then
block most trafic to the LAN (probably assuming that it would be hostile, I
use fixed 10.x.x.x IP addresses for my LAN). I finally changed something in
advanced settings to allow the LAN to be trusted all the time and so far, no
more problems.

Good thing, as it turned out that printing over the network goes quite a bit
faster than over the parallel port.

I hope this helps,
Alvin.