A7V133 wont boot

G

Can anyone help please. I've put together a system that wont power up. The only sign of life is the motherboard LED so I assume power supply is OK (300w). I've check and re-checked connections. Board set to jumper free mode. I'm a first timer so not sure what to do now and how to identify the problem or faulty part. Is there a way of discovering if there's a faulty part without replacing each part ?

Last week someone else had a similar sounding problem which turned out to be a dead mobo, but does my mobo LED imply the mobo's alright ? Also tried booting with only processor/heatsink, memory and grahpics card but still no life.

A7V133, Duron 700, 128mb PC133 SDRAM, IBM 75GXP 30gb, 2mb PCI Graphics, 52x CD rom and Floppy Drive

Cheers
Rob

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
just a small tip (i dont have time to write something long) make sure the IDE cables for the hard drive aren't in backwards, your comp won't boot if thy are

-----------------
"All alone in his own little world"

rfh1234

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
Do you have the hard drive plugged into the ata100 ide slot, those are the blue and black ide slots on the left, blue primary, black secondary(by left I mean to the left of the floppy slot. If you do and that is your boot drive, go into bios and disable, under BOOT, #2 IDE Hard Drive. That way it will continue looking for the boot drive which will be #4 in the list. Let me know if that was it

G

Had a look. Missing pin in each mean they will only slot one way. AS for the colours, blue connector in mobo primary IDE slot and black to the HD - grey not being used as my CD Rom is in the mobo's seconday IDE connector. Should my HD and CD rom be sharing same IDE cable and primary connector as master and slave respectively ?

G

HD is in primary IDE slot with CD in secondary - both are set to master. Can I get into BIOS is PC wont boot ?

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I had this problem initially and it was because I had some of the wires to the power switch or front-panel LEDs on backward. You might try reversing them one by one. Don't screw around with the disks -- just disconnect all the IDE drives and the floppy drive, and see if you can get it to boot up into the BIOS. If you can, then add the floppy drive and see if you can boot to DOS, reverse the floppy cable if it doesn't see the floppy and/or you think you've got it backward. If you get that far, then you're ready to connect the IDE disks, I would recommend connecting them to the normal IDE chains whose connectors are located nearest the floppy connector, not to the Promise IDE connectors.

G

nah, as long as you've only got two drives, you should get better performance with the hard drive and CD Rom on separate cables.

G

Thanks to all those who put forward suggestions. I can now get system to boot, but only with the motherboard out of the case. I assume I'm grounding it when it's screwed into the case backplate. Gonna have to play around with this, but if anyone has any tips how to avoid the grounding of the mobo, I'd be grateful.
Thanks
Rob

G

Use little rubber washers behind the Mobo and on top of it when you screw it into the case. It might help.

<b><i><font color=purple> Whispers of Clay </font color=purple></b></i>

G

Thanks for the tip. I've got it going by using spacers between the screw (note the singular !!) and board and then more spacers between the board and back plate. I like the sound of the rubber spacers, especially if I can get ones about 0.5 cm which will position my board just about right.
Cheers, Rob