Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First New PC in Six Years! Need Games!

Last response: in Video Games
April 20, 2011 5:23:01 AM

That's right. I'm finally building a new PC. I love PC games, and I've missed out on so much because my PC simply wouldn't handle it!

So. Once my computer is up and built, I'm going to put about $100.00 into software, right off the bat, and I'm trying to decide what games I should get.

I've looked at Amazon.com's selection, and it seems they've got a bunch of great deals on 1-3 year old games. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

Borderlands - A must! This game looks too cool... I love shooters, love Diablo II... I'm getting this one!
Mass Effect 1 and 2 - I've heard so many good things about these games. Want to get 1 so I have the complete story!
Dead Space - Looks scary! And awesome! Not so jazzed about the DRM crap, but oh well...
Bad Company 2 - Love first person shooters w/ online play in them. Looks good, sounds like a ton of people still play.
Bioshock- Never had a chance to play it. My computer wouldn't quite handle this game... again, I'm not too happy about the DRM here...
Team Fortress 2- I already own it! Love it! But I haven't played in a few months now. It's just too infuriating getting 10 FPS in a tight spot...
Fallout 3 GOYT - Maybe? Heard good things, but I might be getting my fill of RPG shooter with Mass Effect and Borderlands
Portal 2 - Seems like it would put me over budget. Might wait for it to come down in price. But then, I might have to wait a while. Also, worried about replayability here. $50.00 seems like a lot for a game that I'm going to blow through in what... 10 hours?
Starcraft 2- Same as Portal. Still an expensive game, considering how long it's been out. But I guess that's Blizzard for you... Also, not a huge RTS fan.
Civilization 5 - Sounds amazing! Expensive...
Bulletstorm - Expensive. Looks fantastic.

So, Tomshardware community, what do you guys think? I'll be purchasing in a week or two...

More about : years games

April 20, 2011 6:29:40 AM

What type of games do you enjoy most?
Score
April 20, 2011 6:54:05 AM

Haha, I just realised I posted this on the UK forums! Well, awesome, nothing wrong with getting some advice from my friends overseas.

Well, I enjoy many types of games. Not really that big into the RTS games. I enjoyed Starcraft back in the day, Battle for Middle Earth, but I mainly played those because I was able to interact with others.

I enjoy RPG's. Diablo II holds a special place in my heart... However, a game that I'm going to be playing by myself really has to have a good storyline for me to enjoy it. Loved Final Fantasy viii, ix, x, and chrono-trigger. If only they'd port those final fantasy games over to PC... I really wish they would!

I like first person shooters. Loved battlefield 2. Until recently, I was enjoying the heck out of team fortress 2. I really enjoy the multiplayer aspect of tf2, especially those hours-long 2fort matches with people I knew. Also, I thought Prey was fantastic.

Finally, there's the old lucasarts games. Not sure what happened to this style game... maybe it wasn't popular enough, or maybe they've been integrated into games such as Mass Effect 1 and 2- I wouldn't know... Used to love games like, "The Dig", "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis", and "Full Throttle". Old, yes, terrible graphics (they're 2d!), but man were those games great. Actually, I've got a couple of those games now through Steam.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

April 20, 2011 7:08:06 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I think the forums are worldwide.
I've not long come off Final Fantasy 9, been playing it on my PS3. If you like good storylines in RPG's Dragon Age: Origins is a good game and can be bought for cheap, its a little more mature then most RPGs though.

Personally I always like to have a few pounds spare in the bank because you never know when Steams going to have a sale on.

There was an offer on, if you buy Dragon Age 2 and register the "Online pass" before 30th April you get Mass effect 2 for free. Its a 10GB download though so you need to make sure you a large download limit. Google it to find out more about it. It worked for me though which is a nice bonus.
April 20, 2011 7:15:34 AM

Quote:
Personally I always like to have a few pounds spare in the bank because you never know when Steams going to have a sale on.

Yeah! You know, I've noticed that. I missed Borderlands the other day, their "game of the year" edition was 75% off... so angry i missed it!

And I'll have to check out dragon age. The first one is good, eh?
Score
April 20, 2011 7:17:37 AM

Yes I like it, there's a demo available for the second one if you wanted to try it.
Score
April 20, 2011 5:38:46 PM

Buy them from Steam. Most of those games have been discounted on there. Civ 5 I bought for 75% off. BC2 I bought for 50% off. Bioshock 1 and 2 were on sale for 75% off.
Score
April 21, 2011 4:33:19 PM

sometimes the older games are more playable than the newer games. if you don't mind a few oldies listed then here are some favorites of mine:

fps:
unreal tournament 2003 (hands down best non-realistic fps)
unreal tournament III (better graphics, gameplay isn't the same though)
aliens vs predators II (old game but still a top notch thriller)

rpg:
guild wars. (free to play mmo, decent graphics, quick learning curve)
dungeon siege III (coming soon!)
diablo III (coming soon!)

strategy:
supreme commander (a few years old but great game)
Score
April 22, 2011 2:28:46 AM

i recommend you jump on steam rather than going to amazon, you will be able to get bundles of games for $100 virtually everything on steam is on offer atm with some as much as 75% off. give it a look you wont be disappointed.
Score
May 2, 2011 2:47:26 AM

Best answer selected by traviskane.
Score
May 2, 2011 2:49:03 AM

Well. I ended up getting WoW, Bad Company 2, and Dead Space. I'll be taking your guys' advice and watching Steam for any specials that pop up. I MIGHT just get the retail copy of borderlands... been wanting to play that for so damn long, I'm not sure I can wait for it to come on sale again.

Thanks for the info guys!
Score
May 2, 2011 2:59:45 AM

Here are some games I play.. love them all. I can play all of them on the highest settings with great fps using my cheap budget gaming pc that I built so I'm sure you'll be able to play them on the highest settings as well if you're building your own pc.

My specs..

Windows 7 64bit
8gb ddr3 gskill ram
asus geforce gts 450 1gb ddr5 gpu
athlon II quad-core 3.1ghz cpu
1tb harddrive
600w psu

World of Warcraft
Oblivion Game of the Year
Fallout 3 Game of the Year (beware though some users including myself have issues with this and Windows 7, I have beat it but it freezes randomly.. sometimes 5 minutes into gameplay sometimes not at all and I can play for hours)
Fallout New Vegas
Bioshock 1 and 2
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Crysis 1 and 2
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Dirt 2 (suggest a xbox 360 controller for this, on amazon there is a 29.99 black 360 wired controller which works perfectly with windows 7)
Dead Space 1 and 2
Starcraft 2

and some others... yeah i play too many games lol.
Score
May 2, 2011 3:06:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!