Straight scoop on VX4500 ringtones

I'm not a Verizon subscriber - yet. I'm considering switching to Verizon, but I
can't get a straight answer about downloading ringtones to the LG VX4500 phone.

One Verizon rep said you could only use Verizon's ringtones, and they had to be
downloaded over the air. He said you could NOT download ringtones through the
USB cable - that cable was only for games, programs and wallpaper.

Another Verizon rep said you could use a USB cable, but that only
'Verizon-approved' ringtones could be used. She explained that the ringtone had
to be in a 'CMX MIDI' format.

And yet another version came from a company that makes software that supposedly
lets you download any MIDI ringtone to the VX4500 via USB cable.

Are there some VX4500 users on this newsgroup who can set a confused person
straight?

Thanks,
DN

"DN" <dmnospam@attbi.com> wrote in message
> I'm not a Verizon subscriber - yet. I'm considering switching to Verizon,
> but I
> can't get a straight answer about downloading ringtones to the LG VX4500
> phone.

You can use the open source free program BitPim with that phone. Here's a
link to the page that tells what phones Bitpim works with (so far, they are
adding more all the time). You will also need a USB cable, which is covered
in another message in this thread.

http://www.bitpim.org/testhelp/

DN wrote:
> I'm not a Verizon subscriber - yet. I'm considering switching to Verizon, but I
> can't get a straight answer about downloading ringtones to the LG VX4500 phone.
>
> One Verizon rep said you could only use Verizon's ringtones, and they had to be
> downloaded over the air. He said you could NOT download ringtones through the
> USB cable - that cable was only for games, programs and wallpaper.
>
> Another Verizon rep said you could use a USB cable, but that only
> 'Verizon-approved' ringtones could be used. She explained that the ringtone had
> to be in a 'CMX MIDI' format.
>
> And yet another version came from a company that makes software that supposedly
> lets you download any MIDI ringtone to the VX4500 via USB cable.
>
> Are there some VX4500 users on this newsgroup who can set a confused person
> straight?
>
> Thanks,
> DN
I have downloaded MIDI files as ringtones to my VX4500.
ANY midi seems to work fine.

Use Bitpim: http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/
free software and the radioShack 17-792 cable ($21).
Bitpim will also allow you to load phone numbers and wallpaer>