900mhz Athlon on A7V

G

I'm really new at this so please bare with me. i just bought a 900mhz Athlon Tbird and an Asus A7V (VIA KT133) and need to know what I'm supposed to set the clock multiplier, FSB freq, and vcore to. (without overclocking).

Also, if I do decide to overclock, what steps would I have to take? Do I have to do that pencil trick? Also what settings would I use then for best stability and performance? This is my first time doing any of this so I would appreciate a step by step (and hopefully simple) process. Thanks!

G

Set the m/board to jumper free mode( this is the default i think) all setting will be automatic. plug and pray

==================================>>
If all else fails then you read the instructions !!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The jumper free mode is pretty simple and works well on the A7V. It allows core voltage & FSB speed to be set in the BIOS, but you have to set up the board in the jumper free mode. Check the manual. There is basically one jumper low on the board that puts it in jumper free mode and then set the jumpers and dip switches to the neutral position as indicated.

To overclock, you can get some by increasing the FSB speed, but not much. The pencil trick is necessary for any real gains. By carefully closing the L1 bridges, you can then set the multiplier. The multiplier setting is only by dip switches on the A7V, so once you unlock the processor, you have to set these switches for whatever multiplier you want to try.

Good Luck!

Scout

G

thanks for the advice. any recommendations on what a good setting would be? I'm not that power hungry so I would like something stable.

Also, for the pencil trick, does any ordinary pencil work?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
For assured stability, you'll find 900 mhz to be plenty for almost anything you might run. If you want to overclock, I have my 900 on an A7V running for weeks on end at ~1050 mhz and 1.80 V at 30 to 45 C absolutely rock stable. 1.1 Ghz is attainable, but it crashes occasionally, so I just decide not to push it. You'll probably find the same upper limits as it seems to be a limit of the aluminum core stepping that the 900s are manufactured on.

Technically, any old pencil will do, but you'll find it much easier if you get one of the mechanical pencils. The lead is much thinner and stays sharp, making it easier to connect the fine bridges. Ultimately, the best way to connect the bridges is with either a conductive pen, or with a defogger repair kit (as in the little lines on the back windows of cars).

Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree.