Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Half Life 2 crashes with recommended system requirments

Last response: in Video Games
April 20, 2011 5:28:03 PM

Hello,I am new here but my question is old,but all of the answers on them were disappointing.I have 2 gb ddr2 ram,intel pentinum e5200 dual core 2.53 ghz cpu and an 256 mb(its may be 128 mb too,i have seen them both in BIOS,but for lack of knowledge,i can't understand what it is) inbuilt INTEL G31 Express Chipsets video card,all meet Half Life 2 recommendation ,in spite of that it crashes in every autosave.I have seen lots of forums advising to add "forcehardwaresync 0"(without quotes) in the target area of the game after the default target name.But It just rumour,it never works.If I upgrade my gpu to 9800gt ddr3 or 4670 hd ddr3 will it be right?REPLY,I WILL BE THANKFUL TO YOU FOREVER.

Best solution

April 20, 2011 6:37:59 PM

adding a gfx card wont hurt. as long as your psu is up to it. you will need a minimum of 450watts for a 98gt.

also your intel gfx is in no way near minimum spec, yes the required specs are low and you may be able to get the game installed but the chances are if your using shared ram its causing corruption.
other than that, check the admintools/eventviewer in the control panel.
April 21, 2011 6:44:05 AM

Best answer selected by abar92.
Related resources
April 21, 2011 6:47:35 AM

HEXiT said:
adding a gfx card wont hurt. as long as your psu is up to it. you will need a minimum of 450watts for a 98gt.

also your intel gfx is in no way near minimum spec, yes the required specs are low and you may be able to get the game installed but the chances are if your using shared ram its causing corruption.
other than that, check the admintools/eventviewer in the control panel.

your answer is helpful,though i wil say that my pc meets the req,cause my gpu is at least 128 mb what HL2 need(i am talking about original hl2,not any episode like hl2 ep 1,hl2 ep 2 etc)
April 21, 2011 2:26:00 PM

theres very little difference in requirements as they all use the same source engine, but a basic dedicated gfx card is a given. if your not a gamer i recommend a minimum of a 9600gt or a gs220.

your onboard gpu uses system memory which compared to proper gfx memory is slow. also what is probably happening is because its shared ram it could be getting paged to the pagefile and this is what is causing your saves to be corrupted.

its not just the memory you have to take into account its the raw processing power of the gfx also, the inbult gfx has 1 purpose and thats multimedia. its not designed for games expecialy the intel based igp's yes you will often be able to get games to run but you will be asking more of the igp than its designed for and your games will show that, by running slow, crashing to the desktop, faulting errors in sound and other onscreen problems.

no m8 as long as you game has installed properly it will work properly with a gfx card. but running off onboard will just cause probelms.
!