Mobo Recommendation needed

Nano

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
I am about to build my first PC. My primary purpose is to use it for digital video editing and games as a secondary purpose. my original choice for a MoBo was ASUS A7m266 ATX with 1.33ghz athlon and 256mb to 512mb DDR pc2100 mem. My concern is from posts on this forum is the ASUS A7m is not overclockable or at least it is difficult to do so. Second I have heard ASUS tech support is basically non-existent. Any thoughts or comments on an alternative MoBO which has excellent support and can compete with ASUS A7M would be appreciated.

ws6

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have 2 msi k7t 266 pro mb and they seem to work good. they bios on them is a early version and a am having a little bit of trouble with one of them using on onboard raid with a scsi card and a ata-100 card all at the same time. the original k7t turbo also had this problem but was fixed in the first bios release so i am thinking that they will do the same for the 266 pro. also on the oc side i can only select up to a 1.7 volt for the duron and 1.8 for a tbird (again the original k7t turbo bios did the same thing and was fixed asap). so other than those 2 things it runs good. btw i got a 256 pc-2100 crucial stick and clocked it a 133 ddr fsb at cas 2 and runs fine. right now i have it running at 143 ddr and still fully stable at cas 2.

-----------
Chris
ws6@kc.rr.com

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I also have the K7T266 Pro, but w/o the RAID. I had some trouble at first because I installed the 4 in 1 drivers and I use a PCI graphics card, untill new one arives. But that is all fixed for now hehe. I also run PC2100 from Crucial, I have 512MB and run it at CAS 2/ and of course 133FSB. Hey does your board have the onboard audio jumper taken off? I have to use the BIOS. And also once I get the AGP card how do I reinstall the 4 in 1 drivers, it said always install them before the AC97 drivers. Well I needed sound so I installed the 4 in 1, all but the AGP VxD part, and then the AC97. So do I just uninstall the AC97, then reinstall the 4 in 1 and then disable the AC97 since im going to use a SB card?

"It Works!"

G

If you are going with an AMD processor and if you are in a big hurry, I would suggest going with the Abit KT7A or KT7A-Raid MOBO. Check out the reviews and do the comparisons, you'll find you won't be wasting your money on this board. If you have time, wait for the release of the KG7 by Abit. It is a DDR board.

PUDS

G

I have the ASUStek A7M266 and the ddr memory gains a 10% to 20% differnce, if you have a fast enough processor it won't do much, it will only show up in numbers, for example I was pumping out 600 frames/second(TnT2 ultra) compared to 529 on the same system witout DDR

G

i looked up some mobo for you and the epox 8kta2+ seems like a good one, if you can't get that one get the asus a7v133

Nano

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2001
what is the advantage of the KT version from
ASUS going to have over the A7M board? The A7M board uses DDR currently.

G

Well, for performace Asus is the best. I would go in a new PC w/DDR go with the A7M266. Now as far as the A7A266 goes, I can't recommend ALi's MAGiK chipset. It has serious latency problems when running at 100MHz FSB. I say go with A7M266 unless you have to have the Multiplier adujustments. but also though A7a doesn't have the Multiplier adujustments either. Hope this helps