bios settings?help?

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
i am building a new system: 1.2 athlon-c, A7M266mobo. I was wondering if anyone can answer a few bios settings questions for me?

1: should i set the PnP O/S to yes or no?( OS will be win me)

2: Should I install the via 4 in 1 drivers which are on the included software disk upon installing the motherboard?

3: Should I leave the AGP graphics aperture at its default 64mb or should i boost it up to 128 or something(using the ledtek winfast geforce2ultra 64mb card)?

4: should i set the the primary vga bios setting to agp card or leave at the default setting of pci card? (will not have a pci graphics card installed)

Any help would be very appreciated. this is my first built system and am a little unsure as to a few details. thanks in advance for any assistance.

4:

G

1: no for PnP O/S. the BIOS tends to do a better job in my experience.

2: yes and no. you do need the 4 in 1 for stability but you want the latest version (currently 4.29) which probably is not on the disk. you do want them to be one of the first things you install though so if you won't be hooking the computer up to the internet to download the latest version until after you install a lot of stuff, then put the old version on temporarily.

3: never heard of anyone setting this to anything but the size of their video card's memory. so 64mb for you unless someone else pipes in with more info.

4: agp. this one should be obvious.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I read a technical article on the AGP Aperture setting, which states that it should be half the size of the physical amount of memory installed on the M/B.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men