Hi,

I have this little problem with my setup:

Asus A7v133 (kt133a)
1.3ghz athlon
128Mhz(pc133, original)
300W power supply
Elsa geforce 2 ultra
and so on...

When i try to play something, eg: counterstrike, q3, giants.. on this setup, it performs really bad. Its really lagging (20 fps) or something..
I dont know what the problem can be but i have updated every driver in my system to the latest. I have also checked the bios versions on www.asus.com and none of the descriptions of the bioses seams to be related to my kind of problem.

Is there someone who knows what the problem might be?

Also there is a possibility to change speed on both memory and cpu in the bios. Now i have the cou running at 100mhz and the memory at 133mhz. Shall or can i change the cpu speed up to 133??

Happy for any answers/suggestions

//Ronsta

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
What OS are you running?
Have you updated the BIOS to 1004?
Have you installed the updated VIA 4in1 drivers?
Have you switched on DMA for your hard drives (from the device manager, look for IDE controllers and bring up the properties dialog window)?
What slot is your sound card in (slot 3 recommended)?
Are all your devices, especially the vid card and sound card, using separate IRQs?
If not, have you tried manually assigning IRQs at the BIOS level while disabling the "plug-and-play" OS?
Lastly, re. 133 FSB, is your CPU a B-type (sounds like it) or a C-type (if not a C-type, you would be overclocking to run at 133)?

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
What OS are you running?
Have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers?
Have you enabled DMA for your IDE drives (from device manager, look for the Primary and Secondary IDE controllers, then bring up the properties windows)?
What slot is your sound card in (slot 3 recommended)?
Are any of your devices, especially the sound and video cards, sharing IRQs with other devices?
Have you tried disabling "plug-and-play OS" in the BIOS and manually assigning IRQs?
Have you updated the BIOS to 1004?
Lastly, re. the CPU FSB, do you have a B-type or C-type Athlon (sounds like you have a B-type, default multiplier would be 13x, but if you have a C-type the default multiplier would be 10x for 1.3 GHz)? If you have a B-type, you could overclock the FSB to 133 as long as you lower the multiplier to 10x, but I don't think this is the source of your problems.

G

Hi again,

Im running win98se
Yes i have installed the latest 4-in-1 (4.28)
Dma is enabled
Soundcard is in slot 2
Nothing is sharing irq with nothing =)
Plug and play os has never been enabled in the bios
The bios is not updated to 1004, its now 1003

i dont know wich type of 1.3ghz i have, sorry. =)

Ok, so i just might update my bios then...?

//Ronsta

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ronsta on 04/09/01 11:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
The BIOS update is unlikely to cure your problem. Also the CPU speed is unlikely to be the issue, either, since even at 200MHZ FSB the CPU should be way faster than needed to run games well.

The critical things are to get the 4-in-1 installed (I'm on 4.29 but I've heard 4.28 is good) and get DMA turned on. The other critical thing is to get the IRQs separated. Are your disks on the main IDE controller(s), or are they on the promise controller (which shares a hardware interrupt with slot 2)? Also is there anything in slot 1? If so then with the sound card in slot 2 you are guaranteed to share one hardware interrupt with one of the two cards in slots 1 and 2 because INT-A and INT-B are wired to the AGP card. You might get better luck moving the sound card to slot 3 and leaving slot 1 open if it's not already.

G

I've had 2 different Geforce cards and until I got the right VIA driver, video card driver combination video performance wasn't good at all. Currently I've got an Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2 32meg with the 4.29 via drivers and the 7.52 drivers and it runs great. I'm running win2k though. Good luck!

G

Thanx guys for your suggestions, ill try to move the cards tonight =)

Wich drivers are you reffering to when you say 7.52?

//Ronsta

G

hm... i moved the soundcard but that didnt help either...
Im planning on throwing my setup into the wall...