Laserjet II "printer open" error code

We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.

Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front panel
and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few seconds
the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time can
the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on the
cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.

I took the DC Power supply (RGI-1394 (02)) apart and checked the
microswitch-OK.

I do not have +24V between pins 1 and 14 on J212.

I do have 169V on the large electrolytic capacitor which must mean there is
rectified mains voltage ready for use by the switchmode circuit.

This is as far as I wanted to go without a circuit diagram.

Can anyone suggest where I might find a service manual with schematics or
just a DC power supply schematic?

John Knowles
Montreal
2 answers Last reply
More about laserjet printer open error code

    IS it a LJ II or LJ IIP?
    Dewaine

    John Knowles wrote:

    > We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.
    >
    > Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front panel
    > and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few seconds
    > the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time can
    > the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
    > microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on the
    > cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.
    >
    > I took the DC Power supply (RGI-1394 (02)) apart and checked the
    > microswitch-OK.
    >
    > I do not have +24V between pins 1 and 14 on J212.
    >
    > I do have 169V on the large electrolytic capacitor which must mean there is
    > rectified mains voltage ready for use by the switchmode circuit.
    >
    > This is as far as I wanted to go without a circuit diagram.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest where I might find a service manual with schematics or
    > just a DC power supply schematic?
    >
    > John Knowles
    > Montreal

    It's a II and not a IIP and now has a functioning 24V supply. I removed the
    PC board and found a crack in the board caused, I think, by rough handling.
    There were several broken traces which I repaired. All I need now is a new
    separator pad!

    Thanks for reponding

    "Dewaine Chan" <"dchanNOSPAM"@NOSPAM PLZZZnc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > IS it a LJ II or LJ IIP?
    > Dewaine
    >
    > John Knowles wrote:
    >
    > > We have a Laserjet II which we would like to maintain.
    > >
    > > Whwen turned on with no PC connected the lights come on on the front
    panel
    > > and the display says the printer is doing a self check. After a few
    seconds
    > > the lights go out and the display reads "12 printer open". At no time
    can
    > > the fans or motors be heard. I tried opening the top, depressing the
    > > microswitch which is normally activated by the longish plastic tab on
    the
    > > cover, and powering on. I do not see a fuser lamp glow when I do this.
    > >
    > > I took the DC Power supply (RGI-1394 (02)) apart and checked the
    > > microswitch-OK.
    > >
    > > I do not have +24V between pins 1 and 14 on J212.
    > >
    > > I do have 169V on the large electrolytic capacitor which must mean there
    is
    > > rectified mains voltage ready for use by the switchmode circuit.
    > >
    > > This is as far as I wanted to go without a circuit diagram.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest where I might find a service manual with schematics
    or
    > > just a DC power supply schematic?
    > >
    > > John Knowles
    > > Montreal

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Printers Computers