WGT624 V2 can't use 'default' as SSID?

Hi,

I fully understand the security risks of doing this but I have a hacked
Tivo that is currently set to associate with default. Until I can
figure out how to change the tivo, I would like the wGT624 to use
"default" as its SSID. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work.
Whenever I enter "default", the router replaces it with the word
"netgear" followed by random symbols.
Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks,

--Al

Have you scanned for wireless networks with non-Netgear equipment? I've had
problems with Netgear wireless nics doing what you are saying - come to find
out it's not the router, it's the nic or the software being used with the
nic that is changing the APs name. Plugged in my linksys or generic
el-cheapo nic, and they both showed the correct AP name. Only the Netgear
nic was munging the APs name.