Tegra 2 Google Chrome Tablet Launching Nov. 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

WTF is the point of Chrome OS. Where does it fit between Android tablets and Windows 7 Tablets?

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
If it's near to be free with maybe 1 year contract with Verizon, great. I'm guessing 2-3 years at $30 or more per month, not so great.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]WTF is the point of Chrome OS. Where does it fit between Android tablets and Windows 7 Tablets?[/citation]

Google seems to think that it's a better solution for tablets... we'll see if they're right. Anyway, why are you upset over more choices?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
That sounds pretty awesome... if it were running a heavily customized version Android 3.0 and gets 9+ hours of battery life.

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
So I read the article on Download squad...

You kind of make it sound like those are the specs, when really those specs are just a pure guess by the DLS author... and the min 32gb ssd? did you make that one up, cause even the specs the DLS guy made up didn't say that.

Not trying to nit pic here, but I respect Tom's and never really read the source material, but after reading this one it makes me wonder about the rest of the info I am hearing from you guys.

If those were the specs tho it would be great.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The source does mention the 32gb ssd. Still, it says it's pure guess and here Tom's says it's fact.
Looks like Jane did a quick scan of the article with her eyes and missed the warnings of the site :p

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
HTC = Quality. Google = innovation.

I've been a fan of HTC phones for a long time, I've purchased 3. I love Android. HTC + Google = a good combination, I have faith that Chrome OS will show up to the party in a good way.

Edit: Website ate half my post >.>

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]WTF is the point of Chrome OS. Where does it fit between Android tablets and Windows 7 Tablets?[/citation]
I'm guessing it'll be a more desktop like experience than offered by android, with the ability to print documents etc.

HTC's great hardware + Google's great software = One awesome device

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i think the problem with all non apple tablets is having an operating system that is robust, but also efficient and easy to navigate. windows7 would still be too clunky. too many people arent familiar with linux. android is great, but it just isnt beefy enough. i think that is where chrome comes in. if google does this right they can out play apple and you can bet they will flood the market with these puppies.

wonder if the network can hold it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ktasley[/nom]So I read the article on Download squad...You kind of make it sound like those are the specs, when really those specs are just a pure guess by the DLS author... and the min 32gb ssd? did you make that one up, cause even the specs the DLS guy made up didn't say that.Not trying to nit pic here, but I respect Tom's and never really read the source material, but after reading this one it makes me wonder about the rest of the info I am hearing from you guys.If those were the specs tho it would be great.[/citation]

Sorry, I thought I made it clear. All fixed! :)

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
whene will i be able to buy a real tablet..:( not a overblown phone but a full fledged laptop in tablet form witha optical drive and a 320 gb HDD.
So that i can use it like a laptop :(

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]with the ability to print documents[/citation]
So it will allow me to install my printer?
I just went to Canon website to look for drivers and guess what?
Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix & O/S 400
Guess what, almost every other printer company is the same.

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/google-chrome-os-will-revolutionize-how-printer-drivers-are-handled-but-not-in-2010-2009122/

They promise a “wonderful printing solution” up their sleeves, they say it is "long tail" and “If printer support is important to you, Chrome OS is not the OS for you in 2010”

What I read from this is that Chrome has no printer support and have no idea how to fix it yet but are stringing people along. If you want printer support, get a tablet with a mainstream OS. Seeing as Apple has screwed its fanbase by denying them OSX that means choosing a Windows or Linux tablet.

G

What is this crappy "article"? This is nothing but wishful thinking, and has probably *nothing* to do with reality...

"It may have this and that, super display, be super fast, have 2 months battery life, and yeah - it will also be free!"

Come on Tom's HW - why are you even reporting this junk? It will only make people disappointed when the real products arrive...

I look forward to non-Apple tablets but preferably with a Win7 tablet or Android, not a big on the idea of Chrome OS given that it's solely web based. Love the Chrome browser though!

Even if it was running Android it would have to be basically free with only a $10-$15/month data plan at most or I wouldn't consider it either.
+1! totally agree!

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
and actually black friday is only the 2nd or third busiest shopping day of the year. the day before christmas and the day after normally beat it.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Heh, hopefully this will get everyone's ass in gear for tablets this Christmas.

I want a tablet, but there needs to be more choice in product offerings.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Subsidized? Verizon 3g? Gimmie a frackin break already. If I picked up a tablet it would be for home use and wifi only spots. Dont force me into a wireless carrier data plan. Hell that cuts into your own smart phone market for chrissakes!!!!!!!

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I just dont understand these tablets. You cant print from them, scan to them, or even use a wireless usb mouse for that matter. You can surf the net (just not flash). I dont understand paying more for something a netbook can do quicker, and better. I understand a touch screen smartphone. It has a use. Its a phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.