Sign in with
Your question

New to gaming. Need game suggestion on new build!

Last response: in Video Games
April 23, 2011 2:02:48 AM

So, I just finished building my first computer capable of gaming (I hope).

I want to buy a game or two to see what this machine is capable of. Any suggestions? Crysis 1? I'd like to get some first person shooters but I'm getting conflicting reviews on lots of the games out there. It's very confusing.

Case: HAF X
CPU: i7 2600K
Mother Board: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
RAM: Kingston 8 gig
GPU:MSI R6950 Twin FROZR III Power Edition
PSU: Corsair AX750
HD: my old WD 1.5TB 7200RPM

I'll be buying a SSD soon, probably the Intel 320, 160GB

Again, I'm new to this and hopefully didn't mess up my choices.

April 23, 2011 2:06:48 AM

Oops, I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.
m
l
April 23, 2011 3:26:11 AM

thegryphon said:
So, I just finished building my first computer capable of gaming (I hope).

I want to buy a game or two to see what this machine is capable of. Any suggestions? Crysis 1? I'd like to get some first person shooters but I'm getting conflicting reviews on lots of the games out there. It's very confusing.

Case: HAF X
CPU: i7 2600K
Mother Board: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
RAM: Kingston 8 gig
GPU:MSI R6950 Twin FROZR III Power Edition
PSU: Corsair AX750
HD: my old WD 1.5TB 7200RPM

I'll be buying a SSD soon, probably the Intel 320, 160GB

Again, I'm new to this and hopefully didn't mess up my choices.

Thats a nice rig! You should be able to get 60+ FPS at the highest settings on almost every game out there (With the exception of games like Crysis, Metro 2033 and Alien vs. Predator, but those would still see 30+ FPS without any problems). Crysis is a good game to see what your machine is capable of. Other than Metro 2033 it's one of the demanding games on the market. Just out of curiosity, what's your monitors resolution? If your only playing on a 19" or a 22" at 1440x900 or 1680x1050, that will increase your performance as well (versus 1920x1080 of course). Anyway, thats a really nice build and I think the 6950 is capable or being unlocked to a 6970 if you ever needed the extra power!
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2011 7:51:08 AM

your rite a bios flash will work on reference cards as they have the ability to dual bios.
there is a problem with that though. the ram is cheaper on the 6950 so is prone to producing more heat when the card is switched into 6970 mode. you can of course turn down the clocks slightly with apps like the msi afterburner. you can also turn down the volts if you need to, but then its pointless flashing it if your gonna do that.

so if you do get the 6950 and flash it then also consider better 3rd party cooling like the arctic cool xtreme (if it fits)...

over all your rig is a nice jumping off point for gaming and i see you went for the better 2600k which will give your machine versatility that the 2500k cant match because of the hyper threading. so sitback and enjoy...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 23, 2011 7:07:43 PM

Save yourself the money, ditch the 2600k and buy the 2500k, then ditch the 6950 and buy the 6970 with the cash you have saved or alternatively buy the Asus GTX570 Direct CUII.
m
l
April 23, 2011 10:35:47 PM

Already own it all.

I will use hyper threading with various software I use.
I needed Eyefinity to run the 5 monitors I use for work, the NVIDIA cards just didn't have the same output options.

I'm not a gamer. I just wanted to buy a game or 2 or 3 to try out on this new build.

As for flashing, overclocking, extra cooling, etc. it wasn't what I wanted to get into.

I bought a non-reference already factory overclocked MSI card that got decent reviews. I could have saved money, but honestly I liked what I was reading about the MSI and didn't intend to flash a BIOS, etc. I didn't really care too much about getting the most frame rates for the money.

I wanted to "run cool" and have longevity with this build. It seems that MSI uses some pretty good components on their cards.

I'm sure there's faster, cheaper builds. I just went with what I could research relatively quickly. It's a non-reference card so cannot be flashed.....I wouldn't flash a BIOS anyways, not my thing.

Thanks everyone.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 24, 2011 2:43:30 AM

like i said not a bad build. the part about cooling was for the other poster.
its nice to see that not every 1 picks the cheapest parts as not every 1 is so focused on games. it will make a difference when it needs to and when it doesn't it will compete competently and be slightly better in some games than the cheaper 2500k.

m
l
April 25, 2011 6:32:47 AM

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
BioShock 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Metro 2033
.....etc
m
l
!