Does win XP make AGP card run hotter than win 98?

FScheltens

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Hi all, I have a PC with MSI 6547 (version 1) mobo with a Via 961 chipset, Club3D ATI 9700 graphics card and a Pentium 2 GHz processor. This is powered by a 350 W powersupply. Now under windows 98 this runs fine, however under windows XP i always get a black screen after a while, followed by a message saying something like: Windows had to reset your screen because the graphics driver stopped responding. So my question is this: Does Windows Xp cause my graphics card to run hotter than under windows 98, or is there something else wrong here, like an inadequate powersupply.
(FYI: i have tried a number of different ATI-drivers, agp-port drivers, and they ALL had exactly the same problem.)
If any1 has had a problem similar to this, please let me know. I would very much like to switch from windows 98 to windows xp, but this problem is keeping me from doing so.
(I had a small fan occupying a slot next to my graphics card, but it quickly became noisy, so i threw it out.)

Very much obliged,
F. Scheltens, Holland.

FScheltens

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Im using the latest ATI drivers and AGP drivers that i could find (including the ati driver from last month). Like i said: It didn't help. So far every driver has had the same problem.
This is really annoying, as it sometimes also causes my screen to go black completely, pc freezes ect.

FScheltens

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
ok just in case you guys missed it in my first post: this problem only happens under windows XP and NOT under windows 98. And i would like to know why. If you dont know, please save the no-brainers like "It could be dying". READ the problem before offering up solutions.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Hmmm... I'm kind of afraid to say anything here for fear of you verbally acosting me for being stupid or waisting your time, but...
Since Win98 and XP handle AGP differently is it possible that you might have some BIOS settings (like AGP BIOS Shadowing and fast writes, AGP Gate settings, etc...) set in XP when they should not be?

he says cowering in the corner, afraid to look up...<font color=red><b>Then he spys Ned_F standing in the doorway, knuckles reddining as his fists lock around the axe handle....</font color=red></b>

Also, update the BIOS. You'd be amazed at some of the problems a simple BIOS update can fix. Also, when you say AGP driver, do you mean JUST the AGP driver or do you mean the VIA 4in1 driver? What version of Catalyst are you using?

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Alright, the worm turns. I visited the MSI site and I found 5 separate offerings for the MS-6547 (I found no reference to an MSI-6547) none of which seem to support the Via Chipset you mentioned. They support:
- SiS® 645DX (702 BGA)
- SiS® 645 Chipset. (North-Bridge 702 BGA)
- SIS® 645 Open Architecture DDR333 Chipset
- SiS® 961B (371BGA) Chipset
There are several BIOS upgrades for all those offerings and as suggested before, by Zoron, you might want to review that possible modification before attempting any others. It seems the most logical choice.
If you are using some MSI offered mobo that isn't listed in their product offerings this may be bad advice. I did some checking on the international web for MSI and found all the same listings for the most part.
I know you are just starting here. I'm pretty new too. Please try to be accurate and specific when posting. It would help greatly.

<font color=red><b>palmerg is speechless as Ned_F charges the room... two bounds and the axe is raised over head to achieve its full potential energy...the victim had no chance only a second to view his horrible demise and wonder if things would be different had he thought before he spoke...</b></font color=red>

Yeah, real funny.

ok just in case you guys missed it in my first post: this problem only happens under windows XP and NOT under windows 98. And i would like to know why. If you dont know, please save the no-brainers like "It could be dying". READ the problem before offering up solutions.

Why should anyone have to put up with THAT kind of attitude. If he doesn't agree with the replies then I suggest he take his PC to a shop - but they CHARGE for their technical help don't they?

The least he can do is show his peers a little respect for the free service we offer.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I have to agree with Ned_F here. No poster can or should dictate that responses he/she receives have to be to their liking. The peeps here can offer advice and opinions they see fit without having to meet some rigorous inspection.
The fact is that this poster didn't even list his equipment properly, at least it appears so. Nobody lashed out at him for that. But it shows that he shouldn't be so intolerant of the opinions of others,
Besides Ned_F's post is in the realm of reality and is a valid comment.

FScheltens

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
With the MSI mobo, I had the latest bios, and it didnt solve the problem. I had disabled fastwrites, but it didn't make a difference. Of course, the whole question is academic now.
I got so fed up with the whole problem that i bought a new mobo (asus with pentium 865 chipset) this weekend, and it runs perfectly under windows xp.
Thanks a lot for the advice given here. Even mr. Flanders. I wont update the bios on this mobo though, unless i get a problem with it that needs to be fixed.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fscheltens on 03/17/05 06:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
Glad ya got it fixed, sounds like it was a chipset driver needing updated for XP.
mr. Flanders, heh heh!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Didn't you mean, 'The only side!' ?

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>