need help with motherboard, please.

trusnoop

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2001
I have an HP Pavilion 8655c computer. P 600/133, 192 Meg ram, no AGP! I am running Phoenix bios so I cant find the manufacturer of the mother board. I'm trying to find the board manufacturer so that I can buy a board from the same company but with an AGP.

Does any one know who the manufacturer of this board is?

Also, my cpu frequency multiplier is at 2X. What does that mean.

I didnt change it, but can I increase it safely?

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Multiplier is locked, so it doesn't matter what the BIOS setting is; set it to 4.5 for the sake of consistency.

SiSoft Sandra will give you the mainboard specs. It's free, go to zdnet for download.

Why not upgrade to a BX or i815 mainboard from Asus, Abit, or MSI? In your case, I would go with the MSI BXMaster if Slot 1, the Abit BXRAID133/ Asus CUBX if it's a flipchip.

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOur motherboard was made for HP by Asus, and is different from retail vesions in that it has the overclock stuf removed and has HP bios. If it is Socket 370, I suggest using the Asus CUSL2 series (CUSL2-M if you only have for expansion slots in the case). Abit makes a similar Slot type board with the same chipset if you need it.

Suicide is painless...........

carlbeck

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you will find that HP 8000 series computers use a physical standard for motherboards. This means that you can replace the existing motherboard with any stadard ATX full size motherboard.