Sign in with
Your question

BC2 GTX460 terrible performance

Last response: in Video Games
April 24, 2011 6:05:45 PM

I have already read alot about this issue, but its been very fragmented, and most of the information I have found is very old.

My current rig is a core 2 duo e6600, OC to 3.0
GTX 460 768
4GB of DDR2 800 Ram

I have pretty much tried every settings in BC2 from going really high to going really low as well as switching my direct x between 9, 10 and 11. No matter what I do, I cannot get my performance above 30-40 fps. The problem is that the 30-40 FPS is during good map conditions. What I mean by that is that on maps like heavy metal I get around 25-40 FPS. But on maps like oasis, Im struggling just to stay above 20, i usually get 15 there, totally unplayable. I am not sure what is going on, I had the 266 drivers at first, now I have the updated 270 and it makes no difference. Directx 9/10/11 makes absolutely no difference to my game, all three run the same 20-30 if im lucky, and 30-40 on heavy metal. I am not sure what to do anymore. I ran crysis 2 on high settings with no problems, and i cant even run this game on low settings. Anybody know if downgrading drivers will work? and which ones work the best if its even possible?
April 24, 2011 6:32:22 PM

its because you have a dual core cpu. your gpu isnt getting more than 50% usage.
if you had a quad it would go up to 97%+ and double your fps.
m
l
April 24, 2011 6:36:38 PM

I seriously doubt that my core 2 duo is bottlenecking my GTX460 considering Ive been playing metro 2033 on near max settings and i get like 40-50 FPS constant, and BC 2 has nowhere near the graphics of metro 2033....not even close.

The only reason I can see my core 2 duo messing things up, is if BC 2 is specifically catered to quad cores, which I doubt is the case considering when it was released.

Also on a side note, i literally jsut went into the game and put every option possible to its lowest possible settings...and my FPS did not change one bit...if anything it actually went down a little bit. I cant get passed 30 no matter what I do, the only map i get 30+ steady on is heavy metal, which is the biggest map in the entire game with huge viewing distances, which makes absolutely no sense to me, if anything it would be getting less performance.
m
l
Related resources
April 24, 2011 11:37:39 PM

it's the CPU. a phenom II x2 or C2D E8XXX can handle BFBC2 but other wise the game really likes 3+ cores. Also, Crysis 2 "high" settings are actually its lowest setting.
m
l
April 25, 2011 5:00:40 AM

As posted by Hexit and ct1615, your problem is your CPU. To meet the recommended requirements, you should at least get a quad core CPU. Your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU.

And as for Crysis 2. The names of the graphics settings, are High , Very High and Extreme. You can't run it on low because there is no low setting in Crysis 2. The low setting is HIGH.
m
l
April 25, 2011 8:56:24 AM

Your card isn't exactly top notch for trying to run BBC2. Not fast enough and not enough v-ram. That game won't run great without a quad core. Stop fighting that FACT.

As far as Metro, I'd like to know your true settings in that game because my hardware blows yours away and my "returned" gtx560 couldn't play it for a hill of beans.

Crysis2 is a DX9 game. That would explain some of the playability there.

Open the nvidia control panel and check ALL the settings and make adjustments. With that card I'd also set max pre rendered frames to max. 8 I think it is.
m
l
April 25, 2011 11:59:05 AM

setting the render ahead limit wont help in this case. all it will do is create mouse lag.
m
l
April 26, 2011 3:42:21 PM

I too have a Core2Duo (E6300), and my wife has an i5 750.

I have a better GPU (GTX 460 vs. 5770), but her's play much smoother.

I too a look at the CPU usage and heat, and her's is using 3 of the 4 cores, while mine just the two, so I agree that you and I are CPU limited.

I am upgrading this week to i5 2500K...(I get angry with the spawn kills because of my low fps).
m
l
April 26, 2011 7:33:44 PM

thats just lazy gamers... spawn killers is the lowest form of life in the gaming food chain but they do breed effectively so are hard to eradicate.
m
l
April 26, 2011 7:41:19 PM

sdwinder said:
I seriously doubt that my core 2 duo is bottlenecking my GTX460 considering Ive been playing metro 2033 on near max settings and i get like 40-50 FPS constant, and BC 2 has nowhere near the graphics of metro 2033....not even close.

The only reason I can see my core 2 duo messing things up, is if BC 2 is specifically catered to quad cores, which I doubt is the case considering when it was released.

Also on a side note, i literally jsut went into the game and put every option possible to its lowest possible settings...and my FPS did not change one bit...if anything it actually went down a little bit. I cant get passed 30 no matter what I do, the only map i get 30+ steady on is heavy metal, which is the biggest map in the entire game with huge viewing distances, which makes absolutely no sense to me, if anything it would be getting less performance.

well considering i got my info direct from the horses mouth i think you better rethink your posting style. as it comes across as aggressive.
the e.a. forums is full of these types of posts and some have been answerd by the developers them selves guys like bazajaytee, who i also played with on a few occasions during the first 2 patches of the game.
you dont have to take my advice nor do i have to give it, but 1 things for sure attitude will get you nothing...
m
l
May 1, 2011 7:28:08 PM

Hi,

I fully agree with the recomendation of moving to a quad core cpu, I upgraded my core 2 6600 to an I5-760 with a 9800gt and the FPS and game smothnes increased significantly. I do not remember numbers but from low 30s to mid 50s in mid detail and 1400x900. (my regular K/D has gone since the switch from 0,9 to 1,2)

Last week I have upgraded to a 6950 and it goes around 80fps (70 to 120) at highest quality.

In gaming it seeems that Sandy bridge is the way to go... and a second 460 SLI while they last on the will make you happier... and you'll be ready for Battlefield 3 that most likely will be multicore optimized.

best regards
m
l
May 2, 2011 2:37:43 AM

Mvx15n said:
Hi,

I fully agree with the recomendation of moving to a quad core cpu, I upgraded my core 2 6600 to an I5-760 with a 9800gt and the FPS and game smothnes increased significantly. I do not remember numbers but from low 30s to mid 50s in mid detail and 1400x900. (my regular K/D has gone since the switch from 0,9 to 1,2)

Last week I have upgraded to a 6950 and it goes around 80fps (70 to 120) at highest quality.

In gaming it seeems that Sandy bridge is the way to go... and a second 460 SLI while they last on the will make you happier... and you'll be ready for Battlefield 3 that most likely will be multicore optimized.

best regards

While they last? Should I get one now? I was planning on buyine one in a few months, to pair with my current one.
m
l
August 3, 2011 12:31:01 AM

Early 2012 the new nvidia 6xx will come an the 4xx will dissapear... (ebay will always be there...)
m
l
August 3, 2011 2:28:23 AM

Thanks. I have one rig running in SLI, and another with a single GTX 460.

I get 100+ FPS running BFBC2 @ 1920x1080 with everything on high.
m
l
!