Sign in with
Your question

How do I remove the chipset fan on the A7V133?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 11, 2001 3:03:37 PM

I have a strange problem with my A7V133-based machine.

Every time I turn on the machine, after a second or two it starts making a terrible whine/humming noise. This lasts about 10 seconds or so, then quiets down. It will be fine for the rest of the time I use the machine, and in fact will not recur if I shut down and restart within a few hours (it has to literally be a cold start to get the problem).

By trial and error (disconnecting fans and hard drives) I have traced this problem to the chipset fan that came mounted on the A7V133. The problem developed within the first week of using the board.

First, has anyone else had this problem? Second, what can I do about it? Seems like replacing the fan is the obvious solution, but what's not obvious (to me) is how to remove it. I've looked carefully at it and it appears to be held in by two posts on opposing corners of the fan, said posts snapping into the mobo. Possibly (probably?) it's also glued on or in some way bound to the chip, too. Anyone ever removed this fan? Any advice appreciated, I'm a bit nervous doing this kind of surgery on my machine, which by the way is working just fine.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2001 4:07:47 PM

Asus is replacing these fans for free (or they did for me). Basically to get the fan off you need to take the motherboard out completely and pinch the pins from underneath.

I tried doing it without removing my board and ended up screwing up my board and buying a new one.

The new A7V133s are coming with the new fan on them.
April 11, 2001 5:14:44 PM

Thanks. How do I get them to replace the fan for me? Or do they just send me a replacement and I have to install it?
Related resources
April 12, 2001 7:27:04 PM

I called Asus at 510-739-3777 and pushed the button for tech support. Within a minute or so I talked to an operator who took my address and is going to mail me a replacement. I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone else who has the same problem (at least in the USA).
April 12, 2001 8:51:58 PM

I have the exact same problem on my A7V133 exactly as you described it. But still, after 10 seconds it goes away, so it really doesn't bother me enough to take apart my whole computer and get a replacement.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.
April 16, 2001 4:22:50 PM

I thought that, too, but then I started thinking that such sounds are usually the agonized screams from a dying component, and wondered about whether the fan would die at some point. I got tired of opening up the case every time I booted to make sure it was running (because, how do you know that the noise didn't stop because of a seziure?).

I got my replacement fan from Asus Saturday, for the benefit of anyone else who needs to do it this is what I did:

The fan is held in by two spring-loaded plastic clips. The clips have little arrows on the tips so that they push through the mobo and then lock on the other side. The springs hold the fan in place. To remove the fan you need access to the back of your mobo. Yes it's a pain, but not really that bad -- I pulled out all the cards and then unscrewed the board from the back. I left all the cables and wires attached and just tipped it up inside the case to access the back.

In theory, you should be able to squeeze each arrow back down and push it up through the hole, but I found this impossible and so I just used some cutters to carefully cut off the tips (careful not to make any marks on the back of the mobo while doing this). Note that you have to push them down from the top of the mobo so that they stick out enough underneath to cut them off.

The fan just popped off after that. I noticed that it did not have any thermal paste, so I applied some before putting on the new fan. Putting on the new fan is (literally) a snap! After that I just screwed down the mobo and put all the cards back in.

Oh, yeah, just to be safe I removed my DRAM during this procedure. I left the CPU in place because getting that heatsink on was a b|tch.

Whole procedure took about 30 min, most of which was removing/replacing the cards and unscrewing/reattaching the mobo. System is working great now.
!