Decent PC but still getting low FPS

Dontcopythatfloppy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I get around 25 FPS in L4D2 and TF2 but I'm not sure why. I run both of the games at 1280x1024 with max settings. Lowering the settings helps the frame rate a bit, but only puts it at around 50-60 fps and the frame rate will drop to around 30 when there is alot happening in the game.

My system specs:
AMD Phenom II X2 (running as quad core)
ATI Radeon HD 4670
3gb DDR2 ram at 533mhz

I reinstalled the video card drivers and it didn't help. CPU load never goes above 70% and GPU load never goes above 65%. Shouldn't I be getting better frame rates?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
What version of phenom II you got exactly? Not really sure about it, but I would think it's the ram,is it running at it's maximum frequency? do you know what ram is it?
Have you tried running the game with no background apps, like AV or firewalls?

Dontcopythatfloppy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

I have tried running the games with no apps running the background. I have an X2 550. There are four sticks of ram in the computer. 2x1gb Corsair XMS2 and 2x512mb "Sanya" (I took these out of a dell machine). I've tried running the games with the Sanya ram removed from the machine since it is slower than the corsair ram but it doesn't really help performance.

How do I check to see if the ram is running at maximum frequency?

Dontcopythatfloppy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Corsair 400MHz (its supposed to be 800mhz)
Nanya 266MHz

Edit: I just took out the Nanya again to see if the speed of the corsair would change. However in cpu-z its still showing PC2-6400 (400MHz). Do I have to change a settings in the bios?

the 4670 isnt a particularly powerful card. and playing at 12/10 is about as good as it will get if you put vsnc on you should lock it down to 30 fps which although is lower fps it will be constant. 30 fps is all you need and because your running less fps you may be able to up the quality from minimum to medium.

update.
i checked the benchmarks and 50 fps at minimum settings is about all you can expect. so like i say put vsnc on, enable tripple buffering and up the image quality. and enjoy your games.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

your corsair is 400mhz running at dual channel, 800mhz and your Nanya, has any labels on it saying PC2...it is quite dodgy installing those rams manufacturers give you on another pc with your ram,nut they have to be the same freqs.
From bios you should be able to select the frequency you want the ram to run at. but if they are different frequencies yo probably will get bsods. if they cannot be set at 800mhz from bios try 667,should be all right.

I guess you will be better replacing those Nanyas with another 2x1GB if its ok with your mb.

It would be normal if the framerate drop a bit sometimes, depending on the levels you are, having more or less physics or effects, it won't be constantly the same fps if your pc is not tuned up to max, if you know what I mean.If you plan to overclock your pc make sure you buy another cooler for your cpu.

Dontcopythatfloppy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

So I should definitely buy a new video card before I buy a new processor?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I don't see the point in buying a new processor, and as I said, your card is not bad and it can run games around 40 fps, it's kind of old, Im sure you can get a better one for not much reducing the chances of bottleneck.
Is this your cpu?
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii550/2.html
if so, in these tests ram is running at 1333...

I don't understand Hexit? why you are saying that Vsync on and triple buffering will help? for me it will cause more drops,

by turning on vsync some games and tripple buffering can smooth out games that suffer big fps drops. something to do with how the card syncs to the screen. i may lower the fps to 30 fps but at least it wont be dropping from 50 to 30 which is the problem. i noticed that some games run at 30 fps when vsync is enabled even on a 60hz setting. so its worth a try.

you only notice slowdown when big drops occur as it affects the smooth flow of the images. so if you take out the huge drops by running at a lower framerate the game will play smooth and you wont worry what fps your getting.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

OK,I think I will give it a try too on bad company 2, I know I would be struggling with my cpu, but when there is 10-15 players I can play it almost brilliant but when it goes up to 20 or more then I notice some kind of lag and fps drops,even my ping gets higher, but maybe I can find some kind of average setting and I can play it better.Thanks, 'will lete you know how it went.

I still think Dontcopythatfloppy is having some kind of bottleneck issue.Would be nice to take those Nanyas out and play it with the corsairs only. :??:

Dontcopythatfloppy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I actually took them out and the computer has been running with just the corsair for a bit. Didn't really notice a change in game performance but it might be due to the fact that my system only has 2gb of ram now. I'm still a bit confused by the replies to this thread. Some people are telling me to replace my processor and others are telling me to replace my video card, yet neither of them reach 100% load when I game. Wouldn't that mean that neither of them are causing the performance issues?

a gfx card will only reach about 97% and yours is in no way big enough to bottleneck that chip even at dual core settings. you would need something akin to a 98gtx+ for that to happen. on your current gfx your only gonna get 50-60 fps with low settings and as you describe you will get big fps drops. thats normal.

adendum. the vsync thing only works with certain ports that will sync at 30mhz in the gfx option...

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Didn't work for me, probably it's not for my issue.I should just change the whole system for once.
Do you think if he adds more ram, like 4gb would help? If he has a phenom II am3, then his MB should be able to support ram maximum 1600mhz/1333,I done some research and checked, a similar PC would run Left for Dead(1) getting about 100fps
I think his processor is good and powerful enough.

man,did you check that your cpu is running at the speed it should be? cpuz?
I can't think of anytihng else+ if you are thinking in replace something my opinion would be add another 2gb and have a look for a better video card.