Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Win XP ICS - DHCP just quits working?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
November 29, 2004 10:52:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hello. Please allow me to ask a question. I am very puzzled. Perhaps
some of you could shed some light on my current situation.

Scenario: Windows XP Pro with Netgear WG111 USB 2.0 wireless(wifi)
adapter. Drivers and applications installed from latest zip file from
netgear (wg111_2_1.zip). Native netgear apps not running at all,
instead I am using Windows XP's capabilities to manage my wifi network
which consist of an ad hoc network with desktop as host and a laptop
as the client. I am using Win XP's Internet Connection Sharing (and
its DHCP capabilities).

The ad hoc network runs at 11 mpbs (802.11b) and has a wep key.

For 2 weeks everything works fine. Win XP assigns an IP address to the
laptop everytime it connects to the ad hoc network, and I can use my
broadband internet connection from my laptop. All is good. Getting
great range and data transfer rate is great when streaming music from
the host desktop.

Then for what seems like totally out of the blue, Win XP does NOT
assign an IP address to my laptop anymore. The laptop connects to the
ad hoc network, but hangs on 'acquiring IP address' or something like
that, and finally times out and gets a default IP address. If I run
ipconfig /renew in a command window on the laptop, I get the message
that the DHCP server cannot be reached.

Any ideas? Why would Win XP DHCP suddenly stop working after 2 weeks
or so?

Please note that if I manually assign an IP address to the laptop,
then all is good again. I can see the host and transfer files etc.
Since I have other wifi networks at work, I would like to use Win XP's
DHCP again at home because I do not want to have to assign and
unassign IP addresses all the time (DHCP at work, then manually at
home etc.).

Thank you in advance. CHEERS!
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:13:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

BenLamoureux@yahoo.com (Bendit) wrote in
news:b21825bc.0411290752.497891df@posting.google.com:

> Hello. Please allow me to ask a question. I am very puzzled. Perhaps
> some of you could shed some light on my current situation.
>
> Scenario: Windows XP Pro with Netgear WG111 USB 2.0 wireless(wifi)
> adapter. Drivers and applications installed from latest zip file from
> netgear (wg111_2_1.zip). Native netgear apps not running at all,
> instead I am using Windows XP's capabilities to manage my wifi network
> which consist of an ad hoc network with desktop as host and a laptop
> as the client. I am using Win XP's Internet Connection Sharing (and
> its DHCP capabilities).
>
> The ad hoc network runs at 11 mpbs (802.11b) and has a wep key.
>
> For 2 weeks everything works fine. Win XP assigns an IP address to the
> laptop everytime it connects to the ad hoc network, and I can use my
> broadband internet connection from my laptop. All is good. Getting
> great range and data transfer rate is great when streaming music from
> the host desktop.
>
> Then for what seems like totally out of the blue, Win XP does NOT
> assign an IP address to my laptop anymore. The laptop connects to the
> ad hoc network, but hangs on 'acquiring IP address' or something like
> that, and finally times out and gets a default IP address. If I run
> ipconfig /renew in a command window on the laptop, I get the message
> that the DHCP server cannot be reached.
>
> Any ideas? Why would Win XP DHCP suddenly stop working after 2 weeks
> or so?
>
> Please note that if I manually assign an IP address to the laptop,
> then all is good again. I can see the host and transfer files etc.
> Since I have other wifi networks at work, I would like to use Win XP's
> DHCP again at home because I do not want to have to assign and
> unassign IP addresses all the time (DHCP at work, then manually at
> home etc.).

I would simply get a wired/wireless NAT router and let it be the gateway
device and the DHCP server for the network and be done with it and forget
about AD-Hoc anything with ICS Windows anything. You'll have less gray
hairs that way. ;-)

It's just a lille advice.


http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp

Duane :) 
November 30, 2004 9:39:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Have you recently updated zone alarm past the 4.59 version? If so
reverting back to the 4.59 or before version should let your ics work
again. Chuck

On 29 Nov 2004 07:52:20 -0800, BenLamoureux@yahoo.com (Bendit) wrote:

>Hello. Please allow me to ask a question. I am very puzzled. Perhaps
>some of you could shed some light on my current situation.
>
>Scenario: Windows XP Pro with Netgear WG111 USB 2.0 wireless(wifi)
>adapter. Drivers and applications installed from latest zip file from
>netgear (wg111_2_1.zip). Native netgear apps not running at all,
>instead I am using Windows XP's capabilities to manage my wifi network
>which consist of an ad hoc network with desktop as host and a laptop
>as the client. I am using Win XP's Internet Connection Sharing (and
>its DHCP capabilities).
>
>The ad hoc network runs at 11 mpbs (802.11b) and has a wep key.
>
>For 2 weeks everything works fine. Win XP assigns an IP address to the
>laptop everytime it connects to the ad hoc network, and I can use my
>broadband internet connection from my laptop. All is good. Getting
>great range and data transfer rate is great when streaming music from
>the host desktop.
>
>Then for what seems like totally out of the blue, Win XP does NOT
>assign an IP address to my laptop anymore. The laptop connects to the
>ad hoc network, but hangs on 'acquiring IP address' or something like
>that, and finally times out and gets a default IP address. If I run
>ipconfig /renew in a command window on the laptop, I get the message
>that the DHCP server cannot be reached.
>
>Any ideas? Why would Win XP DHCP suddenly stop working after 2 weeks
>or so?
>
>Please note that if I manually assign an IP address to the laptop,
>then all is good again. I can see the host and transfer files etc.
>Since I have other wifi networks at work, I would like to use Win XP's
>DHCP again at home because I do not want to have to assign and
>unassign IP addresses all the time (DHCP at work, then manually at
>home etc.).
>
>Thank you in advance. CHEERS!
Related resources
December 4, 2004 11:31:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

BenLamoureux@yahoo.com (Bendit) wrote in message news:<b21825bc.0411290752.497891df@posting.google.com>...
> Hello. Please allow me to ask a question. I am very puzzled. Perhaps
> some of you could shed some light on my current situation.
>
> Scenario: Windows XP Pro with Netgear WG111 USB 2.0 wireless(wifi)
> adapter. Drivers and applications installed from latest zip file from
> netgear (wg111_2_1.zip). Native netgear apps not running at all,
> instead I am using Windows XP's capabilities to manage my wifi network
> which consist of an ad hoc network with desktop as host and a laptop
> as the client. I am using Win XP's Internet Connection Sharing (and
> its DHCP capabilities).
>
> The ad hoc network runs at 11 mpbs (802.11b) and has a wep key.
>
> For 2 weeks everything works fine. Win XP assigns an IP address to the
> laptop everytime it connects to the ad hoc network, and I can use my
> broadband internet connection from my laptop. All is good. Getting
> great range and data transfer rate is great when streaming music from
> the host desktop.
>
> Then for what seems like totally out of the blue, Win XP does NOT
> assign an IP address to my laptop anymore. The laptop connects to the
> ad hoc network, but hangs on 'acquiring IP address' or something like
> that, and finally times out and gets a default IP address. If I run
> ipconfig /renew in a command window on the laptop, I get the message
> that the DHCP server cannot be reached.
>
> Any ideas? Why would Win XP DHCP suddenly stop working after 2 weeks
> or so?
>
> Please note that if I manually assign an IP address to the laptop,
> then all is good again. I can see the host and transfer files etc.
> Since I have other wifi networks at work, I would like to use Win XP's
> DHCP again at home because I do not want to have to assign and
> unassign IP addresses all the time (DHCP at work, then manually at
> home etc.).
>
> Thank you in advance. CHEERS!


New outcome: I had reinstalled all the netgear software and
reconfigured 'internet connection sharing' under windows XP pro and
all was good again. The desktop was giving an IP to the laptop, I
could access the web from the laptop, life was good.

Then again, while surfing the web from the laptop, all stopped working
again. I couldn't surf to anything anymore, URLs couldn't get resolved
anymore, I couldn't even PING the host desktop (192.168.0.1)! A
'repair' on the network adapter would once again fail on 'acquiring
network address'. The host computer was hosed again.

I am now forced to use hard coded IP addresses, and I am writing this
message through a remote desktop connection from the laptop to the
desktop (which I guess is way more secured in a way since I have to
authenticate).

(note that the wireless service on that laptop runs fine all day long
at work, without any drops at all)

So that is my story. I am mystified at the ability of my host computer
to work for a while (ICS) and then stop and stay broken for what seems
like no good reason at all.

Again, if you have any insights, I am all ears.

cheers!
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

it's worth a try for you, but i find that xp is usually the issue.
check your firewall settings (if you use xp firewall) as that's where
the issue has been when i'm troubleshooting the office computers.
although after the first few weeks of resetting (yes, on more than one
laptop it took me resetting that several times on each) i no longer
have the issue, but when i do - it is someone's firewall.


--
mediadarling
brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
December 21, 2004 9:14:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"mediadarling" <mediadarling.1hmhsa@WiFi-Forum_dot_com> wrote in message
news:mediadarling.1hmhsa@WiFi-Forum_dot_com...
>
> it's worth a try for you, but i find that xp is usually the issue.
> check your firewall settings (if you use xp firewall) as that's where
> the issue has been when i'm troubleshooting the office computers.
> although after the first few weeks of resetting (yes, on more than one
> laptop it took me resetting that several times on each) i no longer
> have the issue, but when i do - it is someone's firewall.
>
>
> --
> mediadarling
> brought to you by http://www.wifi-forum.com/
>

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately, it is not the firewall, at least
what I can see of the GUI.

Progress report:

I run ICS with a hard coded IP address (and gateway & DNS that points to my
host with ICS) on my client (the laptop). I have been up and running without
any problems. It seems like the DHCP feature of XP Pro with ICS enabled was
the problem for me, it totally breaks my connection.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:25:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi

I have the same problem. My desktop has got ICS running on it. My
laptop was working just fine acquiring an IP address through DHCP.
Suddenly out of the blue it just stopped working.

I have two laptops at my home. Both same make and same wireless LAN
card (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG). Now one of them is working perfectly
fine acquring IP address through DHCP but in the other laptop the DHCP
client has suddenly quit working. therefore i know the problem is not
with the host.

both the laptops run WinXP SP2 whereas the host is just WinXP. also i
did not install any new software on my laptop so i know the DHCP client
did not quit due to some s/w conflict.

Please help. Also if at least anyone can tell me how to manually
configure my laptop for ICS.

thanks

- Sid


--
siddskapoor
http://forums.speedguide.net
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:25:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

siddskapoor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have the same problem. My desktop has got ICS running on it. My
> laptop was working just fine acquiring an IP address through DHCP.
> Suddenly out of the blue it just stopped working.
>
> I have two laptops at my home. Both same make and same wireless LAN
> card (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG). Now one of them is working perfectly
> fine acquring IP address through DHCP but in the other laptop the DHCP
> client has suddenly quit working. therefore i know the problem is not
> with the host.
>
> both the laptops run WinXP SP2 whereas the host is just WinXP. also i
> did not install any new software on my laptop so i know the DHCP
> client did not quit due to some s/w conflict.
>
> Please help. Also if at least anyone can tell me how to manually
> configure my laptop for ICS.
>
> thanks
>
> - Sid

Cant recall what I did, but it was something to do with the XP SP2 Firewall.
For sure I turned it off to try it, and think I did something with
exceptions.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:51:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

My second laptop's DHCP also stopped working today just out of the
blue... no new software installed... nothing...

My first laptop was bought earlier and it stopped working around 10-15
days ago.. the other laptop was bought later and it stopped working
later.

Seems too wierd. Me totally confused.

You say you had something to do with firewalls.. Was it the host
machine firewall or the client firewall ?

On the host machine i have two Network cards. The first one connects me
to my ISP and its firewalled (it connects to the internet and is
shared). the second one is a wireless one and it is automatically
assigned 192.168.0.1 and it is not firewalled. My computer runs a soft
AP and the wirless lan card connects to the wireless network simulated
by the soft AP.

how is your network working right now?

- Sid


--
siddskapoor
http://forums.speedguide.net
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:35:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

lucaspaciolu2 wrote:
> which is the diference between ap and router wireless?
>
> regards,
>
>

An access point provides wireless access to an existing wired network,
or just the hub for a wireless network. A wireless router may well also
provided wireless access, but is used to provide a connection between
two networks.

http://www.ezlan.net/APvsRoute.html
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardware/networking/0,3900...

Its far better explained in these two.

Daniel
!