IWill KK266-R's integrated sound

G

I'm going to be getting the IWill KK-266R for my new system and was wondering how the integrated, hardware-based 4.1 C-Media sound was on the board.

Is it good enough not to warrant the addition of a PCI sound card such as the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz?

I'll be using the sound primarily for mp3 playing.

Peter

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
karma,

I've got that board and so far I'm happy with the onboard. I think many others are as well. I'd suggest you at least try it before investing in a sound card you might not need.

If you need 5.1 sound or want more flexible I/O options, you might also need a separate card. The onboard has two CD audio ins, one mic in, one front speaker out and a combined (either or) rear speaker/Line-in connection. This is a bit limiting, but not to bad for essentially no cost. For just plain listening quality, the c-media is quite acceptable. I don't know where the Turtle Beach card falls in the CPU usage range, but the on-board uses more CPU than the SB Live (supposed one of the best in this regard).

However, be forwarned that SOME SB Live cards are having troubles with all the KK133a based boards, so you might want to stay away from it (sounds like you would anyway).

Look over: <A HREF="http://fullon3d.com/kk266faq/kk266faq.shtml" target="_new">http://fullon3d.com/kk266faq/kk266faq.shtml</A> for lots more info on the KK266.

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek:

G

Where did you get your Iwill KA266-R? I'm having a hard time finding one to purchers. Any help?

Never tell a lie, that way you don't have to remember anything you have said.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Seekrr,

We're talkin' KK266's, not KA266's, but that's not important. Try to search for "ka266" at <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com</A>. I got my KK266-R at micropro.com as a combo. HSF is marginal, so if you go that way, either twist their arms into a good HSF for your CPU choice, or budget for an additional HSF purchase.

The KA does have the same on board sound if that matters :smile: .

BW

G

Sounds good. I think I'll stick with on-board audio to begin with.

A couple of more questions:

- I may be outputting the sound into my 5.1 home theater
system speakers. Is there a line-out for this? And will it work even though it's only capable of 4.1 output? I don't need it to replicate 5.1, I just want to use the nicer speakers over my comp speakers.

- Does the CPU usage noticeably slow down the system in any way?

BTW, thanks for that link. I took a brief look through it, and I know it'll be invaluable when I finally put my system together in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Peter

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
What you've got w/ the on-board is typical soundcard outputs:

1: 2 channel, 1/8" analog front speaker output
1: 2 channel, 1/8" analog rear speaker output

There is an "optional" SPDIF function that is discussed in the manual, but is not on my board. (the silkscreening is there, but no header/connector is on the board :frown: ). If somehow, you could get a board with this option, you'd have a great way to connect to your 5.1 receiver. But I have no idea whether Iwill is actually implimenting this.

With just the analog connectors, you're going to have to get some patch cords to split the two channels from each onboard sound connector to a left and right input to the receiver (for each on-board connector, front and back). These are available at Radioschlock (maybe higher quality ones are available at a real stereo store :smile: ). You should also consider how far you're going to have to run the patch cables. I'd say 25 ft. would be pretty close to the max. without quite noticeable sound degradation. Since the bass isn't on a separate channel, you should be able to pull it out of the front channels and get it to your sub through the receiver. How your receiver handles getting 4 of the 5.1 (6) channels, I don't know. Some receivers can't do much with the 5.1 analog input, but you still might be able to get the bass out somehow. I'll leave that up to you to figure out!

Regarding CPU usage, it's pretty subjective and dependent on how much CPU horsepower you've got to spare. You probably loose a few FPS in intense video gaming with intense sounds, etc. Again, I think I'd try it and see how it works. Meanwhile, you can research the best soundcards. Check out the soundcard forum here. There's a post by "The Fuzz" discussing the pros and cons of the Turtle Beach vs the SB Live's, etc. I'd always heard that the SB Live had the lowest CPU usage, but maybe the TB has now bested it.

'bout all I can add,

BW

G

I'm in the same boat. Loving my new KK266R system, and happy with the onboard sound for now, even for home theatre. But I'm considering a seperate soundcard at some point. Be sure to consider the Hercules Game Theatre XP; it's awesome. Although it's SPU isn't quite as beefy as the SB Live, the features will make your head swim. The external rack is the kicker. Check out this review:
http://www.guru3d.com/review/game-theater-xp/
Phat city!

"If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes."

TRENDING THREADS