asus a7m 266 hard drive problems?

G

I'm having a very strange problem with Asus motherboards lately.

Ok, initially I was building a computer for a friend and used an Asus CUSL2 ATX 133Mhz motherboard. However, I kept having this problem with the hard drives when I would try and boot up. It would detect the hard drive fine on the initial bootup screen (where it also checks memory), but on the 2nd screen (with the black and white table that lists data including which dimm slots are filled, total memory, cache size, prim/secondary, etc.) it would fail to find the drive in the primary master area. I tried all sorts of things to fix it, including using different cables, switching up prim/secondary, master/slave, another hard drive, and so on, but nothing worked. So I sent it back, citing motherboard problems, and will be receiving it back sometime this week.

Okay, now for my current problem, which is strikingly similar. I'm building a new comp for myself, which is a 1.2ghz amd thunderbird with an Asus a7m 266 motherboard. On the first screen, it checks the mem and processor fine, but then says "primary master drive failed." When I hit F1 to continue, it brought me to the next screen and said there's no os to boot from. So I switched between auto and user-defined hard drive in the bios, but that didn't help. I re-secured ide cables, nothing, I tried different ide cables, nothing. I tried a different hard drive, nothing. I tried switching it to secondary master, and got the same error, this time saying "secondary master drive failed."

The only difference between the two problems is that the one I need help with right now shows me an error on the very first screen, but I'm guessing that has to do with the bios/motherboard version.

If anyone knows if there is some special way I have to setup my drives for an athlon system (this is my first), or if there's some magical feature in the bios, or if i need to flash my bios, or anything else you can think of, please let me know.

Thanks in advance to any help. Really appreciate it.

chainbolt

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I'm using the A7M266 since december 2000. I have tried it with 3 different HDD from maxtor, Quantum and Western Dgigtal, it's now running in RAID O with 2 WD 80 Giga disks.
I never had the slightest HDD problem. I also checked AMD.zone and AMSMB.com, both sides have dedicated Asus mobo forums with tons of posts about the A7M266: not the slightest hint about your problem. There are 2 ways: either the mobo you get has indeed a specific prob, that of course happens, and it will be solved with a replacement, or you have a problem with your HDD. For sure there is no magic BIOS trick, because if you are in "default", that's it, what almost everyvbody is doing without having this prob. I hope you can solve it, it sounds mysterious

G

How did you get raid on your a7m266? I'm guessing you used a seperate controller card to do it. That would bypass the on-board ide all together.

Strange problem. I would almost have to say the mb is bad on that one too... I didn't have any problems with mine. Did you try disconnecting all of your ide devices except the primary master and double checking the master setting? Maybe try putting it on the secondary master postion and selecting boot from D drive in the bios... To rule out the primary ide channel...

"I've been called worse by better people. You can do better..."