Have People forgotten about the MSI's K7 Master?

G

All the HYPE seems to be around MSI's KT266 Board. And then there's those people who say its crap and to go with the 760 chipset i.e. A7M266. Then those people say its good but lacks the clock multiplier. Is it just me or is EVERYONE SLEEPING? What about the K7 Master, I haven't heard a THING on this board except from a german site which gave it 100% in stability and like 99% in performance. It beat out all boards including the A7M. Would it be safe to say that the site which reviewed the K7 Master is extrememly biased? Either that or everyone else is missing out on a great product.

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I'm awake now!!! The MSI K7 master is a good MB, But you should wake up now!! The KT266 MB's are the new thing out. just sit back and read the new threads!!!!!!! Then decide whats what!!!!

G

I am sitting back and reading and so far all I see is lack luster performance and compatibility problems. Sure USB 2.0 is great but I can sacrifice that for a kick ass board that is fast and more importantly, STABLE.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
The MSI K7 Master has received more hype than any mobo I can remember (ever)! As it turns out, MSI provided some 'hand-picked' pre-production MS-6341-S (SCSI) versions to a few premier review-sites (e.g., TomsHardware). These sites found those 'cherry-picked' boards to be good, stable performers, and they soon became their DDR reference standard in subsequent reviews.

However, many of the first production K7 Masters had stability problems (as did the ASUS A7M266), resulting in a production-hold and some engineering changes, such as reducing the number of DIMM slots from 4 to 2. Seems that the AMD761 Northbridge <b>won't reliably support more than 2 DIMMs!</b>. Even more embarrasing, those first production models <b>would not reliably operate at 266MHz FSB!</b>

Now with the necessary engineering changes in place, only a limited number of the revised boards have been produced because MSI has committed its DDR resources to their K7T266, a much less complex and less expensive board to manufacture. Most of the mobo mfrs now believe that the KT266 is the most feature-rich and cost-effective DDR solution, and at this point in time, everything else being offered is just a stop-gap sales measure.

G

Is there even any comparison between MSI's K7 Master and its new K7T266 in terms or stability or speed?

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I think its chipnet.com but I may be wrong. It has a comparison of the K7T266 Pro and the K7 Master. It is useing a new beta BIOS for the K7T266 and ahows them performing almost equal. Actually now that I think about it, it may have been on aceshardware.com. Anyway I have no doubt that once the "official" BIOS is release K7T266 will perform better than any AMD 760 chipset board.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.