KA266 Power popped!!

subz

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2001
Gidday me new to this forum.

Just got back from Japan today and while I was there I got given a Ka266 Mobo revison 1.3 etc.

Thought I'd try it out since I already have a Asus A7M266 which doesn't have Multiplier adjust.

Stuck the board in, set everything up, BOOTED and I hear a LOUD POP and saw a bit of smoke!! ROFL

Switched the ah heck of and open power supply, sure enough a black capacitor had blown up....

What I need to know is, is there a difference for each country re Mobo power rating?? I never thought there was, thought they were universal.

Sorry for long post..

Help fast needed

subz
New Zealand

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Don't know the answer to your actual question, but I would think that any power supply differences would stop at the input to the power supply (115v vs 220v).

There aren't many KA266 owners here, but from what I've been reading at Iwill's support site, it wouldn't suprise me if the KA266 pulled a lot of power at bootup. They seem to have lots of wierd boot problems that are solved by disconnecting things (USB devices, turn off the monitor at boot, etc.) These may be unrelated, but there seems to be a theme.

BW

the more I learn, the less I'm sure I know... :eek: