Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to use both wired and wireless together

Last response: in Business Computing
Share
March 8, 2013 7:44:28 AM

i have a mifi 2200 virgin mobile internet and i have three computers useing a roswill wireless adapter and every computer has one to get on the internet, and i have a switch for all my ethernet cards to hook to. i want to use the switch so that i can use sinergy so that i can use one moust and one keyboard, but the problem is, that when i enable my ethernet card i can no longer access the internet whitch is wireless. i have forced each computer to have its own ip address for example. one is 192.168.1.100, and 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 the wireless is useing 192.168.1.1. so why am i getting a conflict?????

More about : wired wireless

March 8, 2013 9:55:42 AM

It's not working, because both ip addresses are in the same net segment. The IP stack has now idea now witch way to go to reach the internet gateway. Short version: it's a routing problem. Easiest solution: connect them wired to the internet. Hard way: separate net segments plus static routs.
March 8, 2013 4:52:11 PM

noidea_77 said:
It's not working, because both ip addresses are in the same net segment. The IP stack has now idea now witch way to go to reach the internet gateway. Short version: it's a routing problem. Easiest solution: connect them wired to the internet. Hard way: separate net segments plus static routs.


wired is out of the question. i live where im lucky to have this internet. theres know way to hook my mifi box to a wire. it is the mifi 2200 to go by virgin mobile. it has one plug and thats for the chrger. i cant get dsl because no one has a line out this far. can you explain how to use both at the same time with no conflict please
Related resources
March 8, 2013 4:57:54 PM

Windows acts strangely when connected via wireless and wired LAN.
March 8, 2013 5:05:04 PM

I work for a networking firm. Using both wireless and wired at the same time isn't a wise decision. We've had issues where people turn on wifi while connected to a physical network. As Jim said, windows doesn't handle wifi and wired well. It would turn into specific packets being routed across two connection mediums which is pretty complex. It would be less efficient than just using one medium.

Just don't do it.
March 8, 2013 5:24:47 PM

so basicly your saying im stuck with three mouses and three keyboards on my desk lol
March 8, 2013 6:02:50 PM

Well hold on, I might have miss understood you. My reply was about one device using both wired/wireless connection at the same time. You may be able to have it so one device uses wifi and another uses wired.
a b F Wireless
March 8, 2013 6:16:11 PM

thebuilder79 said:
i have a mifi 2200 virgin mobile internet and i have three computers useing a roswill wireless adapter and every computer has one to get on the internet, and i have a switch for all my ethernet cards to hook to. i want to use the switch so that i can use sinergy so that i can use one moust and one keyboard, but the problem is, that when i enable my ethernet card i can no longer access the internet whitch is wireless. i have forced each computer to have its own ip address for example. one is 192.168.1.100, and 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 the wireless is useing 192.168.1.1. so why am i getting a conflict?????

It should work if you place your wired connections on a different network (you could use 10.0.0.x, which would avoid confusion with the existing 192.168.1.0 network). You only need to set up the IP address and netmask. Do not set up a gateway address on those connections.
March 8, 2013 6:53:05 PM

barto said:
Well hold on, I might have miss understood you. My reply was about one device using both wired/wireless connection at the same time. You may be able to have it so one device uses wifi and another uses wired.



ALL three of my computers have to conect to the internet sepratly by wireless. the wired has to be able to work as if the wired and the wireless dont even know eachother exist. i dont have a problem getting on the internet and i dont have a problem useing synergy to use one mouse and 1 keyboard. i just cant do both at the same time. i just changed the wired ip address on server to 10.0.0.100 and the second to 10.0.0.101 and the third to 10.0.0.102 and the subnet mask to 255.0.0.0 so now when i enable the wired network card its not conflicting with wireless internet. i can now access the internet while the wired network card is enabled. so im getting closer but no cookie yet. lol. synergy is still not conecting the three computers yet. thank you guy so much for your help btw
March 8, 2013 10:58:45 PM

Somehow it's really getting difficult here! Why don't you use the wireless for sinergy as well? It should be fast enough. If you want to stay with the wired, you need to change the subnet mask back to 255.255.255.0. Next thing is to tell the sinergy clients the new server address.
March 9, 2013 1:23:00 AM

HEY EVERYONE. YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW I HAVE BOTH AND BELEAVE IT OR NOT IT WAS MY DAG GONE SWITCH WAS BAD. thank you guys so muche for your help. i have my cake and eating it too so to speak. lmao. again thanks and have a good weekend. now i just need to find the drivers for my dell poweredge 850 network card and wouldnt you know that aparently dell dont offer that driver for windows xp bluuuu. damn dell. lmao. if someone knows where i can get the driver, please give me the link. i would take and put in anouther one and disable the onboard but wouldnt you know its not pci, pci ex, agp or anything ive ever seen. just another ploy to keep a brother down lmfao.
March 18, 2013 11:14:59 PM

A wired network requires cables and son to join to computers. Cables info sends packets of knowledge by cables. These are commonly known primarily CAT5 Ethernet cable or cables.

As you may have guessed have a wireless network cables or son of evaluation equipment to connect to it. Your mobile device such as a laptop or phone (via WiFi) can join the network so long as the collection of its signal. Allow extra freedom to move around your workspace.
!