INTEL P4 or KT266

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
With intels huge price drop at the end of the month is it time to consider intel or stick with the kt266 mess. If whats going on now is any indication of things to come with via's new chipset I'm not so sure I'm ready to spend my time keeping my MB stable and who knows whats going to happen when I want to play any of the newest games. I've been waiting for over a month to decide on a good upgrade and each passing day it gets harder. IS it time for intel?

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personaly I dont think that it is time for intel the kt266 chipset hase one known problem to overcome once the motherboard makers figure this out the kt266 will be a solid product and may even shine we will have to see. Though I have a kt133a board and will stay with it until the next wave of chipsets.

SANDMAN
LEAN MEAN KILLIN MACHINE

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Some thing for you to consider is the fact that intel IS going to change the socket used for the P4 within a year. This will leave you with no upgrade path for the current boards. You can start buying the other components you will want eg. DVD, video etc. and use them until things get better. Unless you need a new computer I would wait and see what happens, or at least try to upgrade what you have for now. I just ordered a MSI K7t266 with full knowledge of its shortcomings,but with mobos only costing less than $200 I figure I can buy another one next year when things improve. I made sure all components will work in the future including the AMD "C" chip. The P4 doesnt afford you that option.

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I have a p166 and I've been trying to decide what MB would be the most stable and still be able to overclock. With all the mess around the kt266, I'm lost!!!!

G

I'm currently running a T-Bird 900 at 1GHz on an Asus A7V KT133A. I have no consistent problems with it and am satisfied with the performance. Let's face it, if you don't "need" DDR, don't bother. Go inexpensive, get a 1.1GHz or less T-Bird and 256MB SDRAM, couple them with a nice Geforce 2 MX from Guillemot or something and you'll have a system that will keep you going for quite a while. Don't mess around with the 266/760/ALiMagik junk if you don't have to. It's expensive and unless you're engineering a major city plan or rendering a 3D map of the universe, you'll never notice. Heck, the gaming software out there doesn't even tax my old 32MB Geforce card yet. Hope this helps.

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Besides the preceeding advice (which makes good sense), remember that even though we're going to see a major drop in P4 prices, RDRAM is still a rip-off (triple the cost of DDR SDRAM)!

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
your right what was I thinking! I'm starting to lose it, spending all this time trying to figure out a good system is taking a toll! 5 weeks of brain drain and still no clear anwser.to many mb's to many opinion's.