Keys dont respond while playing games.

kemosabe

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hello I recently installed windows 7 (64-bit) on my new build:

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/ [...] D=15991445

And im running a Nvidia 240 GT 1gDDR5 256-bit

All drivers for hardware are up to date and installed. To be specific on the keys that do not work they are Alphabetical and Numerical keys only, the escape key, tilde key, tab, caps lock, shift, space etc all work... The wierd thing is that the numpad will not respond ingame if num lock is on, If it is off the buttons work BUT it recognizes them as Insert, Page down, Home, Delete etc. What driver or peice of hardware could possibly cause this problem. This problem occurs in Counter Strike Source and Starcraft II, havent tried any others but the problem is identical in the two games. If however i pull up the developer console i can use the keys perfectly to type a command but once im back IN GAME they just dont respond. When i tried to change my key bindings it cycles through numbers 0-9 doesnt matter if i press X 3 times then P 7 times it will go in a sequence of 0-9.

Any help or thoughts would greatly be appreciated =D if you need more info just ask

p.s. It doesnt matter wether i use a usb keyboard or ps/2 it does the same thing =(

EvanBGood

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Wow, that's a strange one... A few things jump to mind that I would check first:

- In the games, check the key bindings. Perhaps they all cleared to nothing? That would explain why you can still use the console. If necessary, you can try editing the bindings outside of the game by looking into the config files (should be a different method to do that for each game)
- Do you have any other input devices plugged into the computer? Two keyboards at once? Or, more importantly, some form of gamepad?
- Which leads to another thought... could the games be trying to run off of a gamepad mode? I don't think Starcraft II has such a feature, but a lot of FPS games give the (rather useless) option to play with a gamepad instead of a mouse and keyboard.
- When in doubt, reinstall stuff. I would try out some other games and programs to see if the problem is universal, too.

Hope one of those things works. I'm kind of wondering what you have for a keyboard, too. I usually use a pretty bland and simple set of keys, so I'm not sure what kind of problems fancier models might have if they have a lot of bells and whistles.

EvanBGood

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
That might be best if that isn't too big of a deal for you. And you said you used two keyboards with the same exact results, right? I think you can play the "what it ISN'T" game. If it isn't the keyboards, it isn't the games themselves, it isn't the video card (can't imagine why the drivers would be a problem there, though you mentioned them), there are only a couple other factors between you pressing a key and something happening on your screen. Windows is definitely one of those, and there most certainly are registry options in Windows that can do all kinds of weird stuff to your keyboard (I have a capslock key that's purposefully rewired to F11, for example). If a clean install of the games doesn't work (a true one; settings and all), try a clean install of Windows. If that doesn't work... Then uh... I may be stumped! Dust on the ps/2? :p

TRENDING THREADS